Arsenal V Aston Villa | Premier League 23/02/2013

Re: Arsenal V Aston Villa | Premier League 23/02/2013

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 pm

VCC wrote:
Zenith wrote:
VCC wrote:
Zenith wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:I don't like making changes to the back 5 (goalie and defenders), the players will develop a greater understanding and work more as a unit of we have a set back 5.

This.

At what poi nt does a keeper become droppable then?

At any time, but not when you're planning of playing 4 squad players in front of him, balance is key.

there is the problem all squad members should be able to come in and do the job,they should all train as a unit rotating in training so they are all on the same page

+1

Merts has been poor in recent games. So why shouldn't kos play ahead of him.

Why isn't Jenkinson getting a game?

Yes continuity is important when team is on a roll not when it is being battered by teams like Blackburn.

Continuity is important but should not be applied without any reasoning.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby GSK_AFC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:32 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:
VCC wrote:
Zenith wrote:
VCC wrote:
Zenith wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:I don't like making changes to the back 5 (goalie and defenders), the players will develop a greater understanding and work more as a unit of we have a set back 5.

This.

At what poi nt does a keeper become droppable then?

At any time, but not when you're planning of playing 4 squad players in front of him, balance is key.

there is the problem all squad members should be able to come in and do the job,they should all train as a unit rotating in training so they are all on the same page

+1

Merts has been poor in recent games. So why shouldn't kos play ahead of him.

Why isn't Jenkinson getting a game?

Yes continuity is important when team is on a roll not when it is being battered by teams like Blackburn.

Continuity is important but should not be applied without any reasoning.

We havent had a set back four for a few weeks now. We had a rotated defence against Blackburn (we didnt get battered though). We played with a makeshift LB with Verm against Bayern too. The key to improving is continuity.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:38 pm

I really am dumbfounded as to what makes people think Szczesny's been "solid" this year. Is it that he's young and the media bigs up his potential? Because if you just evaluate his performance levels the entire year, he's been average at best. And that's being generous.

Sure he hasn't had any absolutely howlers, but he's made lots of small mistakes all year long. Coming out when he shouldn't, less than ideal distribution, questionable shot stopping at times and rarely collects a cross. He hasn't been poor, but there are dozens and dozens of keepers throughout Europe that can do better.

Edit: Just as a little support for that... Castrol Rankings have Szczesny ranked 87th in goalkeeping. http://www.castrolfootball.com/rankings ... h_Szczesny
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Özilfan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:49 pm

Castrol rankings put Jack down as being our 17th best Arsenal player at the moment (and 236th overall in the Premier League)!
Özilfan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GSK_AFC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Leody wrote:I really am dumbfounded as to what makes people think Szczesny's been "solid" this year. Is it that he's young and the media bigs up his potential? Because if you just evaluate his performance levels the entire year, he's been average at best. And that's being generous.

Sure he hasn't had any absolutely howlers, but he's made lots of small mistakes all year long. Coming out when he shouldn't, less than ideal distribution, questionable shot stopping at times and rarely collects a cross. He hasn't been poor, but there are dozens and dozens of keepers throughout Europe that can do better.

Edit: Just as a little support for that... Castrol Rankings have Szczesny ranked 87th in goalkeeping. http://www.castrolfootball.com/rankings ... h_Szczesny

By pretty solid I meant good enough lately, perhaps its the performance against Sunderland lingering in my mind. I've always said we need a new keeper but I don't think he deserves to be dropped.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:32 pm

The problem with Arsenal football these days is that players like Szczesny who are no where near starting quality for a top club are hailed as undroppable. We have stooped to such level that Szczesny who has had two full seasons under his belt and has actually gone backwards from his early carrier promise is considered more than adequate for us.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:35 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:The problem with Arsenal football these days is that players like Szczesny who are no where near starting quality for a top club are hailed as undroppable. We have stooped to such level that Szczesny who has had two full seasons under his belt and has actually gone backwards from his early carrier promise is considered more than adequate for us.

Exactly we are shuffling shit about until we find the best bit of shit that sticks
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Leody » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:49 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:The problem with Arsenal football these days is that players like Szczesny who are no where near starting quality for a top club are hailed as undroppable. We have stooped to such level that Szczesny who has had two full seasons under his belt and has actually gone backwards from his early carrier promise is considered more than adequate for us.

Harsh words, but I'm afraid there's a lot of truth there. I don't know if he's gone backwards, but if he's improved I'm not seeing it...
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zenith » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 pm

We need someone to really challenge Szczesny for that number one spot and Mannone is not the kind of goalkeeper that would keep Szczesny out of the team under Wenger and probably most managers. Sometimes I sense Vito gets less criticism for his mistakes than Wojciech because he's not our 'main man' between the sticks. At the moment Mannone is not a better keeper than Szczesny but that doesn't mean Szczesny is currently good enough to be Arsenal's #1.
Would love us to sign an experienced, consistent goalkeeper in his '30s who can keep WS1 on his toes and help him improve.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby Apollo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:23 pm

To be fair to Szez the worse a defense looks the worse a keeper will look

If your defensive is nervous and unconvincing the keeper will more than likely follow suit

Fantasy Premier League Champion 2013/2014
Fantasy World Cup Champion 2014
Apollo
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Sims » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:25 pm

Going to this game, won every one I've been to this season; let that be an omen.
Sims
Member of the Year 2016
Member of the Year 2016

Postby Massa » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Szczesny
Jenkinson Koscielny Vermaelen Monreal
Diaby Rosicky
Cazorla Wilshere Podolski
Walcott

Would rather Poldi upfront but Theo is more realistic
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Omphi93 wrote:To be fair to Szez the worse a defense looks the worse a keeper will look

If your defensive is nervous and unconvincing the keeper will more than likely follow suit

It works both ways mate. A commanding keeper who comes out with authority and acts a like a sweeper, a commanding keeper who comes out and catches those high balls takes a lot of pressure off the defenders. A nervous, hesitant and indecisive keeper is something defenders dread.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Zenith wrote:We need someone to really challenge Szczesny for that number one spot and Mannone is not the kind of goalkeeper that would keep Szczesny out of the team under Wenger and probably most managers. Sometimes I sense Vito gets less criticism for his mistakes than Wojciech because he's not our 'main man' between the sticks. At the moment Mannone is not a better keeper than Szczesny but that doesn't mean Szczesny is currently good enough to be Arsenal's #1.
Would love us to sign an experienced, consistent goalkeeper in his '30s who can keep WS1 on his toes and help him improve.

Two full seasons is the time Szczesny has had to learn his trade in an unchallenged No-1 spot. Not many keepers have it this easy and yet he has not cemented his place. We need somebody who is much better than him and not somebody who is just around his quality. We should be looking for the best possible options in every position instead of eternally developing players who aren't pulling their weight. I think Wenger is the only manager who puts development of his favorite bunnies ahead of what is best for the team and the club in terms of results.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Est83 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:40 pm

Sims wrote:Going to this game, won every one I've been to this season; let that be an omen.

GO TO MORE GAMES!!!

Anyways...

Szczesny
Jenkinson Koscielny Vermaelen Monreal
Wilshere Arteta
Cazorla
Theo Giroud Podolski

The only alternative I would entertain would be dropping Giroud for Podolski and having Cazorla on the left, Wilshere in the CAM spot and Diaby/Coquelin next to Arteta. I've got no time anyone up front other than GIroud and Poldi, Theo only works imo when there's 15/20 minutes left.... super sub or start on the wing then go central later.

A little worried that Jack may be rested after he put in a two-man shift on Tuesday. Even Cazorla as well as he's looking flat at times.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13