Monreal - Gibbs Rivalry is Good for Us

Monreal - Gibbs Rivalry is Good for Us

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:26 pm

Monreal - Gibbs rivalry is good for us

Nacho Monreal admits he is "suffering" on the substitutes bench but says his friendly rivalry with Kieran Gibbs is good news for Arsenal.

The Spain international has made 10 appearances this season but only two of those have been starts - one of which ended with Monreal netting the decisive penalty in the Capital One Cup victory at West Bromwich Albion.

Gibbs has made 10 starts and earned a call-up to the England squad for their last two World Cup qualifiers. Monreal has been impressed by Gibbs' form but he is ready to take his own chance when it comes.

"I think that there is a very good rivalry there," Monreal told Arsenal Player. "I think we are two very good players, we give 100 per cent for the team in the training sessions and in the games.

"In truth it is a tough moment for me because the manager is choosing Kieran over me, but to be honest he is playing very well. All of the games that he’s played in he has done well, the team is on a good run, and I don’t see things changing in the short-term.

"There is nothing I can do but to keep training, do the best I can so that when I do get the nod from the manager, I can take advantage of my chance and show him that he can count on me.

"It is tough, every player wants to play, their maximum goal is to play the games, and right now I can only watch - I should say suffer - from the bench. But I will wait for my chance, keep on working, and show the manager that I am not giving up.

"The moment that Kieran steps off the gas, I will be there to take advantage of the opportunity, and carry on in that way."

Having two top-class internationals fighting for one spot is exactly what Arsène Wenger wants and Monreal knows that competition is imperative for successful clubs.

"Yes of course, the higher the level and the more competition for places, the better it is," he said.

"Logically, to have two quality players for every position, the player in the better form will get to play, and that means that you cannot relax. You cannot give up because if you do, you will not play, and that is very beneficial for the team obviously."

Source: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... ood-for-us

Vermaelen should take note
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Re: Monreal - Gibbs Rivalry is Good for Us

Postby Trequartista » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:28 pm

Great attitude. This lad's got his heard screwed on properly.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CynicalGooner » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:36 pm

Very good attitude.

CrimsönGunner11 wrote:Vermaelen should take note

Vermaelen has said nothing wrong. He has been professional about it. Which is probably difficult since he's a better player than the two CB's who are starting.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:54 pm

Yesterday Wenger said something simple but very pertinent.

He said: "Yes of course, the higher the level and the more competition for places, the better it is.

"Logically, to have two quality players for every position, the player in the better form will get to play, and that means that you cannot relax.

"You cannot give up because if you do, you will not play, and that is very beneficial for the team obviously."

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... eran-Gibbs

Vermaelen has not made a fuss but he hasn't exactly said he is willing to even wait till the end of the season to win his place back. I can understand his predicament with the world cup around the corner but he hasn't exactly been in good form and has only just returned from a lengthy injury spell. Vermaelen will not be a starter at any top club in his current form.

Monreal is fit and is in very good form but he is ready to bide his time while Vermaelen is already making noises of not ruling out a possible move in January. So yes Vermaelen needs to first get back to his peak fitness and form before demanding playing time cos at this point in time with the kind of form he is in he would struggle to break in to the starting eleven of a top club.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:52 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Very good attitude.

CrimsönGunner11 wrote:Vermaelen should take note

Vermaelen has said nothing wrong. He has been professional about it. Which is probably difficult since he's a better player than the two CB's who are starting.

He's definitely been professional about it, no doubt. The difference between the two is that Nacho is thinking more about the team than himself whereas Vermaelen is thinking more about himself than the team if that makes sense. I like Vermaelen and I definitely feel for him but atm he's going to have to wait like Nacho. He will get playing time no doubt. The Capital One Cup game against Chelsea and possibly one of the CL games against Dortmund are waiting for him. Its up to Vermaelen whether he chooses to perform or not.

Besides, its not like Belgium are going to go to the World Cup without Vermaelen. He's definitely one of their most important players IMO and would still go to Brazil even if he's off form. Whether he starts depends on the options Belgium have in the CB and LB positions.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby Est83 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:28 am

Monreal :clap:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Return to 17. Nacho Monreal