06/10/19 | Arsenal 1-0 Bournemouth | Premier League

Re: 06/10/19 | Arsenal 1-0 Bournemouth | Premier League

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:21 pm

Sims wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Santi wrote:Well for me the prime source of enjoyment is the football played, the win is important but I get less joy out of us winning than us playing nice football. Don't get me wrong, constantly losing with nice football would be shit as well but the reason to watch is to be entertained while winning, if you only care about the result there's no point attending or watching.

Ideally we would have both the majority of the time but if we won every game like today and won the title I probably wouldn't even be that bothered.

Really? You get more joy out of the style of football than winning a game?

OK.

this is 2019, not 1974

all successful clubs do both

Exactly, good managers and winning managers have been sacked because the board/fans didn't like the style. They want to win but in a good and entertaining way.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:22 pm

Ach wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Santi wrote:Well for me the prime source of enjoyment is the football played, the win is important but I get less joy out of us winning than us playing nice football. Don't get me wrong, constantly losing with nice football would be shit as well but the reason to watch is to be entertained while winning, if you only care about the result there's no point attending or watching.

Ideally we would have both the majority of the time but if we won every game like today and won the title I probably wouldn't even be that bothered.

OK.

Welcome to to new age fans.

Aye, new age fans that have attended more games in the last 3 seasons than you have in this made up 300 year life you ramble on about. Can we get anymore stories of you and Herbie Chaps down the local speakeasy in the 30's?
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Phil71 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:23 pm

Santi wrote:Yes, whats the point in watching if it's boring? I wouldn't even be interested in football if Arsenal played like this my whole life..would've just found another sport.

Like I said, if all you care about is winning then whats the point in watching? Just check the scores after the game. If the style is soulless then so is the win.

I guess some fans have different ideas on what gives them a real hit.

For me it's winning.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Phil71 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Sims wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

OK.

this is 2019, not 1974

Football is about winning.

Even the most entertaining clubs have ugly wins.
Phil71
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:26 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Santi wrote:Yes, whats the point in watching if it's boring? I wouldn't even be interested in football if Arsenal played like this my whole life..would've just found another sport.

Like I said, if all you care about is winning then whats the point in watching? Just check the scores after the game. If the style is soulless then so is the win.

For me it's winning.

So tell me - do you equate today's win with any of the wins we had in the early 2000's in terms on happiness and satisfaction? Games where we used to outplay Real Madrid and Juventus or smash Boro 7-0? Did you even enjoy today's game as much as the win on Thursday?

If you did then fine, I don't get it but that would be consistent. However, I'm sure everyone prefers a win with attacking football and more goals..hence style being important.
Last edited by Santi on Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Angelito » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:26 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:Xhaka offering nothing but a warm body doesn't help the team either.

And who is it that refuses to bench Xhaka?

Will you stop.

Yes we ALL know its Emery, does that really need pointing out?

You'll get your moment of truth come end of season, no point banging the drum this side of Christmas, there's a few things I'm not overly happy about but it is what it is.

Stop what?

Stop discussing in a discussion board because you don't like what you read?

Emery has brought this all on himself. And fans have every right to criticize him for the style, for playing Xhaka, for not having a midfield, etc.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Sims » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:27 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Sims wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

OK.

this is 2019, not 1974

yes they do

except we have ugly wins about 90% of the time, we havent won by more than a one goal margin in the premier league so far this season

this is exactly like that unbeaten run we had last year, which we were woeful in pretty much every game
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:28 pm

Phil71 wrote:
Sims wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

OK.

this is 2019, not 1974

ffs that's not the point, if it was 1 or 2 ugly wins that's fine..we all know that's gonna happen. Problem is pretty much every PL win this season has been ugly, can't recall a good win outside of trash opposition (Forest, Liege etc.)
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Jase89 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:29 pm

Phil71 wrote:

For me it's winning.

Agree with you on that one. If we entertain while getting the 3 points then I’m over the moon. But if we win ugly by one goal I’ll take that all day long. Winning trophies is all about picking up points where you can. And if you just care about entertaining football rather than grabbing the 3 point, best of luck to you. This is a competition remember. And I thought all Arsenal fans wanted us to win the premier league after so long, obviously some would prefer to be entertained rather than lift the PL trophy
Jase89
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Sims » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Jase89 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

For me it's winning.

Agree with you on that one. If we entertain while getting the 3 points then I’m over the moon. But if we win ugly by one goal I’ll take that all day long. Winning trophies is all about picking up points where you can. And if you just care about entertaining football rather than grabbing the 3 point, best of luck to you. This is a competition remember. And I thought all Arsenal fans wanted us to win the premier league after so long, obviously some would prefer to be entertained rather than lift the PL trophy

please tell me the last time a team played consistently shit football en route to winning the premier league, im all ears
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Jase89 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Santi wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Sims wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

OK.

this is 2019, not 1974

ffs that's not the point, if it was 1 or 2 ugly wins that's fine..we all know that's gonna happen. Problem is pretty much every PL win this season has been ugly, can't recall a good win outside of trash opposition (Forest, Liege etc.)

If we can get Tierney and Bellerin in the starting 11 then hopefully we can score a few more goals
Jase89
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Holdini » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:32 pm

i think there's a difference between having a philosophy of winning ugly and getting 3 points vs just looking ugly and getting 3 points. if our plan was to be simeone'eske and grind out results then yes that was a great 3 points as we carried out the tactics. but emery's style is about attacking, free flowing, quick football, and our performances so far haven't shown that.
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Jase89 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:32 pm

Sims wrote:
Jase89 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

For me it's winning.

please tell me the last time a team played consistently shit football en route to winning the premier league, im all ears

If you understood what I wrote, you would see I meant picking up the 3 points. Not just playing shit
Jase89
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Santi » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Sims wrote:
Jase89 wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

For me it's winning.

2005 but even that shit style had some substance in the form of a good defence and a potent attack.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Power n Glory » Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:33 pm

Sims wrote:
Phil71 wrote:
Sims wrote:
Phil71 wrote:

OK.

this is 2019, not 1974

yes they do

except we have ugly wins about 90% of the time, we havent won by more than a one goal margin in the premier league so far this season

this is exactly like that unbeaten run we had last year, which we were woeful in pretty much every game

I fear we're repeating the final few years of Wenger. Emery will do just enough to not get the sack but will always be far away from a title challenge. This isn't the way to go.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2019-20