18/01/20 | Arsenal 1-1 Sheffield United | Premier League

Re: 18/01/20 | Arsenal 1-1 Sheffield United | Premier League

Postby Santi » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:34 pm

VCC wrote:
Santi wrote:Why would you pay Ozil the rest of his contract to not use him? That’s some spastic suggestion

To move him on, I personally would keep him and play him against weak teams like a youth player but on 350k a week.
I am only saying it is not impossible to get rid of him, the other option is loan him and we pay a percentage of his wage

He’s not bad enough to do either of those though. If he can give us good games even 50% of the times he plays then we’d be better off than without him.

Don’t give a f**k what wages any of them earn tbh, all too much, but if they perform it doesn’t matter.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Salibatelli » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:35 pm

Yet another dreadful result, it's not working for rookie Arteta at the moment, for all this talk by some of him being the next Guardiola, it's not quite panning out that way at the moment, some very questionnable decisions and he's clearly favouring certain players who really should be out as well.

It was a hard job to take on, that's what makes it even stranger that we would give it to someone with no experience, but what can you say, this club is cheap and has zero ambition.

New manager bounced (which we only saw a bit) is wearing off a bit now and we're seeing the results not coming once again as expected. Maybe Kurzawa can revive our fortunes, the club seem to think so.
Last edited by Salibatelli on Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Salibatelli
Member of the Year 2023
Member of the Year 2023

Postby VCC » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:36 pm

antfosfosant wrote:What is costing us is the back 6’s inability to make a pass through the most basic of lines. None of them have the confidence to thread it through to Ozil/Lacazette/anyone. Today (and in previous games) the first two of those were making runs and dropping off but the back six are too bereft of confidence and/or vision to make the pass, so it ends up with Xhaka to Saka to Luiz and back to where we started. The gaps have closed but still no one can make the transition pass

Last week Luiz made the most telling passes
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby VCC » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:40 pm

Santi wrote:
VCC wrote:
Santi wrote:Why would you pay Ozil the rest of his contract to not use him? That’s some spastic suggestion

To move him on, I personally would keep him and play him against weak teams like a youth player but on 350k a week.
I am only saying it is not impossible to get rid of him, the other option is loan him and we pay a percentage of his wage

He’s not bad enough to do either of those though. If he can give us good games even 50% of the times he plays then we’d be better off than without him.

Don’t give a f**k what wages any of them earn tbh, all too much, but if they perform it doesn’t matter.

Santi I have already said I would keep him but he wouldnt start against decent defending teams, I wouldnt have started him against the team that has one of the best defences in the league like today but we dont have too many options right now either
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:41 pm

Ozi is bollocks just get him out, stinking the place to pieces we have the money to cut our losses
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100
Predictions League 2022-23 Winner

Postby antfosfosant » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:41 pm

VCC wrote:
antfosfosant wrote:What is costing us is the back 6’s inability to make a pass through the most basic of lines. None of them have the confidence to thread it through to Ozil/Lacazette/anyone. Today (and in previous games) the first two of those were making runs and dropping off but the back six are too bereft of confidence and/or vision to make the pass, so it ends up with Xhaka to Saka to Luiz and back to where we started. The gaps have closed but still no one can make the transition pass

Last week Luiz made the most telling passes

Agreed - it was his pass to Ozil, on to Laca who teed up Auba for the goal v Palace. But one of those from the back 6 in the course of 180 mins is not enough. Even when supplemented by some of the longer (again Luiz) balls switching play which were evident v Palace, but not today
antfosfosant
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Re: 18/01/20 | Arsenal vs Sheffield United | Premier League

Postby elkanofan » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:02 pm

themessiah wrote:
elkanofan wrote:What a shit performance.

Shit result.

Because we are a shit quality team.

We are in very serious trouble! I don't think we even had a shot on target all second half, attacks constantly breaking down in the final 3rd with rubbish passes and only Pepe seem to be able to run at players and carry the ball.

To top it all off two games in a row Ozil has been clearly the worst player on the pitch. He gets a 1 for being 'involved' in the goal which was another lucky deflection.

Chelsea at the Bridge next, Burnley away and it will be Newcastle in mid February when we next play at home and have a realistic chance of winning again because this team will not win either of the next two matches based on the quality we have.

Not saying too much bad about Arteta at all. He's just a rookie at the end of the day. I liked his decision to switch our shape up to 3 at the back with Xhaka filling in, mirroring Sheff United actually. But where he's already messed up is he's allowed Ozil to weasel his way back in the team and do absolutely nothing all game with zero consequence. Ceballos sitting on the bench not used. Why? Ozil did absolutely nothing all game. Try someone else in attacking mid.

They don't wanna admit it...

His first 3 performances under Arteta were just a new manager bounce. Last couple weeks he hasn't been up to the same standard... & It's not anything new... He's just gone back to his usual self. We go through this with Özil every season

Thank you.

Drives me insane how people just defending Ozil and refuse to call his shit out.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Marsbar100 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:07 pm

There was a point at barca where they just said to ronaldinho you need to go as he was partying to much and his attitude was wrong, ozil is a million miles from ronaldinho but we need to do the same
Aaron Ramsey aka "The Drought Killer" 2008-2019
Marsbar100

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:29 pm

elkanofan wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
elkanofan wrote:What a shit performance.

Shit result.

Because we are a shit quality team.

We are in very serious trouble! I don't think we even had a shot on target all second half, attacks constantly breaking down in the final 3rd with rubbish passes and only Pepe seem to be able to run at players and carry the ball.

To top it all off two games in a row Ozil has been clearly the worst player on the pitch. He gets a 1 for being 'involved' in the goal which was another lucky deflection.

Chelsea at the Bridge next, Burnley away and it will be Newcastle in mid February when we next play at home and have a realistic chance of winning again because this team will not win either of the next two matches based on the quality we have.

Not saying too much bad about Arteta at all. He's just a rookie at the end of the day. I liked his decision to switch our shape up to 3 at the back with Xhaka filling in, mirroring Sheff United actually. But where he's already messed up is he's allowed Ozil to weasel his way back in the team and do absolutely nothing all game with zero consequence. Ceballos sitting on the bench not used. Why? Ozil did absolutely nothing all game. Try someone else in attacking mid.

Ozil was one of our best players today.
Strange how you single him out when discussing the overall performance - well not strange, really.
Ozil was by far the worst player on the pitch of either side today.

- At least 6-7 careless misplaced passes.

- Dispossessed constantly in the final 3rd when on the ball.

- No shots on goal instead always ALWAYS looking to pass even with space to shoot.

- Slowing attacks down to pass backwards killing momentum.

- Never took players with skill to create space.

- He made i think 1 interception despite playing a deeper almost CM role at times.

He's a nothing player and the biggest problem with the team on the pitch right now, he's the biggest reason we are screwed because his wages are preventing a good replacement coming in.

He's not just past it anymore, he's getting worse by the week. Ceballos is a must to play now in the first team, even though he's better as a CM with another attacking mid ahead of him we need someone with balls to take control of games and take risks.

Its mid January, 10th in the league and we are still closer to the relegation zone than champions league places with just 4 home wins all season! If Ozil was even half as good as you make him out to be we would not be in this position and he would have more than 1 assist and no goals this season mind you!

You need help.
Do you have his picture on a dart board or something??
You didn't watch the game if you actually believe what you wrote.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:31 pm

VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
gooney wrote:good point and closer to our goal for the season staying up. Im confident we will stay up now

I am happy enough this year if we stay up and rebuild for next year.
The problem is I have zero confidence that Arteta will make the wholesale changes required.

If Ozil stays you are 100% correct

Your post makes zero sense.
1 player does not constitute wholesale change - especially when Ozil is the least of our issues.

Ozil is meant to be our number 1 play maker who has contributed almost nothing this season, how is that the least of our problems

He's not played that much this season and is only now getting a run in the team.
Our defence and central midfield protection of the defence remains the biggest issue we have - by a long long way.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby VCC » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:39 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
gooney wrote:good point and closer to our goal for the season staying up. Im confident we will stay up now

The problem is I have zero confidence that Arteta will make the wholesale changes required.

1 player does not constitute wholesale change - especially when Ozil is the least of our issues.

Ozil is meant to be our number 1 play maker who has contributed almost nothing this season, how is that the least of our problems

He's not played that much this season and is only now getting a run in the team.
Our defence and central midfield protection of the defence remains the biggest issue we have - by a long long way.

Thing that has improved from Ozil under Arteta that has never happened prior at Arsenal in his time, is his work rate off the ball defensively at least he is tracking back and pressing although it looks hardly frightening, but for me apart from rolling the ball 10 meters to keep ball he is producing nothing I just dont see how his possition is sustainable with no end product
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Losmeister » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:54 pm

are their people who STILL cannot see how completely washed Ozil is?
Kai Havertz nutmegged ur GK
Losmeister
George Graham
George Graham

Postby jayramfootball » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:17 pm

VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:
VCC wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:

Thing that has improved from Ozil under Arteta that has never happened prior at Arsenal in his time, is his work rate off the ball defensively at least he is tracking back and pressing although it looks hardly frightening, but for me apart from rolling the ball 10 meters to keep ball he is producing nothing I just dont see how his possition is sustainable with no end product

He's always been one of the hardest working players at the club.
No one else in our team is as good at retaining possession, no one else is even close at timing and weighting passes.
He has added a little aggression to his game (a little) but he never needed that anyway.
That we are even discussing him as part of this match is a joke - He had a fairly decent game, nothing special, but he becomes the focus of attention for bat sh*t crazy fans who have some weird need to focus on him whenever we don't get a result.

#1 pass accuracy in the team today
#1 tackler in the team today - both attempted and successful tackles
#3 on the team today taking players on and beating them
#1 of our forward players today in terms of involvement/touches
#1 in on the team today with deadball accuracy - 2 corners both found their mark.
#1 in the team today for Key Passes

I get that you want him to win games on his own because he is on £350k a week, but this is not Football Mangager of Fifa 19. Wages and transfer fees mean squat. No player in the world, Messi and Ronaldo included, could turn us into a great team from where we are now. Today we played a team who are simply better than us, better players overall, a better manager and hungrier. We actually LIFTED ourselves to get a result, but some STILL can't accept we're mid table level with mid table players - with just 1 or 2 excellent players left in the team - Ozil being one of them. Best be careful about blaming our good players because they can't conjure up miracles - we'll end up with just the utter shite left and you'll be wondering why we got even worse.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Wenger's ghost » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:39 pm

Ozils our most creative midfielder so if he's out of the side we create even less, imagine that!! If auba was playing he would have drawn more attention from their players thus giving him more time and space, not making too many excuses for him it wasn't one of his best games but he's not the main problem in this very average team
Wenger's ghost
Patrick Vieira

Postby Nuggets » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:41 pm

Losmeister wrote:are their people who STILL cannot see how completely washed Ozil is?

Yup :rofll:
Nuggets
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner
Predictions League 2016-17 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2019-20