22/12/18 | Arsenal 3-1 Burnley | Premier League

Re: 22/12/18 | Arsenal vs Burnley | Premier League

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:38 pm

Cannoner wrote:
Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Interest: waning wrote:
Santi wrote:Rather progress in a cup and have a chance to win it than throw that away for a game at home to Burnley.

Emery's been getting his priorities wrong so far (Hudds over Man Utd and Qarabag over Saints) so let's see what he does this week. Should just play the best team in both but it's the defence where we have a problem.
Are you mad? I couldn't care less about the Worthington Shite.

Have you not noticed we are now trailing quite badly in the race for Top 4 in the league?

It's all going tits up and our team is shit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well I'm glad you said it, I was going to say the same but a lot less polite.

Rather progress in a cup (the carabao cup of all things) than win a prem game, when we're fighting for top 4"???

Sometimes you come out with the weirdest sh*t, speechless. :doh:

Cannoner wrote:Can't believe what I'm reading, people happy with a loss to Spurs. We need to beat them c***.

No question.

We're not happy with a loss to Spurs, its about priorities, end game, I'd rather finish above Spurs than stretch our team in a pointless cup (this season) when we tbh need as less comps as possible, we need to give 100% to the league and the Europa, that's it.

We already beat Spurs when it mattered, I'd happily give them this game just to crash out of the Carabao and finish above them and beat them again in the Prem in the next game ......... when it actually matters.

Who cares about top 4 you boring bastards? You slagged Wenger going for top 4 for years now you want it over trophies? My god, the era of the modern fan or what.

Rather win the community shield than top 4 and nothing ffs, you don't remember coming 4th, you remember getting destroyed by Barcelona and days out at Wembley.

They can gloat to their grandkids about that time when Unai Emery came in and got top 4 in his first season :rofll:

I'd rather gloat about him winning a trophy in his first season :arse flag.gif:

So would you rather win the Europa or the Carabao cup?

This response will very telling, drum roll please, we're about to find out a lot in this answer.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Cannoner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:40 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Cannoner wrote:
Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:Rather progress in a cup and have a chance to win it than throw that away for a game at home to Burnley.

Emery's been getting his priorities wrong so far (Hudds over Man Utd and Qarabag over Saints) so let's see what he does this week. Should just play the best team in both but it's the defence where we have a problem.

Have you not noticed we are now trailing quite badly in the race for Top 4 in the league?

Rather progress in a cup (the carabao cup of all things) than win a prem game, when we're fighting for top 4"???

Cannoner wrote:Can't believe what I'm reading, people happy with a loss to Spurs. We need to beat them c***.

No question.

We're not happy with a loss to Spurs, its about priorities, end game, I'd rather finish above Spurs than stretch our team in a pointless cup (this season) when we tbh need as less comps as possible, we need to give 100% to the league and the Europa, that's it.

We already beat Spurs when it mattered, I'd happily give them this game just to crash out of the Carabao and finish above them and beat them again in the Prem in the next game ......... when it actually matters.

Who cares about top 4 you boring bastards? You slagged Wenger going for top 4 for years now you want it over trophies? My god, the era of the modern fan or what.

Rather win the community shield than top 4 and nothing ffs, you don't remember coming 4th, you remember getting destroyed by Barcelona and days out at Wembley.

They can gloat to their grandkids about that time when Unai Emery came in and got top 4 in his first season :rofll:

This response will very telling, drum roll please, we're about to find out a lot in this answer.

We can win both. After Liverpool at home on 29/12 we have Fulham at home then FA cup the week after. We can rotate and players can get a 2 week rest :arse flag.gif:
A new era.
Cannoner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:42 pm

Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Santi wrote:Ah so you admit you are trolling at last? About time.

If Trolling amounts to putting a bad tempered little boy in his place who calls the posters of the forum and I quote "Dumb f*cks" then I'm guilty as charged.

The irony in this post is unreal :rofll: :rofll:

Goodnight DG, you just buried yourself.

Just some advice, if your going to run for the hills then drop the shovel, it'll only slow you down.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby DiamondGooner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:47 pm

Cannoner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Cannoner wrote:
Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

No question.

We can win both. After Liverpool at home on 29/12 we have Fulham at home then FA cup the week after. We can rotate and players can get a 2 week rest :arse flag.gif:

............. I would happily agree if our players weren't dropping like flies.

Bellerin out, Kos may as well be out with that last performance, Rob Holding out, Welbeck out.

We're a bit light squad wise and the Europa and the Prem are the hardest but most rewarding comps and we're in a shout for both of those, I'd rather win the Europa and make a good crack at the Prem seeing as we're right there then over stretch the squad and end up losing games like Southampton.

If we were 8th I'd be singing a different tune, but we're 5th, if we give up now on the prem then that 22 unbeaten run will be for nothing.
DiamondGooner
SE13
SE13

Postby Cannoner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:55 pm

DiamondGooner wrote:
Cannoner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Cannoner wrote:
Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

No question.

Bellerin out, Kos may as well be out with that last performance, Rob Holding out, Welbeck out.

We're a bit light squad wise and the Europa and the Prem are the hardest but most rewarding comps and we're in a shout for both of those, I'd rather win the Europa and make a good crack at the Prem seeing as we're right there then over stretch the squad and end up losing games like Southampton.

If we were 8th I'd be singing a different tune, but we're 5th, if we give up now on the prem then that 22 unbeaten run will be for nothing.

I understand where you are coming from but a win builds confidence and enhances the mentality of the players, so there's a lot of up side in beating your nearest rivals twice in the space of a few weeks. In the words of Zlatan, the players will feel like lions.

At the moment Unai has one over Poch but if they beat us I worry what effect that would have in their managerial battle and it'll give Spurs confidence against Unai's Arsenal. 2-0 to Unai could be mentally damaging.

I do not want to lose against these lot. We have Burnley at home and Brighton away next up, maybe we could rotate then.
A new era.
Cannoner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby BrunelGooner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:12 pm

Cannoner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Cannoner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Cannoner wrote:
Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

No question.

I understand where you are coming from but a win builds confidence and enhances the mentality of the players, so there's a lot of up side in beating your nearest rivals twice in the space of a few weeks. In the words of Zlatan, the players will feel like lions.

At the moment Unai has one over Poch but if they beat us I worry what effect that would have in their managerial battle and it'll give Spurs confidence against Unai's Arsenal. 2-0 to Unai could be mentally damaging.

I do not want to lose against these lot. We have Burnley at home and Brighton away next up, maybe we could rotate then.

When you put it like this, I do understand your argument. But let me just make clear - for the THIRD time - I do not want to lose against Spurs. What I am saying is we need to be intelligent about how we focus on the upcoming matches because the first team squad will be relied on a lot and we have bad injuries piling up. I am willing to take the risk and play a weakened side against them because the League Cup isn't a priority for our season objectives. We already beat them in the game that matters anyway.

However, I completely disagree with rotating against Burnley and Brighton. The league is our bread and butter. We need to put everything into the Premier League and the Europa.

This is the point I'm trying to make.

We are still in a rebuilding phase. To get the best players, and to retain our best players, we need Champions League football. This is not me being defeatist, this is just the reality of modern day football.

Winning the FA Cup or League Cup, unfortunately, will not help us buy big name players. Especially as the prize money is absolutely rubbish. And the inflated transfer fees aren't going to stop soaring, even for average players.

Wenger didn't get mocked for constantly finishing in the top 4, he got mocked because he said it was a trophy. There's a clear distinction there.

Despite those words, he still managed to win 3 FA Cups in 4 years. As we have already ended our trophy drought, and won multiple FA Cups, our concern right now should be trying to build a squad that can compete for major honours for many years to come.

We want to be winning league titles and Champions Leagues. Sacrificing our injury-plagued squad for domestic cup competitions is not going to help us do that.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Cannoner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:59 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:
Cannoner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Cannoner wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:
Cannoner wrote:
Santi wrote:
DiamondGooner wrote:

No question.

When you put it like this, I do understand your argument. But let me just make clear - for the THIRD time - I do not want to lose against Spurs. What I am saying is we need to be intelligent about how we focus on the upcoming matches because the first team squad will be relied on a lot and we have bad injuries piling up. I am willing to take the risk and play a weakened side against them because the League Cup isn't a priority for our season objectives. We already beat them in the game that matters anyway.

However, I completely disagree with rotating against Burnley and Brighton. The league is our bread and butter. We need to put everything into the Premier League and the Europa.

This is the point I'm trying to make.

We are still in a rebuilding phase. To get the best players, and to retain our best players, we need Champions League football. This is not me being defeatist, this is just the reality of modern day football.

Winning the FA Cup or League Cup, unfortunately, will not help us buy big name players. Especially as the prize money is absolutely rubbish. And the inflated transfer fees aren't going to stop soaring, even for average players.

Wenger didn't get mocked for constantly finishing in the top 4, he got mocked because he said it was a trophy. There's a clear distinction there.

Despite those words, he still managed to win 3 FA Cups in 4 years. As we have already ended our trophy drought, and won multiple FA Cups, our concern right now should be trying to build a squad that can compete for major honours for many years to come.

We want to be winning league titles and Champions Leagues. Sacrificing our injury-plagued squad for domestic cup competitions is not going to help us do that.

Ok fair enough, we disagree on how to play the next fixture so I'm not sure what else to say as I'll just be repeating myself :dontknow: Either way let's hope we come through :arse flag.gif:
A new era.
Cannoner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Cool so the only thing we really disagree on is putting everything into the prem at all costs. I don’t care about top 4, I think we will win the Europa if we focus on it properly and right now we have a chance to get to the semi final of a cup.

If by chance we can also finish in the top 4 then amazing but I’d happily play weakened teams against Burnley at Fulham at home to give some lads a rest. Already alluded that the defence may cause us problems because we can’t rest anyone there right now but that’s tough shit. Emery already deprioritised the league when he put Lacazette on the bench for United and Southampton.

In my mind there are essentially two options we’re debating here:
1) go for a domestic cup, potentially end up 5th/6th because of it and europa we hopefully win.
2) sack off the domestic cup, potentially end up 3rd/4th because of it and europa we hopefully win.

Not really sure why it’s so hard to understand preferring option 1, I would take it all day long. If we don’t win the Europa then great that sucks but that could happen in either scenario. Prioritise the next game, it’s a cup against our rivals and I’d rather beat them than Burnley, simple as.

League position only means something if we cock up Europa, but I think that should be our number 1 priority in any case, and playing a good team against Spurs won’t affect a game in Feb :dontknow:
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby Santi » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:06 pm

The other key thing is that by going hard against Spurs and weak against Burnley, I still think we can win both games..which is the overall aim. Swap the scenarios and I think we lose the Spurs game for sure.
Santi
SE13
SE13

Postby BrunelGooner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:22 pm

Santi wrote:The other key thing is that by going hard against Spurs and weak against Burnley, I still think we can win both games..which is the overall aim. Swap the scenarios and I think we lose the Spurs game for sure.

Why?

Spurs are most likely going to field a weak side too.

Pochettino doesn't take this competition seriously. And he'll put all his focus on the league.

I'm on a couple of different forums and I've seen that not many Spurs fans are expecting a strong line-up for this game.

If we have the likes of Ozil, Lacazette, Smith-Rowe, Guendouzi, Elneny, Nketiah etc playing, which we most likely will, I think these players are capable of getting one over a Spurs B team.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Angelito » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:23 pm

BrunelGooner wrote:May be an unpopular opinion, but this game is more important to me than Spurs in the Carabao Cup. Have to bounce back after that shocking result against Southampton.

I disagree. Top-4 is gone as far as I'm concerned.

Unless Spurs suffer an injury crisis, or Chelsea do, we're not getting into the top-4. EL is our route back to the UCL. We could also win this tin pot trophy along the way. I'd rather we beat Spurs than beat Burnley. It's f'kin Spurs too. Would be miserable to lose to those idiots at home although I think we will lose to them. :rolleyes:
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dejan » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:45 pm

Angelito wrote:
BrunelGooner wrote:May be an unpopular opinion, but this game is more important to me than Spurs in the Carabao Cup. Have to bounce back after that shocking result against Southampton.

Unless Spurs suffer an injury crisis, or Chelsea do, we're not getting into the top-4. EL is our route back to the UCL. We could also win this tin pot trophy along the way. I'd rather we beat Spurs than beat Burnley. It's f'kin Spurs too. Would be miserable to lose to those idiots at home although I think we will lose to them. :rolleyes:
Top 4 is gone? Cmon now. Thats a defeatist attitude.

We will make top 4.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby BrunelGooner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:48 pm

Angelito wrote:

Why is top 4 gone? We are 3 points behind Chelsea. 5 behind Spurs.

Hardly insurmountable.
BrunelGooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Cannoner » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:51 pm

He's clearly a troll or spurs fan.
A new era.
Cannoner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Angelito » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:06 pm

Dejan wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Top 4 is gone? Cmon now. Thats a defeatist attitude.

We will make top 4.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G920F met Tapatalk

BrunelGooner wrote:
Angelito wrote:

Why is top 4 gone? We are 3 points behind Chelsea. 5 behind Spurs.

Hardly insurmountable.

By playing three at the back and going defensive against Southampton? That's a defeatist attitude.

I'm just being realistic. We're not Sevilla or Valencia. We're the third most successful English side ever. If benching Ozil and Lacazette is the way forward, good luck finishing in the top-4.

It's also not about insurmountable leads. It's about consistency. Spurs and Chelsea are far more consistent than us. Would they have gone defensive against Southampton? No way.

EL is our route into next season's UCL. We're not finishing in the top-4 unless Unai knows how to get the best out of this side instead of being clueless in how to manage a big name player.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2018-19