03/10/19 | Arsenal 4-0 Standard Liège | Europa League

Re: 03/10/19 | Arsenal vs Standard Liège | Europa League

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Excellent performance. Plenty of positives to talk about. Would love to that team play against better opposition because we defended well, controlled the midfield and attacked with purpose.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:54 pm

indy23 wrote:
Holdini wrote:
indy23 wrote:Pepe will improve. He's too skilled too. He just needs time. He's our attacker of the future and he has the tools.

he doesn't look 100% fit.

That's exactly what I told my brother during Monday's game. He will add a lil more muscle as well and he should gradually show his class.

He does look a bit slow at times. Maybe he should be given a week or 2 off to sort himself out and get his energy back up.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:57 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
indy23 wrote:
Holdini wrote:
indy23 wrote:Pepe will improve. He's too skilled too. He just needs time. He's our attacker of the future and he has the tools.

That's exactly what I told my brother during Monday's game. He will add a lil more muscle as well and he should gradually show his class.

He does look a bit slow at times. Maybe he should be given a week or 2 off to sort himself out and get his energy back up.

He should have started the game so he could grow in confidence relax a bit more and find the tempo. In his first 10 minutes on he was trying to force something with every touch. As the game grew on he started to play it more simple and was finding himself in good positions but the game was coming to an end.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:57 pm

SuperTurrek wrote:Martinelli.. This guy needs to get some starts in the Premier League. What else can the kid do? He's working his socks off and playing wonderful football on top of goals and assists.

This guy is f***ing amazing!

Take a bow Martinelli!

4 goals and an assist in 2 starts now for Martinelli.
OK, so not in the PL, but even so, he looks so sharp and he also looks like a team player. Worked so hard tonight.
Can;t be overstated how good that was tonight for such a young player.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby DiamondGooner » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:57 pm

SuperTurrek wrote:Martinelli.. This guy needs to get some starts in the Premier League. What else can the kid do? He's working his socks off and playing wonderful football on top of goals and assists.

Take a bow Martinelli!

No, not yet.

We have Laca, Auba etc

Let Martinelli destroy the cup teams, get his confidence sky high and levelled up then ....... unleash him on the Prem.

He'll have tests to come, the teams in the Europa latter stages will be bigger names, we'll get to see how he handles that first.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:01 pm

jayramfootball wrote:
elkanofan wrote:
Mess wrote:
elkanofan wrote:pepe again, no right foot, no awareness to try things that don't involve using the right hand side, just cut in and cross/run/shoot. This is my concern, his decision making isn't even the big problem its the fear he has to use his right at all makes him so predictable.

Agreed. It's still too early to tell but how long does someone need to just start make the simple plays? Actually, I would think this is the default attitude when you start in a new team and new league: Keep it simple until you're comfortable. But he's not even doing that.

Yeah, the concerns grows each game :(

This isn't a confidence thing i think anymore, it he needs to simply his game, work the flanks more and just concentrate on basics.

He's got to start injecting pace into his game.
He is so slow.. I don;t mean pace.. he has that... it's just he doesn;t get about the pitch into dangerous positions and his play in the final third when he is there is substandard for a half decent player, let alone one we paid £73m for.

You'd think he would be bursting to get on in a game we coasting in. Any mistake he made would not matter
You mean his decision making is slow. That's what I'm seeing

That's the problem. He gets the ball and slows the pace down to look to try and cut inside/ pass inside or shoot across the keeper.

He never ever looks to work the space on his right hand side ever, he's not done that once since joining us. He is so afraid to use his right for anything. Right now he's very easy to play against and he has to take responsibility to change that!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:03 pm

Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
indy23 wrote:
Holdini wrote:

He should have started the game so he could grow in confidence relax a bit more and find the tempo. In his first 10 minutes on he was trying to force something with every touch. As the game grew on he started to play it more simple and was finding himself in good positions but the game was coming to an end.

Definitely agree he should have started this. He needs more easy games with a good team to help him through the game. Saying this, he'll probably start against Bournemouth with players like Xhaka in the middle which I suspect will be a tough game and will just do more damage to his confidence
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11

Postby Holdini » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:07 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
indy23 wrote:
Holdini wrote:

he didn't have a pre-season. he was at AFCON during the summer.
Holdini
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby #ST » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:11 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:

Take a bow Martinelli!

No, not yet.

We have Laca, Auba etc

Let Martinelli destroy the cup teams, get his confidence sky high and levelled up then ....... unleash him on the Prem.

He'll have tests to come, the teams in the Europa latter stages will be bigger names, we'll get to see how he handles that first.

We don't have Lacazette available at the moment. Seeing as he will never pass up on Xhaka he should start with:

Leno; Chambers, Luiz, Sokratis, Kolasinac; Xhaka, Guendouzi, Ceballos; MARTINELLI, Saka, Aubameyang.
Wembley:
Community Shield @6-8-'23 = 1*-1 Manchester City

Emirates Stadium:
First game @10-9-'11 = 1 - 0 Swansea
Most memorable game @24-2-'22 = 2 - 1 Wolves
Last game @09-03-'24 = 2 - 1 Brentford
Next game @03-04-'24 = VS Luton [ Block 121 - Seat 847 ]
#ST
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner
Predictions League 2019-20, 2021-22 Winner

Postby jayramfootball » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:14 pm

With Saka and Martinelli, we have two potentially huge stars on our hands - or should I say in our hands.
Two 18 year olds (and only just turned 18 too).
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby Power n Glory » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:19 pm

CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
Power n Glory wrote:
CrimsonGunner11 wrote:
indy23 wrote:
Holdini wrote:

Definitely agree he should have started this. He needs more easy games with a good team to help him through the game. Saying this, he'll probably start against Bournemouth with players like Xhaka in the middle which I suspect will be a tough game and will just do more damage to his confidence

It's just a bit of an overkill on the analysis. Nobody had a particularly poor game but it's being presented that way because we had a few players that shined a lot brighter than others. It was good team performance. No complaints about that one.
Power n Glory
Member of the Year 2022
Member of the Year 2022

Postby Zenith » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:29 pm

Who was your Man of the Match?

Click the shortcut below -

viewtopic.php?f=127&t=33698
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Dejan » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:17 pm

Quality result

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Re: 03/10/19 | Arsenal 4-0 Standard Liège | Europa League

Postby NJ_Gunner » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:48 pm

So Martinez and Mustafi have both played 3 games without conceding a single goal...I know I’ll get killed for saying this but might be time to think about using them in the EPL...
NJ_Gunner
Charlie George
Charlie George

Re: 03/10/19 | Arsenal 4-0 Standard Liège | Europa League

Postby Ach » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:46 am

First game I've been to in a while. Left earlier than usual cos had to go to brothers flat as he was coming to the game a season well and he's over from New Zealand. I didn't go to his flat in New Zealand but it was just as far as it was in Stepney Green on the horrible district line. On the way there, saw a gooner with the famous red and white jersey on, I had no Arsenal merchandise on yet we know. We nodded at each other and went our separate ways. Can't remember the last time I wore an arsenal top. I'm not a full kit w***er. Just a plain clothed w***er.

Got my brother, on we went. Weather held out and the trains weren't packed. Good signs for a good night. As we got closer to the bridge, there were stewards directing Arsenal fans shouting Arsenal fans to the right. I saw a few emery haters and they conveniently took a left. Said it all.

Then disaster struck. My Arsenal card wouldn't scan to let me in through the turnstiles. Fortunately I was led in by a steward through the back where I assume bungs and stuff take place. But cos of this I missed he iconic Europa league spine chilling music. Didn't help I stopped to get food but when one is hungry, one has to eat

Game starts, heavens open. Annoyed Auba didn't start but then remember I traded aguero for him so need him fit for the league games even if I think Europa is more important but fantasy is life.

We play good football. Tierney becomes a beast making a mockery of all those fools who doubted him cos he came from up north beyond the wall. Our short goal kick routine actually work for once as we score from it helped by a glorious pass by Mustafi. Showed his inner luiz with that pass. Then we prayed he doesn't show his inner luiz again and f**k up the rest of the night. He didn't.

Martinelli with another great header and a great finish. A shame he didn't get his hat trick. Was the ball going in when ceballos tapped it in? Nevertheless good to see the Spaniard score and finish a game. With his rise comes the end for Ozil. No bigger fan than Ozil than me but we are getting the results so can't criticise the Don. Others have agendas. I save my agendas for something else.

Was interested to see how our kids would do. Willock bossed it. AMN was there. Nelson is finished. Holding is a captain in the making. Loved how when AMN made a mistake and Martinez made a save, holding went straight to AMN and told him to keep his head up. Tierney and Willock did likewise. Great to see bellerin back

Went to the Arsenal shop before and after the match. £150 spent on nephews to take back to New Zealand and for me to wear. Refuse to get the kit but hoodies and other shit is fine.

With Arsenal on the up, it's a good time to go to matches. Hope is rekindled. Looking forward to the next game. On we go
Ach
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2019-20