Norwich v Arsenal | Premiership 20.10.12

Re: Norwich v Arsenal | Premiership 20.10.12

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:08 am

Angelito wrote:Gibbs isn't in the list because Podolski has been playing both as LB and LF. The reason Gibbs has shined is Podolski's work-rate. At times in games, Gibbs is further up than Podolski in the left hand side. This is not to suppose that Gibbs has been poor. He's been very good too, but much of his goodness is a result of Podolski's work rate.

As for Gervs, well, he did well for us in a few games, but the reason he's in is because nobody has stood out. Our players haven't been performing well. It's a travesty because when you look at the top-3 contenders (United, Chelsea, and City); Chelsea have been playing their best games this season. United are as they always are, but City have been pretty poor, yet they has been squeezing three points from most games. This is what's separating City from Chelsea/United, especially Chelsea because when City can play bad and get the job done, I think they will be fine when they start jelling in again.

Forget about personal opinion, ask anybody or better take a poll and you will see Gervinho would not make the top-5 players this season of anybody's wishlist barring few here n there.

I am going to name players in the random order.

Cazorla: After a long time we have found a player who has the skill-set to run the show in the middle. He has been simple breathtaking to watch this season. Even in a couple of games that he was poor in, he still has managed to produce moments of magic.

Mertesacker: Mertesacker has been the pillar of strength at the back. He has made some terrific interceptions and has positioned himself in right place more often than not.

Gibbs: He has been superb both in the attacking third and defensively this season. One of the most consistent players this season.

Arteta: Now one player we simply cannot do without atm. He has been the source of strength in the middle of the park. He has been outstanding to say the least.

Jenkinson : For his age and experience he has pleasantly surprised everybody with his outstanding work-rate. He would easily figure in the top five of almost every gooner this season.

Honorable mention:

Podolski has been superb for us both offensively and defensively this season. His contribution cannot be overlooked.

Now IMO even the staunchest supporter of Gervinho would struggle to put him anywhere near the 6 players mentioned above.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby greengoonerie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:57 am

Maxduke wrote:I've watched every Chelsea game in the league this season as far as I can remember and if you think they're playing well then I don't know what to say. :lol:

:BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:
Dear oh dear!!

I've also watched Chelsea this season when they've been on live TV and they've been reminiscent of our invincibles team in the following areas:

Work rate
Hardness
Commitment
Team work
Style
Maturity

Other than those above, they're crap this season.. :sneaky2: :sneaky2:

Now, in what areas of the above have the current Arsenal team been comparable to our Invincibles team this seasons?
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby greengoonerie » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 am

Gibbs.

It depends upon whether you rate him as a defender or an attacking midfender...!!!

IMO, he's a dreadfully poor Defender.

He's wonderful going forward.

It's really a quesiton of appraising what his primary duty should be. For me it's about Gibbs being able to defend. West Ham was his first game this season where he did his defensive job well. Prior to that he was awful.

Offensively, hes damn good, provides great options, width and can cross a ball better than our wingers!!! (I know, I know, that mightn't be considered hard...!!)

Still, everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife......
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Angelito » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:36 am

@ Arsenal Fanatic

I said that, did I not? Gervs is in the list because everybody else has been poor and he scored few goals here and there. If you want a list, the only stand-out players this season (so far) are Arteta, Jenkinson, and Cazorla--with Podolski knocking the door as his overall play has been great.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:14 pm

I'd say Podolski has been doing far more than knocking on the door. I'd have him as our best player so far this season.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:28 am

IMO, only three players easily ranks higher than Gervinho and that's Cazorla, Jenkinson, and Arteta. After that, its a toss up between Gibbs, Gervinho, Mertesacker, and Podolski for whoever makes up the remaining two spots.

Podolski - He has gone missing in games on more than one occasion. I believe he has yet to complete 90 minutes. He doesn't get into the box often especially when we need a player at the end of a cross.
Mertesacker - He's not the reason of our defensive improvements this season, he's one of the reasons. Gibbs, Jenkinson, Vermaelen, and Arteta have all had a say in our improved defense. I remember quite clearly that Mertesacker slipped during one of our games that could have cost us a goal. In the Norwich game, he was slow to react to the rebound which cost us the game. For Schalke's second goal, I remember Mertesacker was up front but I could not remember why. Maybe Wenger told him to go forward or it was after a corner, but had Mertesacker been at the back we would not have conceded that second goal. I'll also have you know that we have not kept a clean sheet since the first three games of the season (in all competition)
Gibbs -Stay fit and I'll have no complaints.

Now regarding Gervinho, I have plenty of positives to speak about him and very little negatives. Gervinho, I believe, is our top goal scorer. He is constantly involved in most of our attacks. He is one of the few players we actually have on the field that actually heads towards the goal unlike a majority of our squad who only pass backwards and sideways. He's a constant headache for defenses. He's direct. How many times has he set up Cazorla, Podolski, Ox, etc. only for them to fluff their chances. How anyone cannot consider him has one of our top 5 best players clearly has an agenda

Here are a few refreshers if you've already forgotten his importance to this team

Start at 3.10 of the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgk4tmmx_yI

Start at 0.55 of the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J32s5i5D ... ure=relmfu
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby Angelito » Sat Oct 27, 2012 1:31 am

I won't argue against that, Bear. It's time as used him centrally. He's van Persie good in scoring ; people just don't realiza it.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Maxduke » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:26 am

greengoonerie wrote:
Maxduke wrote:I've watched every Chelsea game in the league this season as far as I can remember and if you think they're playing well then I don't know what to say. :lol:

Dear oh dear!!

I've also watched Chelsea this season when they've been on live TV and they've been reminiscent of our invincibles team in the following areas:

Work rate
Hardness
Commitment
Team work
Style
Maturity

Now, in what areas of the above have the current Arsenal team been comparable to our Invincibles team this seasons?

Who mentioned your invincibles? If we're comparing Chelsea and the invincibles, let's see... A striker that can't score, a defence that looks like it'll concede against everyone, yeah I see the resemblance already.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Sat Oct 27, 2012 10:34 am

torres can score :dontknow:
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Angelito » Sat Oct 27, 2012 11:43 am

No team in the history of the premiership can be compared to the Invincibles.
Angelito
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:00 pm

Angelito wrote:No team in the history of the premiership can be compared to the Invincibles.

I agree. Even the stats state that.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby greengoonerie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:23 am

Maxduke wrote:
greengoonerie wrote:

Dear oh dear!!

Work rate
Hardness
Commitment
Team work
Style
Maturity

Who mentioned your invincibles? If we're comparing Chelsea and the invincibles, let's see... A striker that can't score, a defence that looks like it'll concede against everyone, yeah I see the resemblance already.

Can you read??

:rofll: :rofll:

Or were you talking about Arsenal having a striker who can't score, a defence whcih looks like it will concede against everyone..... :rofll:
greengoonerie
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:58 am

It's pretty clear they're not on the same level as the Invincibles... to point out the painfully obvious, they lost.
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13