Hi from Korea! And Yes, Club Before Country

Come in and introduce yourself here, and test the features.

Hi from Korea! And Yes, Club Before Country

Postby FromKoreaToAmericaNowArsenal » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:21 am

Been lurking for awhile and figured I should make an account.

Born in Korea, raised in America, moved back to Korea where my mates helped me fall in love with football and Arsenal.

How did I become a fan? Bit of a long story, but started with Fantasy Football. All my friends were from UK/SA/IRE and footy fans. They did FPL, asked me to join. I didn't know much about football, but my American pride said I should be able to whip them at this. After all, us Americans invented fantasy sports, just like gunpowder and the printing press! Dived deep in. Most of my friends were Gooners and sad to say, the first ever match I saw of Arsenal was...well...lets just in 2011 and a certain Mr. Wooney, well... Anyways for the next 6 years I would banter my Gooner friends. I didn't really have a team of my own, just the beautiful game. Then sad to say, I got sucked down the AFTV rabbit hole- perfect fodder for banter!

But then something happened, I don't know what month it was but it was 4AM Korea time and I was watching some Europa League match and ranting on Whatsapp about things (and this had been going on for a number of Arsenal matches) - "We're screwing this up. We're playing like crap." Next day my friends were like "Dude, you were up at 4AM watching Europa League, you're an Arsenal fan" and "Dude, you're ranting, and you said "we", you're a Gooner." To which I protested. It was all for the banter. But I was there next match, and after that. And when next season started and I was still there, I realized that they were right. I had never properly had a team and now I did. Somehow I had gotten sucked in and I couldn't leave and I never can and never will. It's probably because I'm from the Detroit area and our teams were going through a similar malaise and I could feel the pain Gooners were going through yet still also feel that pride. Good times or bad, this team is now a part of me.

Now that windy preamble is out of the way, just want to say it ain't easy being a Gooner over here in Korea. Having to constantly hear about that lot and endless replays of whatshisface. I don't care if he is from my birth nation. Club before country.

Looking forward to a continued great experience here and hopefully I can positively contribute!
FromKoreaToAmericaNowArsenal
Liam Brady

Re: Hi from Korea! And Yes, Club Before Country

Postby Zenith » Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:56 pm

Welcome!
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby UFGN » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Welcome!

And as for that lot down the road, you don't worry about them. Last time they won the league your country had only existed in its current form for 13 years. They are pack of clowns with a trophy allergy.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Angelito » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:00 pm

Welcome home!
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Introductions