Hello

Come in and introduce yourself here, and test the features.

Hello

Postby Balboa » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:25 pm

I'm 25, from South Wales, arguably Britains most successful failure of a student ever.

Started supporting the club for all the wrong reasons. We were naturally splashed all over the media when we signed Dennis Bergkamp many moons ago and it's been Arsenal ever since. Was lucky enough, or not, to go to an FA Cup Final as my first ever Arsenal game. Unfortunately it was the infamous game against Liverpool at The Millenium. Did manage to make one trip to Highbury, again against Liverpool (1-1). Also been to The Emirates, just the once when I was studing in Bucks Uni and we managed to win that one. Have also watched us twice at Old Trafford (the 8-2) and Champions League defeat, as well as twice at The Hawthorns (2-1 Boxing Day win, still remember Dichio's 3rd minute header vividly) and a Carling Cup win with the kids and finally the 0-0 FA Cup draw at Ninian Park. So, yes I've got an appalling record!

Dennis Bergkamp is easily my favourite Arsenal player of my generation and along with Zola and Cantona changed the face of The Premiership forever. Other favourites are Lehamnn, Adams, Keown, Vieira, Petit, Grimandi, Overmars and Henry.

I played football up until I was 21, finished Uni and am yet to get back into it due to work and a lack of Sunday leagues local. I'm one of these who loves a blinding tackle more than a goal and appreciate the art of defence where a defender can read the game and let the ball do the work. I detest the likes of Eboue (I had a party when we sold him), Barton and Suarez for their shambolic antics on the football pitch. In spite of how much I liked to wind players up on a football pitch, there's a way to do it with decorum and if you get splattered but don't get hurt, get up and carry on!

Other than that I'm a big fan of Rugby, played that until I left school and highlights were playing Toulon and Narbonne at Youth level. I'm not a regional fan, the regions suck! When they got rid of the Celtic Warriors I no longer had a side I was affiliated too. My local rugby side are a Semi-Pro outfit who are in The Welsh Premiership after a meteoric rise thanks to a plethora of local talent that took them from Division Six East many moons ago to the top. Unfortunately that talent dried up and can now only boast 3/4 local players who helped us to a record high finish of 4th last season. So, yes I'm very much a local village boy! Aside from Football and Rugby, my other favourite sport would be Boxing.

Anyway, before I start telling you about my dogs worms... hello one and all.
Going in one more round when you don’t think you can – that’s what makes all the difference in your life.
Balboa
Michael Thomas

Re: Hello

Postby TheArsenalPost » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Welcome to the forum. I am curious about the "most successful failure of a student ever" thing. What did you study?
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Zenith » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:28 pm

Welcome to GW mate.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Balboa » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:53 pm

TheArsenalPost wrote:Welcome to the forum. I am curious about the "most successful failure of a student ever" thing. What did you study?

Economics / Marketing at Aberystwyth
Sports Business Management at Bucks New Uni
Politics and (Can't even rememeber - was either Criminology or Sociology I think) at Glamorgan
Going in one more round when you don’t think you can – that’s what makes all the difference in your life.
Balboa
Michael Thomas

Postby TheArsenalPost » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:56 pm

Balboa wrote:
TheArsenalPost wrote:Welcome to the forum. I am curious about the "most successful failure of a student ever" thing. What did you study?

Economics / Marketing at Aberystwyth
Sports Business Management at Bucks New Uni
Politics and (Can't even rememeber - was either Criminology or Sociology I think) at Glamorgan

That sounds alright(ish) but the rest of it would bore me to tears.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Balboa » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:58 pm

Wouldn't know, hardly went! Would explain a lot... In Aberystwyth I was actually asked for my student ID in two of my six final exams.
Balboa
Michael Thomas

Postby TheArsenalPost » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:00 pm

Balboa wrote:Wouldn't know, hardly went! Would explain a lot... In Aberystwyth I was actually asked for my student ID in two of my six final exams.

Haha yeah that's not good. What did you finish uni with if you don't mind me asking?

About to go into my third and final year and I'm shitting it.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Balboa » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:02 pm

About £22k of debt and a headache.
Balboa
Michael Thomas

Postby bengulnaci1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi mate.
bengulnaci1
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Trina » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:22 pm

Welcome to the forum, nice intro too.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Massa » Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:44 pm

Welcome buddy
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:36 pm

Welcome!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:25 pm

Welcome! And there's no wrong reason to start supporting Arsenal ;)
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Emir » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:40 am

Hello everyone.

I an Arsenal supporter since the invincibles era. I am here to have friendly discussions on my favorite club.
Emir
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Zenith » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:56 am

Emir wrote:Hello everyone.

I an Arsenal supporter since the invincibles era. I am here to have friendly discussions on my favorite club.

Welcome Emir, feel free to create a new thread to introduce yourself.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Next

Return to Introductions