Man Citeh v Arsenal | Premiership 23.09.12

Re: Man Citeh v Arsenal | Premiership 23.09.12

Postby Zedie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Re zonal marking for corners, it does create issues but at the same time, we conceded only our 2nd goal in 5 full games vs the champions.

We have conceded 1 goal from a corner in 450minutes of football including the route one / setpiece kings, Stoke. This has all happened while using zonal marking on corners. I'm sure Starman will pop out of no where and confirm exactly how many corners we've defended.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:24 pm

So many goals are conceded with man to marking but every time a goal goes in due to zonal marking media/commentators have a field day.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:26 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:Zonal marking does have its benefits, you can deal with loose balls in the box easier. It's not a lottery like it is when you man-to-man as someone should always be close enough to mop up

But yeah aerially I don't like zonal either

Zonal marking has worked fine for many teams for years but like someone said I don't understand why we suddenly changed to it from man marking.

I also agree with what the plonkers in the studio said about heading the ball after a run up vs heading it from a standing start.
Common sense really.

Well if you'll remember last season we did have a little experiment with zonal that quickly ended after Man U battered us. So it has been brewing since last pre-season

I just think that you need a player or two to track the guys who are running from outside, even if all they can do is just get in the way and put them off.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Pudpop » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:29 pm

The pundits got it spot on when they compared City's zonal to ours. We have 2 players in the 6 yard bow marking space, whereas they put those 2 players on the penalty spot. That way it stops the runners
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Inchpractice wrote:I also agree with what the plonkers in the studio said about heading the ball after a run up vs heading it from a standing start.
Common sense really.

Not always though if you think more in depth.

That only happens if the ball goes where the defender is, making a nice run for the attacker. If the ball goes to the attacker, the defender gets the same benefit.

Both goals came from corners and zonal marking. Both goals were complete f**k ups all round and I wouldn't say it was zonal what caused them.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Zedie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:So many goals are conceded with man to marking but every time a goal goes in due to zonal marking media/commentators have a field day.

Mistakes made with man to man = it's the defenders fault for losing his marker or being beaten by the attacker
Mistakes made by zonal = the system is poop / the manager who picked it is poop

Where today's goal went wrong is that we didn't react quick enough to protect their zones. Those players should have run out to meet them..
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Yorkyblue » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:42 pm

Don't forget Podolski being too busy picking his nose as the corner came in. :lol:
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby mg86 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:05 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:
Gunnerfromafrica wrote:Came back, checked the score, not angry or sad. My cousin we could have bagged another 2?

Gervinho missed a chance at the end but City missed some chances too.

Exactly, toure had three shots that were dreadful, they rolled into the box they were so crap.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:13 pm

PLAYER RATINGS UP

I missed the game but 1-1 is a great result as far as I am concerned. Keep it up arsenal.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:Why wouldn't he have changed things? Of course he would, it was an obvious sub that everyone could see needed to happen.

Bringing Rodwell on toughened up the midfield and made Citeh a lot harder to break down and dominate, but it also meant that you had f**k-all in attack other than counter situations. There's no way Mancini would have set-up (being champions at home) to play a counter attacking game at 0-0 or 1-0 down... that change was made because Mancini knew Citeh were winning against the run of play.

Yorkyblue wrote:Why should you of been a goal up before half time? You didn't do anything to warrant a goal.

We were clearly the better team in the first half. The goal changed everything, and going on the first half it was Citeh who didn't do anything to warrent a goal.

Yorkyblue wrote:You seem to forget your goal came from a defensive f**k up and apart from the shot leading to the corner you scored from, you never threatened.

Who's defensive f**k up? Touré not picking up Koscielny?..... just like our defensive line not attacking the ball, a f**k-up. A collective brain fart!

Lots of if's and but's, but our dominance in the first half was the most impressive thing in the game.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Frustrating result but still decent.

Also have to say that all the Jenks haters in the summer - Suck it.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:46 pm

Jenkinson has the best cross in our squad.

He's positinoal awareness is improving with every game.

He always looks dangerous going forward.

His size is a real asset and a nice change considering his position... not many tall fullbacks out there.

:thumbsup: the boy's doing good! Sagna will have a fight on his hadns when he returns.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:49 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Frustrating result but still decent.

lol yeah, this was his best game for us, by a distance. The talk of Sagna not getting his place back though mystifies me.

I love Jenkinson's athleticism but he does still terrify me when passing the ball right across the back line. It's such an unnecessary anus clench
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:57 pm

THIS.

Put in a momentous shift today and completely dominated players at times. Aggied up Lescott massively for the cut back to Pod who really should have done better with the time Jenks' play afforded him.

Tracked back, was putting in great crosses vs some of the best headers of the ball in the PL, never stopped running, put in important challenges, worked the ball well in tight spaces, kept calm under pressure. Should win Salesman of the day award, sold so many dummies it was unreal.

Quality game for the lad. And to think people had written him off from the day he joined because he came from league 2 for sheckles.

Hes starting to click with the rest of his team mates and i defo think some of Merts composure is rubbing off on him.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:03 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:

lol yeah, this was his best game for us, by a distance. The talk of Sagna not getting his place back though mystifies me.

I love Jenkinson's athleticism but he does still terrify me when passing the ball right across the back line. It's such an unnecessary anus clench

True, but i cant recall him doing that today (couldnt concentrate completely on the game today, family round for dinner).

With Jenks, i get the feeling that he will be able to grow and cut out that cavalier shit under Bould/Merts tutalage. You get the sense that he listens and adapts.

I also think confidence in himself has a part to play, when hes done that cross field bollocks, its usually because he cant see an easy out, so looks for the most open man. If thats across the field, then in his mind he'll do it, but youve got to have talent to pull those off accurately, everytime as well as vision to see opposition players that could cut out that hollywood ball.

He seemed much more settled today...
Zedie
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13