Gooner for 50 years !

Come in and introduce yourself here, and test the features.

Re: Gooner for 50 years !

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:32 pm

Welcome aboard Kenny.

Look forward to your contributions here, I'm sure you have many a story to tell :)
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Welcome Sir..
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Re: Football and the 60's !

Postby VCC » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:41 pm

kennyp wrote:Hi Bandit, yes, sure was a lot going on during that decade and into the 70's, musically and on the pitch. Here's a few off the cuff anecdotes. I think a lot of people might know how good Leeds were during that period. With Billy Bremner, Alan "Sniffer" Clarke, Norman Hunter (tremendous on pitch punch up with England colleague Frannie Lee in 1975, watch on you tube) Trevor Cherry and Peter Lorimer, they were virtually impossible to beat at their best. Also, a very underated midfielder was Tony Currie of Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds. A Liam Brady style player, he had balance, foresight and a good shot. And having watched the 1978 F.A. Cup final between Leeds and Arsenal (yes, you know!) 0-1, I had the (dubious) privilege of seeing Malcom McDonald getting back on the team coach carrying some sort of fur coat. Not the done thing in those days !

I saw Peter Bonetti in action a few times, once at Worthing when he was a youngster, before he went to Chelsea (sorry to mention the word...) If you can forgive him for some of his world cup gaffes, he was tremendously athletic in his earlier days. In a game for Chelsea, one save in particular stands out in my memory. A fierce, high, curling shot was heading straight for goal. Bonetti wasn't the tallest of keepers but he literally arched upwards and backwards to tip it over one handed, hurting his back in the process as he landed. I'm trying to recall a few of the least obvious but entertaining things I remember, as there are so many anecdotes from those days that it's impossible to recall many of them but, among a few things of a much lesser nature, I was playing in goal at under 15 level for my school team in the Gill Cup, in London. One over-aged player up to eighteen was allowed. The other side clearly had one of those. Make that one and a half ! Result 1-4 and three of those goals that went past me were by - look him up if you don't know - Peter Houseman, later with Chelsea ! (must stop saying that word). Dunno why I never made the grade...

Also met Charlie George a few times, as I knew his mother (only professionally, please !)

Hope that's brought a few smiles and maybe a few memories.

g-day to you sir.................I remember Leeds well my brother (8 years older) is a leeds fan so I still to this day hear of that 70,s leeds team................good to see Tony currie get a mention next to liam brady he was my favorate player although I remember his sublime turns playing for QPR good to have a youngster like you on the forum I look forward also to stories of the past don't bother with the Graham or Wenger era they are fresh in every gooners heart give us the real past :arsenal3:
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:35 pm

Stick around!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby kennyp » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:02 pm

I've stopped trying to find ANYONE older than me on any forum site that I am affiliated to. It used to be a strange realisation. Now it's just calm acceptance ! I'm pretty sure they are about - they just lie ! Cheers mate and all the best.
kennyp
Liam Brady

Postby greengoonerie » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:08 pm

SE13 wrote:Always pleasing to meet someone older than me on here, I'm only 40 years time served. Welcome aboard, memories always welcome. For reference, my first game was the 71 Cup Final :grin:

Ditto here.

Nice to have you here wtih us. Enjoy the respect, mutual admiration and honesty of opinion on this site... :arse flag.gif:
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Previous

Return to Introductions