Arsenal V Swansea| FA Cup Replay 16/01/2013

Re: Arsenal V Swansea| FA Cup Replay 16/01/2013

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Tough night for Theo. Swansea were shit and acted as if they didn't want to be there and we should have scored 6. I think we played ok, but it was hard to judge since they were just so bad. Either way, on to the next round.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby greengoonerie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:34 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Tough night for Theo. Swansea were shit and acted as if they didn't want to be there and we should have scored 6. I think we played ok, but it was hard to judge since they were just so bad. Either way, on to the next round.

I thought it was a far tougher night for Podolski.

He, like many of us, had to watch a Miss of the season competition between Theo and Giroud.

What was it 26 shots all night - one goal scored by a world class MOTM Midfielder.

Was it 4 sitters Theo missed, matched by 4 sitters Pod missed?

Im at the stage now where if Wenger continues to play Theo up front in order to keep him, I'd rather that Theo be sold.

He is completely incapable of fulfilling the central role. Last night saw:
a. a one on one missed
b. failed to fall down for a penalty and failed to take the chance by staying up
c. missed the ball for a free header from 5 yards
d. hit the defender from 5 yards for a tap in.
e. Hit the keeper when put through from the side late on

complete armoury of misses there.

what Pod has to do to get 90 minutes in the team I don't know. Possibly refuse to sign a contract perhaps?

Bendtner got a FAR worse time for missing FAR fewer chances.

Shameful performance up front last night.

thank god for a Midfield genius - Liam Brady Mk 2 IMO.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:43 pm

Theo is the only guy we have that is consistently scoring goals right now, it would be madness to let him go without getting anybody else in. Whether he's a winger, or a striker, or if you think he's shit, the bottom line is he is needed on THIS team at THIS time. I of course think we need better than him, but if we ain't going to get a better striker then we have to go with what we got and he's the best option right now. Like in many cases, people over exaggerate when a player has a good game and they certainly over exaggerate when a player has a bad game. He could play the same game again tonight and easily put away all of those chances.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby greengoonerie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:06 pm

Swansea x 2, Southampton, City - Theo has been central in all of them. Seriously, how has he done?

Was last ngiht an indication that he is in any way adapting to the role or improving his ability to finish chances? I don't believe it was at all. I don't believe he is another Thierry Henry in the making in any way. I believe that TW is trying to become another TH, but he has pace, and little else whereas TH had it all. Truly.

If he insists on being played centrally I would say Let him go, put Pod in the middle, and buy a striker. See what happens. It CANNOT be any worse as we continue to play Theo centrally.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Dejan » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:11 pm

starmandb wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:Do away goals count?

oh my god plymouth
its the fa cup
behave

lol
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:12 pm

As I said, I'm all for letting him go, but only if we get a better replacement, which I don't see us doing, so we NEED him at the moment.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:49 pm

ChVint22 wrote:As I said, I'm all for letting him go, but only if we get a better replacement, which I don't see us doing, so we NEED him at the moment.

I disagree that we NEED him. Give Poldi the opportunities that Theo gets (pref in 4-4-2) he'll do just as well.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:34 pm

Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:As I said, I'm all for letting him go, but only if we get a better replacement, which I don't see us doing, so we NEED him at the moment.

I disagree that we NEED him. Give Poldi the opportunities that Theo gets (pref in 4-4-2) he'll do just as well.

I agree, but Wenger ain't going to do that is he? And if he gets injured, then who? I'm thinking with the mind of Wenger here, not with what I'd want to see.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GSK_AFC » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:39 pm

starmandb wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:Apart from the 7-5 reading game, have we scored from a Walcott corner?

yes
theo took the corner from which giroud put us in front v fulham earlier in the season

Thanks starman
Last edited by GSK_AFC on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby greengoonerie » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:24 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

I agree, but Wenger ain't going to do that is he? And if he gets injured, then who? I'm thinking with the mind of Wenger here, not with what I'd want to see.

You're a brave man trying to think like Arsene!!! :hail:

I can't figure him out at all these days. :dontknow:

Just taking forwards as an example, from a position where he recognised world class players like TH14, and RVP, he now slavishy sticks with players like Gervinho, Theo and Giroud ahead of Podolski. :BangHead:

That alone makes me worry about his mindset!!
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:30 pm

greengoonerie wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

You're a brave man trying to think like Arsene!!! :hail:

I can't figure him out at all these days. :dontknow:

Just taking forwards as an example, from a position where he recognised world class players like TH14, and RVP, he now slavishy sticks with players like Gervinho, Theo and Giroud ahead of Podolski. :BangHead:

That alone makes me worry about his mindset!!

Me too!
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:00 am

ChVint22 wrote:Tough night for Theo. Swansea were shit and acted as if they didn't want to be there and we should have scored 6. I think we played ok, but it was hard to judge since they were just so bad. Either way, on to the next round.

You wouldn't say we made them look shit?

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby TheArsenalPost » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:27 am

Est83 wrote:

No. We weren't great ourselves. It looked more like they had one eye on their next league game.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:53 am

ChVint22 wrote:Theo is the only guy we have that is consistently scoring goals right now, it would be madness to let him go without getting anybody else in. Whether he's a winger, or a striker, or if you think he's shit, the bottom line is he is needed on THIS team at THIS time. I of course think we need better than him, but if we ain't going to get a better striker then we have to go with what we got and he's the best option right now. Like in many cases, people over exaggerate when a player has a good game and they certainly over exaggerate when a player has a bad game. He could play the same game again tonight and easily put away all of those chances.

This. Good post Chvint. Agree with it on all counts.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:42 pm

Est83 wrote:

Like the guy above said, no. They didn't look their normal selves, and not that it proves anything, but even the announcers mentioned it all game.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13