Arsenal V Wigan | Premier League 14/05/2013

Re: Arsenal V Wigan | Premier League 14/05/2013

Postby Trina » Wed May 15, 2013 5:49 am

Arsène Wenger spoke to the media after the Wigan Athletic game. Below is a transcript of the press conference:

on an important result…
We had a quick start and a strong start for the first 20 minutes. We were really dominating and after that we became a bit conservative and pushed forward less and allowed Wigan back in the game. We were unfortunate to go to 1-1 because I think it was a free kick for us. It was a big blow for our team and you could see that when we came out in the second half - we were not as fluent or as confident as we wanted to be. Wojceich made a great save at 1-1. At that stage we were on the brink of conceding a goal.

on Walcott's goal…
When we scored the second one it was a massive blow for Wigan and they never recovered from that. It then became a comfortable win with goals three and four. It was a tight game.

on Wigan's relegation…
It is sad that they go down because they are a good team, they play good football and are an intelligent team with good players. If they stay together they will certainly come up again.

on Arsenal's 'big' players stepping up…
Yes, they produced and they scored the goals. Walcott had a great night. From the start he was always a guy who was dangerous. But they [all] stepped up and produced a quality game.

on being courageous…
We became a bit edgy and nervous at the start of the second half. But in these types of games you need to keep your nerve and continue to play like there is nothing at stake basically. It took us some time to recover from the [Wigan] goal.

on playing away in the final game…
I don't know [if that could be an advantage]. In every single game until the end, for a long time now, we are in a position where we absolutely want the three points. Sometimes when you want it absolutely it takes some creativity away from your team. You could see as soon as it because 3-1 we were more dangerous and played with more freedom. it is part of being a top-level player, to deal with that.

on having to win at Newcastle…
It is all open, but it depends on our result. Even third place is not out of sight of we win the game.

on holding their nerve at Newcastle…
I am confident because we have experience, we play for a long time under massive pressure and we have always found the solutions with the problems that we have faced.

on Arteta's substitution…
he is not alright, he pulled his calf so that could be a problem for Sunday. We don't know, we have to wait for 24 hours. He is a massive doubt for Sunday. He is very important, that is why i don't rule him out at the moment. maybe we will have to push Wilshere in [if he doesn't make it]. I don't know.

on the team's consistency…
If you look at the number of points we made compared with Manchester United, I think we have the same since January 1. But it took us some time to get going, but I believe mainly [it is down to the fact] we didn't win the big games, especially at home. That is why it took us a long time to find a level of confidence and to balance the team as well because we had many new players.

on stability being important…
At the moment, we prepare for next season as well because the way that you play and finish determines the ability to start well next season. That is a big part, but bigger is to finish well and that is at Newcastle on Sunday.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... and-arteta
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Wed May 15, 2013 7:06 am

starmandb wrote:
gooney wrote:I cant see us winning, there's way way too much pressure on the team going into this game and Wigan is the last small team I would like to play. They are very bold and will come at us with no fear. They believe they can take on us on footballing terms and the pressure is on our players., I just dont think our players have the mentality to deal with this kind of pressure. They failed last season as well when we were playing Norwich at home and the only reason why we got 4th was Spurs were even bigger failure. With Spurs taking care of Stoke, our chances of top 4 are gone imo

i would try to dignify this with a witty bon mot but why bother
you are a bit of a w***er arent you

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
truer words were never spoken
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zinc » Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 am

Poor bloke will have nothing to whinge about today.
Massa wrote:Barely a goalscorer when he plays for Bayern
Zinc
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ivan itchybum » Wed May 15, 2013 8:20 am

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
starmandb wrote:
gooney wrote:I cant see us winning, there's way way too much pressure on the team going into this game and Wigan is the last small team I would like to play. They are very bold and will come at us with no fear. They believe they can take on us on footballing terms and the pressure is on our players., I just dont think our players have the mentality to deal with this kind of pressure. They failed last season as well when we were playing Norwich at home and the only reason why we got 4th was Spurs were even bigger failure. With Spurs taking care of Stoke, our chances of top 4 are gone imo

:rofll: :rofll: :rofll:
truer words were never spoken

lol, I love you Starman :cheerleader:
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Massa » Wed May 15, 2013 8:22 am

Agree with those saying Sagna won't be hard to replace. He hasn't gone from best in the world to shit in one season it's defo been more gradual
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Zedie » Wed May 15, 2013 9:38 am

Massa wrote:Agree with those saying Sagna won't be hard to replace. He hasn't gone from best in the world to shit in one season it's defo been more gradual

You can see hes lost that half a yard, he cant just run and run all game like he used to and that will happen with age and 2 broken legs in swift succession, especially how physically demanding our style of play is for the FBs.

I still dont think this is the end for him though, hes shown how disciplined he can be at CB and he is still a warrior. Theres not many tougher players than him about.

get another RB in and keep him about.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Wed May 15, 2013 9:45 am

Zedie wrote:
Massa wrote:Agree with those saying Sagna won't be hard to replace. He hasn't gone from best in the world to shit in one season it's defo been more gradual

You can see hes lost that half a yard, he cant just run and run all game like he used to and that will happen with age and 2 broken legs in swift succession, especially how physically demanding our style of play is for the FBs.

I still dont think this is the end for him though, hes shown how disciplined he can be at CB and he is still a warrior. Theres not many tougher players than him about.

The point is not whether he can still cut it or not, the point is whether it is easier or difficult to replace him. I think if one is brutally honest and looks at it unsympathetically the answer is fairly simple
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Wed May 15, 2013 10:01 am

starmandb wrote:

You are a legend here at Goonersworld.

i love how you pick your moments to say this, normally you 'starman' people with stats but now, just the simple, 'Your a w***er'.

I was nervous before but I always new before the end Wigan would tire out, just depends what the score is at the time they became worn out.

:hail:
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Wed May 15, 2013 10:47 am

why the f**k do people want Sagna sold?
Give him a break ffs, he broke his leg not once, but f***ing twice. Yea he hasnt been that good as usual this season but who can blame him. He will go back to his usual good next season, im sure of it.

And what if we sell him? you lot really think we will buy a replacement? :lol: No, we wont. We will stick with Jenkinson, who in my eyes has grown immense but is not just quite ready yet. And what if he will get injured?

Keep Sagna at all costs, and let the 2 fight our for that starting spot next season.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby elkanofan » Wed May 15, 2013 11:01 am

I like Sagna but i have faith in Jenkinson, he can make the step up if Sagna goes.

We still need another right back if Sagna leaves, to fight with Jenkinson, same with Gibbs and Monreal.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Angelito » Wed May 15, 2013 11:34 am

I agree with Dejan. We needs Sagna. We need a squad. People need to remember this. And, Sagna is still the best RB in the League. He's rock solid as a defender. If we are to challenge, we have to retain Sagna.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Arsenal 4 - 1 Wigan

Postby EVALD » Wed May 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Arsenal 4 - 1 Wigan

Highlights of the game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDmiTMAt1vw

subscribe for more :arse flag.gif:
EVALD
Liam Brady

Postby Gunner Down Under » Wed May 15, 2013 3:21 pm

I just watched a replay of this game

Arsenal: disappointing between minutes 20 to 62

Flashes of attacking brilliance, but allowing Wigan back in like that is unacceptable

4-1 was kind on us IMO, we didn't dominate that much I reckon

We need to counter more often.
Gunner Down Under
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Massa » Wed May 15, 2013 6:28 pm

Zedie wrote:

I want to see him more at CB, I suggested it back in 2009 or some shit. Look at how many times Gibbs was in the box yesterday, the modern FB needs to have a bit about him in attack. Sagna is good in the air and is still faster than most CB's and could provide cover for Kos if we sell Verm perhaps.

What we need is a RB version of Gibbs. The guy is a tank. Played like a left winger yet kept the new Messi (or so the media would have you believe) in his pocket.
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Kyle? » Wed May 15, 2013 6:31 pm

I want to trial Sagna as a DM. He reads the game well, he can tackle, it's worth a shot.
Fatal Descent
Spinning around
I've gone too far
To turn back round

Desperate attempt
Stop the progression
At any length
Lift this obsession

Arsenal In, Arsene Out
Kyle?
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee