Schalke 04 V Arsenal | Champions League 06/11/2012

Re: Schalke 04 V Arsenal | Champions League 06/11/2012

Postby friedslice » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:05 am

Personally would rather us finish third now and have a crack at the uefa cup.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby yosifun » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:16 am

friedslice wrote:Personally would rather us finish third now and have a crack at the uefa cup.

There was a thread about this, most of the members agreed that the Europa League is meaningless.
Also, advancing to the next round means more money to the club, which could eventually lead to a bigger kitty (not that it's guaranteed that we'll actually get someone..).
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby greengoonerie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:47 am

friedslice wrote:Mannone hardly played well. He let through two he should of stopped, the second particularly was a terrible effort. plus his f***ing tendancy to punch ones he should catch.
if failing to make goal saving saves and catching a few straight at him chest catches constitutes a good performance then our standards really have dropped.

:rofll: :rofll: that's gas - thanks. Made me laugh.

friedslice wrote:Walcott is a f***ing disgrace. his effort was abysmal and everything he touched bar the goal turned to wank. he slowed down attacks, passed backwards when we had counter attacks going, fell over whenever he tried to dribble, stole the ball off podolski when he was clearly offside - and missed anyway, missed a chance to win us the game, crossed the ball repeatedly over everyone and out for a goalkick or throw in and most f***ing annoying of all was a 60 yard cross field ball to him that he literally stood still and watch float towards him and drop 5 yards short without moving towards it he allows the defender to bring it down comfortably and play it forward - it was that attack that huntelaar ended up having the 1 on 1 he should of scored, why the f**k was theo not at least putting a jump in or using his body, to stand still and literally watch the defender intercept was a disgrace and sums up his lazy **** attitude.
won't sign a contract, good riddance..

Dont agree. he is being punished by Wenger all season for not signing a contract. One PL start and 7 sub appearances so far. Only used last night from the start because we were so awful at OT up front, and at Norwich, and at Schalke home ....and...and...

Theo is being poorly treated by the manager.

friedslice wrote:the defence was a joke, its a team learning the offside trap and still struggling very badly, out of position and looking confused constantly.

Absolutely agree. Can anyone say if SB is actually coaching this carcrash of a defence, or are they making it up as we go along? Even without Santos we looked awful. MErt lost huntelaar for their first and Vermalen is now competing with Koc to score the most OGs this season. dreadful stuff.

friedslice wrote:it was pretty much our strongest side out today and another poor showing. we played like the good side we have in the first half, then its back to the usual lazy half arsed effort with no intent or cutting edge. our players would rather try fancy one touch flicks which rarely pay off once we reach the final third instead of looking to shoot or play a through ball.

we simply looked knackered in that 2nd half and we've got f**k all depth to be able to change that.[/quote]
Don't agree entirely. I thought we were scared witless until we scored. THen we got good. Then the defence gave them a way back in. Schalke sensed blood and went for it 2nd half. You're right. We were very poor 2nd half.

Caz has been overplayed and is jaded. Can't blame him. He is required to do most things on his own at present.

I think Arshavin still has a role in this team whilst Theo plays for us. They are fantastic together - watch the Reading game again.

We threw away two points last night. Whats new?
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ivan itchybum » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:40 am

yosifun wrote:
friedslice wrote:Personally would rather us finish third now and have a crack at the uefa cup.

There was a thread about this, most of the members agreed that the Europa League is meaningless.
Also, advancing to the next round means more money to the club, which could eventually lead to a bigger kitty (not that it's guaranteed that we'll actually get someone..).

well put it this way, I personally don't think we'll even get top 4 this season so winning the uefa could well be our only option of getting into the champions league next season..
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby S4cePL » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Can't kill off games; cannot score against midtable EPL defenses..

Seems like every week we are closer and closer to pulling this club off life support. I have a feeling Theo will leave and of course wenger wont sign anyone in January because hell say its a worse shopping windoww than in the summer.. sigh
S4cePL
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:06 pm

Kyle? wrote:Anyone got stats for our win percentage in the yellow kit?

w7
d6
l8
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby yosifun » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 pm

starmandb wrote:

w7
d6
l8

And for this season alone? how about home and away so far this season?
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Maxduke » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:57 pm

ivan itchybum wrote:
yosifun wrote:

well put it this way, I personally don't think we'll even get top 4 this season so winning the uefa could well be our only option of getting into the champions league next season..

Pretty sure you don't get into the Champions League by winning the Europa League mate.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby ivan itchybum » Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:02 pm

Maxduke wrote:
ivan itchybum wrote:
yosifun wrote:

Pretty sure you don't get into the Champions League by winning the Europa League mate.

:redface: my bad, I thought you did...
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby billie86 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:59 pm

we would have a better chance at the europa league, its more our level at the moment and we could have a decent run in it. I mean which would be better semis or final of the europa or last 16 or even knocked out in the group in the CL? Even moneywise we would probably get more getting to the later stages of the europa than we would going out early in the CL.
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Yorkyblue » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:36 pm

The only problem with the Europa League is that after the group stage it goes to the last 32 rather than last 16 so an extra 2 games which clubs really don't need at that stage of the season.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Diaby24AFC » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:02 pm

If we do well in the Europa league, then Wenger will soon be content with a 6th place trophy from then on
Diaby24AFC
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby billie86 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:34 pm

Its a bizarre situation to be in though, wenger and the board seem to want to finish 4th and qualify for the CL but both must know we have no chance in that competeition so it all seems a bit futile. There is only one reason why the board wants 4th and to be in the CL, MONEY
billie86
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby friedslice » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:41 am

yosifun wrote:

I don't see any European tornament as meaningless. We had a cracking run back in 2000 and Gooners had a f***ing ball, even when we'd won the double just 2 seasons earlier...why is it suddenly meaningless?
and if we're really wanting CL progression for monetary reasons then we're just as bad as the board and might as well give up now.
all they give two fucks about is CL qualifications and revenue, getting to the KO phase for more profits.....and where the f**k has all that money gone?
not qualifying for the KO phase is the best possible thing that could happen to this club. it'd shit the board right up and finally f***ing prove to them that we're SHIT and falling further and further behind the top teams in europe. it should well be the kick up the arse they need to start spending the cash becasue as it is they're blaise as f**k not changing a thing ticking along nicely happy with their recent third place finish....i doubt half of them even watch our performances :BangHead:

if we want money spent on the team then some terrible results are needed. a tight bastard will not spend unless he deems it completely necessary, and that's our board.

money aside, we've got no f***ing chance in the CL, we'd be lucky to get out the first KO phase. it's a hiding to nothing, a waste of time, I've no interest in this tornament whatsoever, it's like Leyten Orient in the FA cup.

i think we could win the uefa cup, and given that we're not in a title race, have no chance in the CL and the board don't deem the fa cup worth making an effort for (youth team against the mancs :angry: ) then we might as well enjoy a realistic european cup run.
personally im content accepting my arsenal as a mediocre side, im happy to get excited about a few smaller cup runs, f**k it, that;s the only Arsenal I'd known growing up anyway, and I've given up hope of the board doing the right thing at any point up until crisis trully sets in....
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby starmandb » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:03 am

yosifun wrote:
starmandb wrote:

w7
d6
l8

And for this season alone? how about home and away so far this season?

don,t wear an away kit at home
worn only 1 other time this season
the 3-1 win at west ham
starmandb

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13