29/05/19 | Chelsea 4-1 Arsenal | Europa League Final

Re: 29/05/19 | Chelsea 4-1 Arsenal | Europa League Final

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu May 30, 2019 6:27 am

coolaa wrote:our midfield were too slow and small.

should have started
Guendouzi (AM)
Iwobi(DM) AMN(DM)

Not as skillful as ozil-xhaka-torreira, but at least can fxxking run.
Iwobi at DM?
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby coolaa » Thu May 30, 2019 7:44 am

Tony_Adams wrote:

should have started
Guendouzi (AM)
Iwobi(DM) AMN(DM)

Iwobi at DM?

CM, DM whatever you wan to call it.
coolaa
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 30, 2019 7:52 am

The problems with us last night were the same problems that have blighted us all season long.

1) We give away too many chances. We get cut to shreds far too easily. This is a coaching issue, we lose our shape and over commit. Chelsea had a 2 vs 1 at one point in the 1st half ffs!

2) Too many individual mistakes. If its not CBs making rash decisions trying to win balls they either can't win or shouldn't try to win its full backs out of position then making rash lunges in the box. That tackle by AMN epitomises the point. But AMN is a midfielder, why has he been playing RB? Because Lichsteiner is shit. Fine. Are you telling me there is not a half decent defender in the entire club including the reserves that couldn't play there instead? Bollox.

3) Ozil didn't create, partly down to him partly down to the options around him. He was picking up the ball deep, we need him further forward. But when he is further forward we need movement and runners. We have no damn runners so most of Ozil's game is negated. He is just an expensive nobody in that case, unable to affect the game. He coasts through games taking the easy option but I winder how much of that is because there are often few options for him when he is on the ball.

4) Xhaka was our best midfielder by far. Let that sink in!! What happened to Torreira? He was pulled from pillar to post. We had 2 CMs that, come a Chelsea attack, were all too often nowhere near the middle of the pitch. Xhaka played some classy balls. But the midfield looked slow and ponderous. This same midfield had looked like world beaters at times though.

5) Help from wide was supposed to come from the wing backs, AMN put in a couple of half decent crosses but Kola was dog shit!! Not only offensively but defensively. I can't remember the last time he actually picked someone out with a cross. Look at the Giroud header, he was as picked out by Emerson. So our forward players don't get the service they need.

6) On to our forwards, Auba was terrible yesterday and to be honest he is mostly terrible. His link up play is some of the worst I have seen from any Arsenal forward and he lacks movement. Both he and Laca miss too many good chances - missing the target. They score lots of goals which is their saving grace but, need far too many chances getting there.

The problems here are 2 fold, a system not suited to the players/player's attributes and that is fully down to the manager and the players themselves either not being good enough for the role or making the wrong decisions on the pitch.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 30, 2019 7:56 am

coolaa wrote:
Tony_Adams wrote:

should have started
Guendouzi (AM)
Iwobi(DM) AMN(DM)

Iwobi at DM?

CM, DM whatever you wan to call it.

If you don't know the difference between the 2 you have no business giving an opinion.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby themessiah » Thu May 30, 2019 8:15 am

Worst Arsenal players last night:
1) Aubameyang.
Sloppy and poor.

2) Lacazette
PLayed like a ligue 1 player, did not even play like EPL top striker today

3) Kolasinac
Please learn how to cross ffs!

4) Özil
Invisible for too much of the game

5) AMN
Dreadful defending. Dumbass penalty to give away
Image Image
themessiah
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby jayramfootball » Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 am

EliteKiller wrote:
jayramfootball wrote:I thought you said we were as good as City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea?
Perhaps not.

You celebrating a terrible defeat just to score a personal point? who didn't see that coming .... what a c***

Read this then go shove your "only 20m more" right up your arse ... you trolling piece of filth

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-7074643/Winning-Europa-League-final-worth-90MILLION-Arsenal.html

and yeah I am pissed off ................................................

Celebrating a terrible defeat? Er, no. Quite disappointed, but for those of us who know about the game, last nights result was not a surprise. SO I am certainly not shocked. At least not as shocked as those who live in a dream world where were as good as City and Liverpool and ready to win the CL.
We're not even close to that level and we've not missed out on much by not being in it because we'd only get to the last 16 anyway, if we're lucky.

Now, from your link, which I don;t think you read as it confirms the £20m difference :) :
Arsenal stand to pocket around £43.4m in prize money if they defeat their London rivals and that would rise to £47.5m if they beat either Liverpool or Tottenham in the UEFA Super Cup in Istanbul on August 14.

But simply appearing in the group stage of next season's Champions League would see Arsenal almost double their money, with over £20m television money, a hefty coefficient payment and a 'starting fee' of £13.4m just for participating.

If Arsenal were to replicate their Europa League group stage record of five wins and one draw from this season in next season's Champions League, they would add another £21m.

So from your link..., CL money... £20m TV money, £13.4m appearance money, £21m if we won most of our group games...that's £54.4m. Tack on another £5m for losing in the last 16... £60m then.
For EL win? £43.4m - given we came second , it's about £40m
Erm, that's £20m difference, which kind of makes sense given that I already told you the ACTUAL difference in our income EL season semi final vs CL season last 16 was £20m.
Thanks for the link - it is another data point to confirm I was right.

We don't need the CL. Lot's of rebuilding to do.
Constant humiliations against the better teams is not much of a help.
Last edited by jayramfootball on Thu May 30, 2019 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 30, 2019 11:33 am

Depressing, and feels like we didn't progress one bit this season.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Emeryates » Thu May 30, 2019 11:39 am

theHotHead wrote:The problems with us last night were the same problems that have blighted us all season long.

1) We give away too many chances. We get cut to shreds far too easily. This is a coaching issue, we lose our shape and over commit. Chelsea had a 2 vs 1 at one point in the 1st half ffs!

2) Too many individual mistakes. If its not CBs making rash decisions trying to win balls they either can't win or shouldn't try to win its full backs out of position then making rash lunges in the box. That tackle by AMN epitomises the point. But AMN is a midfielder, why has he been playing RB? Because Lichsteiner is shit. Fine. Are you telling me there is not a half decent defender in the entire club including the reserves that couldn't play there instead? Bollox.

3) Ozil didn't create, partly down to him partly down to the options around him. He was picking up the ball deep, we need him further forward. But when he is further forward we need movement and runners. We have no damn runners so most of Ozil's game is negated. He is just an expensive nobody in that case, unable to affect the game. He coasts through games taking the easy option but I winder how much of that is because there are often few options for him when he is on the ball.

4) Xhaka was our best midfielder by far. Let that sink in!! What happened to Torreira? He was pulled from pillar to post. We had 2 CMs that, come a Chelsea attack, were all too often nowhere near the middle of the pitch. Xhaka played some classy balls. But the midfield looked slow and ponderous. This same midfield had looked like world beaters at times though.

5) Help from wide was supposed to come from the wing backs, AMN put in a couple of half decent crosses but Kola was dog shit!! Not only offensively but defensively. I can't remember the last time he actually picked someone out with a cross. Look at the Giroud header, he was as picked out by Emerson. So our forward players don't get the service they need.

6) On to our forwards, Auba was terrible yesterday and to be honest he is mostly terrible. His link up play is some of the worst I have seen from any Arsenal forward and he lacks movement. Both he and Laca miss too many good chances - missing the target. They score lots of goals which is their saving grace but, need far too many chances getting there.

The problems here are 2 fold, a system not suited to the players/player's attributes and that is fully down to the manager and the players themselves either not being good enough for the role or making the wrong decisions on the pitch.

To add to this, Iwobi should have been on first minute of the second half. It was obvious Chelsea were struggling down their right hand side, and Iwobi would have meant that Kolasinac would have been more dangerous too, with more space to play in.
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby EliteKiller » Thu May 30, 2019 11:40 am

jayramfootball wrote: We don't need the CL. Lot's of rebuilding to do.

Get lost you odious troll ....
EliteKiller
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 am

StL, the only good thing to come from this season is the knowledge that Emery MUST fix our defensive issues this coming season, I mean, if he does not see that is our biggest and most pressing issue then he deserves to be sacked.
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby theHotHead » Thu May 30, 2019 11:45 am

EliteKiller wrote:

Hehehe, EK getting his arse handed to him again :lol:
theHotHead
Poster of the Month
Poster of the Month

Postby Emeryates » Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 am

jayramfootball did not add in the TV money, which is the bulk of the money we got from EL, and would get from CL as well.

It's easily nearer 40 million than 20 million, which explains the 35 million drop in revenue.

I would also be surprised if our sponsors don't have clauses in either, in case of EL, instead of CL
Emeryates
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby StLGooner » Thu May 30, 2019 12:16 pm

theHotHead wrote:StL, the only good thing to come from this season is the knowledge that Emery MUST fix our defensive issues this coming season, I mean, if he does not see that is our biggest and most pressing issue then he deserves to be sacked.

Didn't we already know that needed fixing though?

I don't think we had to go thru a whole other season to figure that out.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jayramfootball » Thu May 30, 2019 1:42 pm

EliteKiller wrote:

Your own link proved you wrong.
Your argument is in tatters, so I guess all you've got is insults.

I don't mind positivity, but when you insult others for questioning your inaccuracies or fantsasies that we're as good as City, that's not just too much to not call you on, but also counter productive. We had years of fans pretending Wenger was not a complete idiot. We suffered becasue of it.

We're behind City, Liverpool, Spurs and Chelsea. Utd and us are on about the same level and other clubs are catching us.
It's time to rebuild, not hope or kid ourselves.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

Postby jayramfootball » Thu May 30, 2019 1:48 pm

theHotHead wrote:StL, the only good thing to come from this season is the knowledge that Emery MUST fix our defensive issues this coming season, I mean, if he does not see that is our biggest and most pressing issue then he deserves to be sacked.

Yep, it's not even complicated. We have lots of positions where we need to strengthen, but our defence is priority 1 and if that's all we fix then fine.
We have 1 defender who is good enough to play at the highest level - Sokratis. Everyone else needs to go and we need quality replacements.
jayramfootball
Member of the Year 2021
Member of the Year 2021

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2018-19