Reading V Arsenal | Premier League 17/12/2012

Re: Reading V Arsenal | Premier League 17/12/2012

Postby Douglie27 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:55 am

ThereIsBearCum wrote:It wasn't that challenge that he got booked for.

It happened twice didn't it? In the first half it was bad but the other player was booked. Then in the second half another player jumped and caught Jack in that area but Jack was booked.
“Sometimes there is nothing better in life than being a Gooner” (Kevin Campbell)
Douglie27
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby AFC10 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:05 am

billie86 wrote:Good game tonight, we really played well with lots of movement up front which i haven't seen for a while. Looks like wenger has finally cracked under the pressure as well, theo upfront, benching gervinho and chambo on the right rather than ramsey. Maybe next week he will try 4-4-2 :biggrin:.

I can't see 4-4-2 happening anytime soon tbh and I don't really want us to revert back to it, there's no need.

The way tonight worked was perfect, Reading played such a deep line simply because they were petrified of what Wacott could do them which game Cazorla all the space in the world to terrorise their defence. I think Wenger may of granted Cazorla a free role tonight, if he did then it worked to perfection.

Again, everyone's mentioning the likes of Cazorla, Wilshere, Podolski being great but Arteta was outstanding in my opinion. Looked like the Arteta from last season and he should be taking a lot more credit that he should be for last night, really want to see him keep that up!

Great win anyway, the only negatives were the 2 goals but after he week we've had I won't let that ruin our overall performance because it was great, free flowing Arsenal football we know they can play.

Build on this now! COYG :arse flag.gif:
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby yosifun » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:21 am

ThereIsBearCum wrote:If we go 4-4-2, I'd rather have Podolski paired with Walcott or Giroud... he's a better striker than either of them.

+1

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby AFC10 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:22 am

yosifun wrote:
ThereIsBearCum wrote:If we go 4-4-2, I'd rather have Podolski paired with Walcott or Giroud... he's a better striker than either of them.

+1

Neither Cazorla, Wilshere or Arteta deserve to get dropped though.
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby yosifun » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:37 am

AFC10 wrote:
yosifun wrote:

+1

Cazorla can and has played on the wing..

yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby jake_cohen » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:09 am

Here is a piece I've done on the match. Cazorla was brilliant, Podolski had a great game, Theo did well. It was disappointing to concede 2 but they were consolations.

http://ladyarse.co.uk/arsenal/2012/12/t ... arsenal-5/
Website- jakecohen92.wordpress.com
Twitter- twitter.com/jcohen92
jake_cohen
Michael Thomas

Postby greengoonerie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:08 am

yosifun wrote:Great game offensively, Cazorla Poldi Ox Wilshere and Arteta mastered the pitch, Gibbs was also good except for his part of the goal. It's a shame we didn't have a clean sheet but at least we looked like a team again.

Bit funny we're having a horrible season so far and we're only 2 points from 4th place, says something about the league this year..

Eh which goal?

Gibbs was shocking last night in defence. He was picked as a defender, and played like Santos when defending.

He was to blame for BOTH goals!!! Have a look at the replays and watch Gibbs for both - gave the ball away with a stupid crossfield ball, YARDS away from Jack. Then he ran back like a 5 year old and played EVERYONE onside for the second.

If Arsene is going to play him as a defender, then Bould needs to beat lumps out of him for his two ridiculous mistakes for their goals. Thank God we had Cazorla, Theo, Pod, Arteta and jack playing up to their level last night, otherwise it could have been embarrassing.

Learn how to defend Kieran, will ya!
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ivan itchybum » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:23 pm

greengoonerie wrote:
yosifun wrote:Great game offensively, Cazorla Poldi Ox Wilshere and Arteta mastered the pitch, Gibbs was also good except for his part of the goal. It's a shame we didn't have a clean sheet but at least we looked like a team again.

Bit funny we're having a horrible season so far and we're only 2 points from 4th place, says something about the league this year..

Eh which goal?

Gibbs was shocking last night in defence. He was picked as a defender, and played like Santos when defending.

He was to blame for BOTH goals!!! Have a look at the replays and watch Gibbs for both - gave the ball away with a stupid crossfield ball, YARDS away from Jack. Then he ran back like a 5 year old and played EVERYONE onside for the second.

If Arsene is going to play him as a defender, then Bould needs to beat lumps out of him for his two ridiculous mistakes for their goals. Thank God we had Cazorla, Theo, Pod, Arteta and jack playing up to their level last night, otherwise it could have been embarrassing.

He's usually very good, he just had an off game last night... all Arsenal's defenders have them.
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby greengoonerie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:41 pm

ivan itchybum wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:

Eh which goal?

He's usually very good, he just had an off game last night... all Arsenal's defenders have them.

I think you might have a look at a number of Kieron's other games for Arsenal. He seems to have an off-game defensively too often for my liking (2 out of every 3 games for me) .

As I said on other threads, Gibbs is great going forward, but dire in his defensive duties.

It's a trade off - do you sacrifice his disabilities in defence for what he brings you in attack?
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pudpop » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:43 pm

yosifun wrote:
AFC10 wrote:
yosifun wrote:

+1

I don't think anyone can give a real argument to say that Podolski isn't first choice in a striker partnership. As good as I think Giroud + Walcott will be, Poldi plus either 2 would be better.

Cazorla would simply be pushed out wide if we went back to this. He was a RM for most of his career and no-one would argue with the fact that he is capable of playing anywhere on the pitch.

Cazorla--Arteta--Wilshere--Ox/Walcott/Podolski
Giroud--Walcott/Podolski

Obviously would change dependent on injuries etc, but what is comforting is that we would be able to switch to our current formation with ease whenever we need to.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby greengoonerie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:48 pm

Pudpop wrote:
yosifun wrote:
AFC10 wrote:
yosifun wrote:

+1

I don't think anyone can give a real argument to say that Podolski isn't first choice in a striker partnership. As good as I think Giroud + Walcott will be, Poldi plus either 2 would be better.Cazorla would simply be pushed out wide if we went back to this. He was a RM for most of his career and no-one would argue with the fact that he is capable of playing anywhere on the pitch.

Cazorla--Arteta--Wilshere--Ox/Walcott/Podolski
Giroud--Walcott/Podolski

Obviously would change dependent on injuries etc, but what is comforting is that we would be able to switch to our current formation with ease whenever we need to.

This.

The other two being hopefully - Theo and the Ox

Giroud as a sub for any injuries to Poldi, Theo, Ox

They're lethal together, and I'm being persuaded that Theo might have a role in the middle, such was his movement last night to create space for Poldi's and Santi x 3 goals.
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Pudpop » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:57 pm

Did anyone else notice our formation last night? Seemed closer to a 3-5-2 than a 4-2-3-1

Sagna--Mert--Verm
Ox--Cazorla--Arteta--Wilshere--Gibbs
Theo--Poldi

Mainly due to Gibbs playing way too attacking and leaving us exposed too often, but it gave us a bit of a sense of what a 2 striker formation would be like with these players.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:16 pm

it was more like

--------------szczesny
-----------mertesacker----vermaelen----
sagna---------------------
---------------arteta
-----------------wilshere-gibbs------------
chamberlain--------------------------------
------------------cazorla- podolski
-----------------walcott
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby starmandb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:22 pm

Zenith wrote:Isn't this the first time Podolski plays a full league game?

Certainly hasn't happened very often.

yes
he played 90 mins home to montpellier
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby Zenith » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:28 pm

thanks starman
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator