Swansea V Arsenal | FA Cup 06/01/2013

Re: Swansea V Arsenal | FA Cup 06/01/2013

Postby elkanofan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:52 pm

Swan wrote:
Goonerfromafrica wrote:The late goal shows AGAIN why we desperately need a DM. Arteta doesn't know how to defend, he's been playing a more attacking role his whole career and nobody shouldmexpect him to adjust to a different position so quickly. Why didn't he go to the ball and close him down p? Why didn't he jump? Cause he's not a bloody defensive midfielder and that's that.

i think it had to do more with this zonal corners then that.. his zone was covering the post and line and he didn't know if he should leave it to shut the space down.. f***ing bonkers if you ask me..

I think the goal was the issue with our crap pressing as a team. Arteta could of easily prevented the goal by just closing Graham down, if you see the replay, he does little or nothing, just stands there more or less. There was no responsibility taken in that penalty box whatsoever, no closing down and getting rid.

Zonal marking or traditional man marking, we should get the f***ing ball away :)

Throughout the entire game, we defended absolutely horribly as a team, you can see why Kos and Mert struggled so much.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Goonerfromafrica » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:57 pm

elkanofan wrote:
Swan wrote:
Goonerfromafrica wrote:The late goal shows AGAIN why we desperately need a DM. Arteta doesn't know how to defend, he's been playing a more attacking role his whole career and nobody shouldmexpect him to adjust to a different position so quickly. Why didn't he go to the ball and close him down p? Why didn't he jump? Cause he's not a bloody defensive midfielder and that's that.

i think it had to do more with this zonal corners then that.. his zone was covering the post and line and he didn't know if he should leave it to shut the space down.. f***ing bonkers if you ask me..

I think the goal was the issue with our crap pressing as a team. Arteta could of easily prevented the goal by just closing Graham down, if you see the replay, he does little or nothing, just stands there more or less. There was no responsibility taken in that penalty box whatsoever, no closing down and getting rid.

Zonal marking or traditional man marking, we should get the f***ing ball away :)

Throughout the entire game, we defended absolutely horribly as a team, you can see why Kos and Mert struggled so much.

+1
Goonerfromafrica
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby elkanofan » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:16 pm

lexalove wrote:What has changed? You say past Arsenal teams have played with more urgency and purpose, and I agree, so why do you think we are not doing the same now?

This is down to a large number of factors, it's a case of many problems adding up to a gigantic problem.

Biggest thing is obviously the quality of our team is far away from yesteryear. But not just that, infact more importantly but it's the type of players we are buying really don't suit the possession orientated build-up.

Gervinho is the best example, he's a counter attacker who likes things at fast pace, where he doesn't have to think much, just dribble and try to score or assist in behind the backline of the opposition. I'm not excusing some of his diabolical performances this season, he should be doing more, however if we played a more direct game we will see him doing far better than he is now.

Podolski has done well but what I actually like about him, he says, f**k this passing, and gets on with it. He like Gervinho favours playing on the break, playing at a fast tempo. This is a reason why he seems to drift out of games, although this seems to be a fitness thing more than anything. It's a similar story with OX and Theo who favour the counter than the possession play.

These players do not have the vision of a attacking mid like we used to see.

Take our teams from 2002-2011, We constantly had attacking midfielders play out on the wings, so this favoured possession play, Pires, Edu, Rosicky, Hleb, Mercenasri, Arshavin. all possession orientated passers, some with a eye for a goal or two, even Ljungberg and Reyes had a lot more vision and creativity compared to our current players . These teams where built with more assurance than what we saw last season and this season. Wenger got exactly who he wanted, now Wenger is getting players in on a budget or just bargain players who where available. many of these names just don't fit into his vision.

Also the 'lacklustre' mentality has been going for a very long time, pretty much since Tony Adams left. Just our amazing invicibles where so good they can do what this team certainly cannot which was win while having a off day. I remember distinctly back in 2004, the media on our backs criticizing our attitude and mentality, our team was amazing but they did have a point really.

Again, this inability to win without playing well and with inferior players to previous years doesn't help confidence and consistently with our play.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm

PLAYER RATINGS UP
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Popey » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:34 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:
Popey wrote:
Angelito wrote:Walcott is one disgraceful player. He was supposed to play as a RW today not a striker. He pretty much left the right hand side open and Sagna was practically alone in the right. I really hope if this is what is to come from the moron, he can go away for all I care.

And, play Podolski up top please.

how do you know that?

Who else was supposed to play on the right?

I don't know but to me it look like we were playing something like that:

giroud-theo
ramsey-santi
wilshere-arteta
gibbs-kossy-merty-sagna

I just can't see a player like theo doing what he wants and playing out of position. theo has decipline. he's doing what wenger wants.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Douglie27 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:48 pm

Popey wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:
Popey wrote:
Angelito wrote:Walcott is one disgraceful player. He was supposed to play as a RW today not a striker. He pretty much left the right hand side open and Sagna was practically alone in the right. I really hope if this is what is to come from the moron, he can go away for all I care.

how do you know that?

giroud-theo
ramsey-santi
wilshere-arteta
gibbs-kossy-merty-sagna

I just can't see a player like theo doing what he wants and playing out of position. theo has decipline. he's doing what wenger wants.

I'm sure Theo was meant to be on the right but he just likes to cut inside. The problem was that Sagna was severely threatened because of the space Theo left. I think the best option is for Theo to start in the middle these days as he has proven he's a danger there. I can't see Wenger altering the formation just for him.
“Sometimes there is nothing better in life than being a Gooner” (Kevin Campbell)
Douglie27
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:12 pm

We could have done without a replay. But that is better than going out. It wss a really exciting 2nd half. The defence worries me.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby greengoonerie » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Popey wrote:
Popey wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:
Popey wrote:

how do you know that?

giroud-theo
ramsey-santi
wilshere-arteta
gibbs-kossy-merty-sagna

Sorry. I disagree.

Wenger is doing what THEO wants - ie playing up the middle pending contract resolution

IMO:

Theo cannot head the ball
Theo cannot take dead ball free kicks
Theo cannot hold off a bigger defender when in possession
Theo cannot win/make tackles

and yet Theo believes he has the attributes to play through the middle.

I think Theo is using the contract negotiations to get his way positionally.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby elkanofan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:07 pm

agree with that.

Players run the show these days in football sadly.

I've been wondering why Theo keeps taking free kicks despite him being shit at them.
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ivan itchybum » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:35 pm

elkanofan wrote:agree with that.

Players run the show these days in football sadly.

I've been wondering why Theo keeps taking free kicks despite him being shit at them.

Same. It's especially annoying when you have players that CAN actually take them and don't for some reason.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13