Fulham V Arsenal | Premier League 20/04/2013

Re: Fulham V Arsenal | Premier League 20/04/2013

Postby Youngie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Le Chat wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:
Le Chat wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:all the other stuff is just Wengerism nonsense about technical skill, quality, quality me arse to justify playing average players like Giroud/Gervinho ahead of quality goalscorers like Podolski!

What the f**k are you talking about. So the idea of technical skill is all Wengerism nonsense. :rofll:

You've never played a game of football in your life i bet. It seems you lacking with the most basic of footballing knowledge. Situations need to be created not everything is down to luck or "the fates".

:dizzy:

:rofll: :rofll:

If only you realised how hiliariously wrong your comment above is!!

Winning tootball matches is about scoring goals. Scoring goals is about finishing (which was where my post started btw!)

Everything else is just Fantasy Manager nonsense!!

Goals win games. Technical skills count for nought if you don't finish chances!!

I never mentioned luck or "the Fates" - YOU DID!!

I mentioned finishing. Finishing has NOTHING TO DO WITH LUCK OR THE FATES, BUT EVERYTHING TO DO WITH SCORING!!

Get over your self inflated sense of knowledge and get back to understanding the basics of football, will ya!!

How do you finish then. You keep on saying its all about finishing and scoring. They don't magically teleport themselves a yard a way from an open net. You need to do the work before you can get into a position to score.

This takes a certain level of technique, What im trying to say is there needs to be a build up (X + Y = goal). Like most math answers there needs to be a working out, a journey to get there in the first place.

Just have a search on the net or go pick up some books. Technique is a vital part of any players game, its also what the manager uses to help gauge a players ability.
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Le Chat wrote:
Le Chat wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:
Le Chat wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:all the other stuff is just Wengerism nonsense about technical skill, quality, quality me arse to justify playing average players like Giroud/Gervinho ahead of quality goalscorers like Podolski!

What the f**k are you talking about. So the idea of technical skill is all Wengerism nonsense. :rofll:

You've never played a game of football in your life i bet. It seems you lacking with the most basic of footballing knowledge. Situations need to be created not everything is down to luck or "the fates".

:dizzy:

:rofll: :rofll:

If only you realised how hiliariously wrong your comment above is!!

Winning tootball matches is about scoring goals. Scoring goals is about finishing (which was where my post started btw!)

Everything else is just Fantasy Manager nonsense!!

Goals win games. Technical skills count for nought if you don't finish chances!!

I never mentioned luck or "the Fates" - YOU DID!!

I mentioned finishing. Finishing has NOTHING TO DO WITH LUCK OR THE FATES, BUT EVERYTHING TO DO WITH SCORING!!

Get over your self inflated sense of knowledge and get back to understanding the basics of football, will ya!!

How do you finish then. You keep on saying its all about finishing and scoring. They don't magically teleport themselves a yard a way from an open net. You need to do the work before you can get into a position to score.

This takes a certain level of technique, What im trying to say is there needs to be a build up (X + Y = goal). Like most math answers there needs to be a working out, a journey to get there in the first place.

Just have a search on the net or go pick up some books. Technique is a vital part of any players game, its also what the manager uses to help gauge a players ability.

Jaysus, will you stop shouting!! I heard you the first time. Hopefully you read my comment just now, which spawned this completely nonsenical argument ensuing

OK IMO:
a. Chances are created by good positioning, good first touch and good technique.
b. Chances are converted into goals by finishing - therefore Goals are scored by finishing
c. Dejan said that goalscoring was not about finishing.

I disagreed. Cue the misquotes!!

I too can increase the size of my writing, but it doesnt' change the meaning
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zenith » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Club to appeal Giroud's red card

Arsenal Football Club have lodged an appeal to the Football Association for the wrongful dismissal of Olivier Giroud during the Premier League match against Fulham at Craven Cottage on Saturday.

An FA regulatory commission will hear the claim and make a verdict on Tuesday afternoon.

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... s-red-card
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Dejan » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:55 pm

greengoonerie wrote:c. Dejan said that goalscoring was not about finishing.

No, I did not. I said scoring a goal is not only about finishing. First of all you need to get into a scoring position, which requires movement, then you have to have a good first touch which gets you away from the defender allowing yourself to shoot, which requires technique and lastly you have to finish it.

If only finishing was needed to score a goal, joe the plumber could be a premier league topscorer.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm

Dejan wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:c. Dejan said that goalscoring was not about finishing.

No, I did not. I said scoring a goal is not only about finishing. First of all you need to get into a scoring position, which requires movement, then you have to have a good first touch which gets you away from the defender allowing yourself to shoot, which requires technique and lastly you have to finish it.

If only finishing was needed to score a goal, joe the plumber could be a premier league topscorer.

Massa the plumber.

I cant understand the logic. The reason RvP is head and shoulders above Darren Bent and his ilk, as a ST/FWD, is not because of his finishing.

tbf to Bent, he's probably a pound for pound better finisher than RvP, but I know who I would pick if I had a choice of the two every time.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Massa » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:14 pm

lol Bent isn't a better finisher than van Persie
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Zedie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Massa wrote:lol Bent isn't a better finisher than van Persie

Bent is the only player I can think of right now whose sole strength is his finishing. Give Bent any type of scrap and he will put the ball in the back of the net fullstop (bar his time at the scum), ive seen RvP convert the impossible and fluff the simple so many times.

Bents better with his head than RvP imo.

One of RvPs strengths is his technique with ball striking and dribbling, while the same cant be said for Bent so much, but what he does have is accuracy to get the ball past the gk into the net. Bent is similar to Hernandez when on form, but neither of them have the full package to get to RvPs level
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zenith » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:34 pm

Despite having played for Tottenham, Bent is a life long Arsenal fan.

Not suggesting anything though. :hiding:
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Sims » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:35 pm

Being a striker isn't solely a good finisher. When have you heard about a world class striker when all he could do is finish? Many factors make up being a great striker. Here's my list of what makes a worldie:
- Vision
- Technique
- Passing
- First touch
- Movement
- Dribbling
- Pace
- Strength

If you have all of them attributes then you don't necessarily have to have great finishing to get goals, as you should create so many opportunities that you eventually score one. Look at Robin this season, he's missed the most goalscoring opportunities this season (22) yet he's a 20 goal striker. This is also why Podolski won't be a great striker in our formation, he doesn't have all of these abilities (plus I think he's had a niggling injury all season, Stevie Wonder could see he hasn't been 100% in most matches he's played for us).
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Zedie » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:47 pm

Sims wrote:Being a striker isn't solely a good finisher. When have you heard about a world class striker when all he could do is finish? Many factors make up being a great striker. Here's my list of what makes a worldie:
- Vision
- Technique
- Passing
- First touch
- Movement
- Dribbling
- Pace
- Strength

If you have all of them attributes then you don't necessarily have to have great finishing to get goals, as you should create so many opportunities that you eventually score one. Look at Robin this season, he's missed the most goalscoring opportunities this season (22) yet he's a 20 goal striker. This is also why Podolski won't be a great striker in our formation, he doesn't have all of these abilities (plus I think he's had a niggling injury all season, Stevie Wonder could see he hasn't been 100% in most matches he's played for us).

This. The closest I could think of was van Nistelrooy or maybe Gomez who are more one dimensional.

Ultimately, Giroud is too slow to really be the answer for us. If your going to insist on playing 1 upfront, your going to need someone that can beat the offside trap and defenders, while having enough time to compose then dispatch. Not saying hes not a viable option, but we need a more complete package to lead the line than him. If he was in a 2 striker formation, id take him all day, hes got too much strength and link up play not to be part of a sick partnership, but apparently we are allergic to this, so theres none.

Ive lost count of the amount of times that Giroud has been played clean through, but cant leave the player to make anything happen.

He reminds me of a slow Drogba, but without the extra strength of 10 bears or the perm.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Sims » Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:53 pm

I can't believe someone above the age of 7 thinks to be a goalscorer all you need is to have good finishing. That is beyond bonkers. And it's coming from the same guy who thinks Podolski would be great up top on his own.

SURPRISE SURPRISE.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:09 am

Even taking a penalty kick is not only about finishing.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Youngie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:17 am

Sims wrote:I can't believe someone above the age of 7 thinks to be a goalscorer all you need is to have good finishing. That is beyond bonkers. And it's coming from the same guy who thinks Podolski would be great up top on his own.

SURPRISE SURPRISE.

+1 :arse fan:
Youngie
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby greengoonerie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:17 am

Sims wrote:I can't believe someone above the age of 7 thinks to be a goalscorer all you need is to have good finishing. That is beyond bonkers. And it's coming from the same guy who thinks Podolski would be great up top on his own.

SURPRISE SURPRISE.

:rofll:

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black!!

...and scoring a penalty is not about finishing.

I suppose it's about positioning yeah?? :rofll: :rofll:

No surprise there with your comments Sims. Still, I can respect a different opinion, even yours, unlike you! It's called maturity. Hopefully when your voice breaks you will get some! :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:

Me - i've never seen a goal scored by someone who got into position and DIDNT FINISH. EVER. Have you?

And like so many of the people listing all that other nonsense about technique, cunning, opportunism etc etc, you've avoided the original comment in question, which is to do with finishing.

Dejan - read YOUR OWN post. then you can apologise!! Jesus. Revisionism.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Sims » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm

This is beyond belief. There are many factors involved in a penalty other than finishing. Technique and composure come to mind. Opinions aren't opinions when they're a load of absolute shite.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13