Arsenal V Olympiacos | Champions League 03/10/2012

Re: Arsenal V Olympiacos | Champions League 03/10/2012

Postby Zedie » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:29 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Lots of praise for Gervinho but I don't think he had a particularly good game. He scored, yes. Albeit because of awful goalkeeping. But he spent most of the rest of the game being pretty ineffective and frustrating. I can't remember a CL group game at home when we have created so little and had so few shots on goal before.

He was offside for a large portion of the first half, kept getting called for dopey fouls (although that was mainly the ref being a t**t) and IMO we looked like a much more balanced team when we put a proper CF up front.

I'd say our offensive players were more the victim of high intensity, very well organised defensive work in the majority of the first half.

The amount of times i saw Pod or Gerv getting closed down by 3 players on the wing with the middle covered was unreal. Granted, our passing game wasnt the sharpest and we did turnover the ball a lot, but you could see that Olympiacos worked their socks off to keep us frustrated and at bay.

By the time Giroud came on, they had to open up a bit because of the early goal by Pod, they were chasing the result and couldnt keep that solid defensive 2 x banks of 4 going. The fact that they had 11 men in their own half from kick off showed as much.

Look at the job they did on Cazorla first half. He was mute, always moving backwards. Compare it to the second half, he was popping up everywhere because they didnt have the defenders on the pitch in those positions to keep him shackled.

Gerv came to life with a little space and out of all our players, i recon he caused the most damage overall.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby golfinguy » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:42 pm

Zedie wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:Lots of praise for Gervinho but I don't think he had a particularly good game. He scored, yes. Albeit because of awful goalkeeping. But he spent most of the rest of the game being pretty ineffective and frustrating. I can't remember a CL group game at home when we have created so little and had so few shots on goal before.

He was offside for a large portion of the first half, kept getting called for dopey fouls (although that was mainly the ref being a t**t) and IMO we looked like a much more balanced team when we put a proper CF up front.

I'd say our offensive players were more the victim of high intensity, very well organised defensive work in the majority of the first half.

The amount of times i saw Pod or Gerv getting closed down by 3 players on the wing with the middle covered was unreal.

While thats true - they dropped very deep and pressed very well... Gerv did blow possession quite a few times when I really thought he should have done better. Clearly not at his best, but not awful either.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Fran Solo » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:47 pm

@ThereIsBearCum: Lol! I forgot that joke! Better get ready because he looks sharper than before.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby prolific » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:44 pm

Not the best of performances by any means. This may sound stupid but the rain falling heavy didn't really help, both sides become sloppy. No matter what people say about playing in wet conditions, the ball able to move faster and all the fact is when rain is pouring down it gets in the way and our players obviously wasn't able to pull something out the bag during such conditions. Anyway good goals, 3 pts and another game down with Wenger in the stands. We're actually lucky Wengers serving his ban with 2 of the 3 match bans at home.
You're Scared Of Change.
prolific
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GSK_AFC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:46 pm

Looking forward to playing Schalke home and away next.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:45 pm

Yesterday was like watching the Arsenal of last season. Conceded a pathetic goal against a team we have dominated in Europe since god knows when, no cutting edge but an absolute wealth of posession.

I don't like the fact that the old Arsenal is starting to creep back in so quickly. Seems like Wenger is doing his absolute best to get Bould back under his thumb.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:46 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Yesterday was like watching the Arsenal of last season. Conceded a pathetic goal against a team we have dominated in Europe since god knows when, no cutting edge but an absolute wealth of posession.

I don't like the fact that the old Arsenal is starting to creep back in so quickly. Seems like Wenger is doing his absolute best to get Bould back under his thumb.

Been thinking the same things lately.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:55 pm

Its not hard to see, our play in the middle of the park has changed, in the first 4 games we were playing awesome football, triangles everywhere, lethal on the counter. Now it looks like the same 1st gear play for the last few seasons.

We can't maintain our consistency because we don't even have a complete starting 11 let alone quality depth, frustrating to say the least.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:06 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:Looking forward to playing Schalke home and away next.

So am i. I follow them.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby GSK_AFC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:26 pm

EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC wrote:
GSK_AFC wrote:Looking forward to playing Schalke home and away next.

So am i. I follow them.

They are a good team. I like their players too. Höwdes and Draxler.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:28 pm

Us and them are way above Montpellier and Olympiakos.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Massa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:33 pm

we play tippy tappy cause we have a false 9
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby GSK_AFC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:37 pm

Lol wrong thread massa?
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GSK_AFC » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:37 pm

EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC wrote:Us and them are way above Montpellier and Olympiakos.

Agreed.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Massa » Thu Oct 04, 2012 4:50 pm

GunnGunn wrote: Now it looks like the same 1st gear play for the last few seasons.

in reply to this
Massa
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13