Manchester Utd V Arsenal | Premier League 03/11/2012

Re: Manchester Utd V Arsenal | Premier League 03/11/2012

Postby gooner17 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:45 am

FourSix wrote:They were better than us and deserved the win but the goals could've easily been avoided which is the most annoying thing. The lack of creativity is worrying but that may be down to how well Man Utd pressed us and fouled us at any slight sign of danger. Sending off was annoying considering they were the more aggressive side and considering Cleverley got away.

Expected them to win but also expected a better performance from us, hopefully shit picks up soon.

gooner17 wrote:I would make Sagna captain. He's consistent, been our longest serving player and seems to have a bit of a fight in him. TV has been piss poor recently and it may make him perk up his ideas a bit.

Funny.

And what's funny about making Sagna captain?
gooner17
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Zenith » Sun Nov 04, 2012 12:53 am

gooner17 wrote:
FourSix wrote:They were better than us and deserved the win but the goals could've easily been avoided which is the most annoying thing. The lack of creativity is worrying but that may be down to how well Man Utd pressed us and fouled us at any slight sign of danger. Sending off was annoying considering they were the more aggressive side and considering Cleverley got away.

Expected them to win but also expected a better performance from us, hopefully shit picks up soon.

gooner17 wrote:I would make Sagna captain. He's consistent, been our longest serving player and seems to have a bit of a fight in him. TV has been piss poor recently and it may make him perk up his ideas a bit.

Funny.

Sagna, our most consistent player in our entire squad, but I personally don't see a leader type in him. Not to mention the fact he could walk out on a free at the end of next season as well, because currently he's refusing to sign a new contract. -Personally I can't even blame him for it.
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby FourSix » Sun Nov 04, 2012 1:45 am

gooner17 wrote:

Funny.

Hasn't committed to the club yet and said some things in the media about the club which a proper captain wouldn't say. And being a consistent performer isn't a reason to give someone the armband anyway imo and neither is wanting them to stay a reason to give it to them.

Vermaelen hasn't started his captaincy brilliantly this season but the sad fact is that he's still the best captain we've had since Vieira as we've laughably given it to players who simply aren't captains and Sagna would fall into that category (you could say Gilberto was an exception but he was never actually made captain, instead Henry and then Gallas were of officially captains ahead of him...).
FourSix
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Angelito » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:09 am

I've been screaming this since before vP left that Arteta should be the next captain. He is more consistent; more mature, more dedicated, and more passionate. Plus, Vermaelen has become undroppable as a captain now and we need to drop him in favor of Kosh. Mertesacker has been BY FAR our best defender this season. I wouldn't strip Verm of the captaincy now though. It would leave a bad taste.

On the inevitable manager vs. Board debate, I've always stuck by Wenger but did the board stop Wenger from starting Arshavin and Walcott yesterday? Did the board stop Wenger from employing Arshavin as a CAM? Has the board been forcing Wenger to be stubborn with the tactics, formations, and substitutions?

I'll ALL for the board f'kin off, but Wenger's tactics hurt us yesterday--not the lack of quality in our side. How can you play so many players out of position? How can you use a formation that depend upon wingers and not play a single winger? If Wenger's so interested in CMs only, why doesn't he play the 4-1-2-1-2 diamond formation?

Regardless, title hopes still aren't over. It's simple. If we don't lose from here until May, we will have a strong chance to win the damn thing. Will we though? Lol.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jake_cohen » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:29 am

Last nights game wasn't good and it was so frustrating as we never really appeared to be in the game. I hope things change in the coming matches, or we will be out of all comps again very soon. Obviously Bradford is our chance for a trophy though.

I did this stats analysis on Mertesacker for this match also. Let me know your thoughts.
http://jakecohen92.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... -analysis/
Website- jakecohen92.wordpress.com
Twitter- twitter.com/jcohen92
jake_cohen
Michael Thomas

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:30 am

I am not too fussed about captaincy issues. Just cos xyz is a captain he does not become undroppable although he does get a few more opportunities to keep his place in the side. My idea is simple. You pick the best team and then choose the captain for the day. O.K as a club you need to have a regular captain but he may not be able to play in every game due to form/fitness/injury/rotation issues. There are only ten outfield players in football and if one is not performing especially in the heart of the defence you must drop him.

No questioning Vermaelen's class but had it not been for Arteta/Mertesacker around him, he would have landed us in hot soup several times this season. I think Vermaelen needs some time on nthe bench to gather himself. He must not be stripped of captaincy cos of poor form cos the new bloke may else end up loosing form and will you change him also? Captain rightfully gets a longer leash to keep his place but he is not undroppable. Vermaelen is a good leader but he is player first and his form and not his captaincy which is going to be the yardstick for selection.

We have three good center-backs and we can not afford to let Kos rot on the bench for far too long. We are in four competitions with plenty of games flying around we need to keep our centerbacks in good form, fitness and mindset. Vermaelen looks like he could do with a spell on the sidelines at the moment to gather himself imo.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby jacobharris » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:57 am

as bad as vermy is playing, kos is arguably in worse form
jacobharris
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:11 am

gooner17 wrote:

Funny.

You can't just strip a guy of the captaincy because he's had a few bad games. He has to do something like Barton or Gallas did. Sure, drop the guy, but he still remains club captain.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby dj_jonty_uk » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:17 pm

I think we're going into games with a negative attitude, because Wenger keeps stubbornly putting weak links in our team, and our good players know that they have more work to do to cover for the weak players. Ramsey is not a winger. Santos is not a defender. There's two straight off. This is the premier league, and we were playing one of the best clubs......why does Wenger insist on trying out players that everyone else knows aren't up to the task? I know our first choice LB was injured, but there were other things he could have done.....Sagna at LB with Jenkinson at RB, or Verm at LB and bring Kos in from the start between Verm an Mert. There seems to be a simplicity blindness to Wenger, and it's getting worse every season. Stop playing below par players. And personally, i'd take a punt on giving Walcott responsibilities up front at least until xmas......i'm just not sure Giroud will be anything for us this season. I know he has to adapt to the English game, but we should never have gotten to the stage that we have a striker who is adapting, Chamakh who never adapted, and Walcott who will take time to afapt to plaing the striker role. It should never have come to this.

And why Wenger couldn't see that Jack was treafing a very thin line while he had already been booked......the difference between both managers decisions with the exact same scenario for both teams, yet our manager decides to ignore it. And then, worse than that, cringingly states on the interview afterwards that Jack didn't deserve a 2nd yellow card? I'm sorry, but in my opinion he could have gotten a 2nd yellow a few minutes beforehand.
dj_jonty_uk
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby dj_jonty_uk » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:20 pm

Damn my fat fingers on this keyboard for all those spelling mistakes in my post.....sorry.
dj_jonty_uk
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby AFC10 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:23 pm

Strip Verms of captaincy!? what!!.... Heard it all now
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Dejan » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:32 pm

what the f**k are u lot talking about. Up until this match Vermaelen was with Mertesacker our best defender and now he has 1 shit match and i see people want to take the captaincy from him? Get real for f**k sake.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Diaby24AFC » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:51 pm

Dejan wrote:http://www.101greatgoals.com/gvideos/rvp-greets-ex-arsenal-team-mates-in-the-tunnel/

Only sagna doesnt seem interested, disgusting.

Ramsey totally avoided van Rapist

Not sure what's in Sagna’s mind. Let's hope he doesn't follow our ex players out the door
Diaby24AFC
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Popey » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:27 pm

I don't see why we should change captain. vermaelen is a good choice. yes, sagna would also be good but I don't see why we should change

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby TheArsenalPost » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:34 pm

jake_cohen wrote:Last nights game wasn't good and it was so frustrating as we never really appeared to be in the game. I hope things change in the coming matches, or we will be out of all comps again very soon. Obviously Bradford is our chance for a trophy though.

I did this stats analysis on Mertesacker for this match also. Let me know your thoughts.
http://jakecohen92.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... -analysis/

Kinda implies if we beat them we win. Few more games to go.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13