Gooner for 50 years !

Come in and introduce yourself here, and test the features.

Gooner for 50 years !

Postby kennyp » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:23 am

Hello !

I'm a new boy to the forum have been a gooner since I was 5 and you can add 60 years to that now ! I've seen it all come and go since I watched my first Arsenal game in the fifties and what a game it was ! Arsenal 4 Wolves 4 and I remember Bill Dodgin at centre half and also goalkeeper Jack Kelsey, who played up to the crowd despite letting in 4. I now live in Sussex so it's a bit awkward to get to any games.

Right. Now for more up to date issues. This may be elsewhere on the forum but Arsenal transfers - or the distinct lack of them - are obviously a huge and frustrating issue to us all at the moment. If you go back just a few years we had the likes of Henry, Bergkamp, Adams, Pires and more. We had no real problems - financial or political - with the clubs that were selling these players, unlike today. Just ask yourself who do we really have now that goes anywhere near that collective class of player? Well, apart from trying to squeeze the last drop out of massive transfer fees for their players, today's big boys seem to have entered into a political arena as well as a financial one. For example, Higuain, with half an airline ticket to the Emirates in his pocket, just melts away after what was very likely further political and financial discussions with his advisors - and was Gustavo ever that keen? Then we had the Liverpool CEO and his board re-iterating very, very clearly that there is no way they will sell Suarez - to Arsenal that is ! Far be it fro me to be vindictive but we should issue a statement to Liverpool stating that we will NEVER sell any of our players to them !

We are where we are now in the transfer market mainly because of the above factors. Oh, forgot Rooney is also on the radar now ! Apparently Walcott and Wilshere tried to talk him up at the England match. To me anyway, they could have saved their breath for the game ! Cheers all.

Little bit about me if anyone interested. Played Middlesex Premier league, retired at 36. Now angling, horse riding, oil painting. :pray:
Last edited by kennyp on Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennyp
Liam Brady

Re: Gooner for 50 years !

Postby Zenith » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:37 am

Welcome to GW mate!

A gooner for 50 years hu? :hail:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Zenith » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:40 am

Is it 50 or 60 though? (Title says 50, intro says 60) :Peace:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GSK_AFC » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 am

Wow welcome to the forum :arsesmile:
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 am

Welcome to the forum mate! Will be very interested to pick your brain about back in the day teams!

Which one:

Wenger or Graham?
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby arsebandit » Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:50 am

Hey there.. Be interesting to have your take on the 60's cos for me the 80's were dark dark days..I salute you!!
arsebandit
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby kennyp » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:16 am

Hi Guys, thanks for great welcome. it's a gooner for 60 !

Zedie, you have set a difficult one there. For a start, neither Wenger nor Graham could speak English properly, so the first leg is a draw ! Graham could at least pronounce words correctly. 1-0 to Graham. Wenger (used) to have a great nose for young talent that Graham didn't quite have. (Henry, Fabregas, Walcott, Nasri, Wilshere and so on) It's a 1-1 draw and if that's not sitting on the fence, blame Wenger !
kennyp
Liam Brady

Postby Trina » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:17 am

Welcome to the forum Kenny :)
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby TheArsenalPost » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:35 am

Welcome
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Git » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:40 am

Welcome. :-)
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Swan » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:48 am

:hello:
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:43 pm

Welcome legend.
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: Football and the 60's !

Postby kennyp » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:27 pm

Hi Bandit, yes, sure was a lot going on during that decade and into the 70's, musically and on the pitch. Here's a few off the cuff anecdotes. I think a lot of people might know how good Leeds were during that period. With Billy Bremner, Alan "Sniffer" Clarke, Norman Hunter (tremendous on pitch punch up with England colleague Frannie Lee in 1975, watch on you tube) Trevor Cherry and Peter Lorimer, they were virtually impossible to beat at their best. Also, a very underated midfielder was Tony Currie of Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds. A Liam Brady style player, he had balance, foresight and a good shot. And having watched the 1978 F.A. Cup final between Ipswich and Arsenal (yes, you know!) 0-1, I had the (dubious) privilege of seeing Malcom McDonald getting back on the team coach carrying some sort of fur coat. Not the done thing in those days !

I saw Peter Bonetti in action a few times, once at Worthing when he was a youngster, before he went to Chelsea (sorry to mention the word...) If you can forgive him for some of his world cup gaffes, he was tremendously athletic in his earlier days. In a game for Chelsea, one save in particular stands out in my memory. A fierce, high, curling shot was heading straight for goal. Bonetti wasn't the tallest of keepers but he literally arched upwards and backwards to tip it over one handed, hurting his back in the process as he landed. I'm trying to recall a few of the least obvious but entertaining things I remember, as there are so many anecdotes from those days that it's impossible to recall many of them but, among a few things of a much lesser nature, I was playing in goal at under 15 level for my school team in the Gill Cup, in London. One over-aged player up to eighteen was allowed. The other side clearly had one of those. Make that one and a half ! Result 1-4 and three of those goals that went past me were by - look him up if you don't know - Peter Houseman, later with Chelsea ! (must stop saying that word). Dunno why I never made the grade...

Also met Charlie George a few times, as I knew his mother (only professionally, please !)

Hope that's brought a few smiles and maybe a few memories.
Last edited by kennyp on Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennyp
Liam Brady

Postby Zenith » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:27 pm

As i'm only in my twenties it didn't bring up any memories but nonetheless a very nice read about them good ol' days. One of the few members on here who might remember one or two of the things you have said is starmandb, he's been a gooner for over 40 years I believe.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:40 am

Always pleasing to meet someone older than me on here, I'm only 40 years time served. Welcome aboard, memories always welcome. For reference, my first game was the 71 Cup Final :grin:

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Next

Return to Introductions