Montpellier Vs Arsenal | Champions League 18/09/2012

Re: Montpellier Vs Arsenal | Champions League 18/09/2012

Postby golfinguy » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:47 am

We held on, but that second half we looked like we had a lot of dead legs out there. Wenger Bould should have gone to the bench earlier. They were picking up all the loose balls - we looked down a man at times. Needed some fresh legs!

Gutted to see that penalty called - soft call given the location and lack of threat. Then again, that lack of threat means the foul was pretty foolish too.

But they say this of all the good teams - that you can still win even when you're not at your best. Lets just hope we're back on the front foot Sunday!
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby friedslice » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:59 am

Don't know how anyone thought Merte was our best defender last night, looked sluggish and clumsy several times and his diving in against Belhanda in the box was terrible defending, really want to see Koscielny back starting. I think Mertesackers done well thus far and is an acceptable back up, but not at the expense of Koscielny.

A poor second half, players looked tired and a lack of quality showed, but that'll be improved with Wilshere/Rosicky/Ox featuring in future matches and it was our 2nd game in 3 days, Gervinho and Cazorla particularly looked knackered....although both players superbly again.

Gibbs, Podolski, Santi and Gervinho been our best players thus far this season I think.
Diaby was good again but terrible in defence holding on for it too long, he needs to be a bit more sensible at times.

it was a good 3 pts and most importantly we didn't concede from open play yet again, despite the ammount of pressure we were under, don't think we could say that often last season.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Trina » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:24 am

SammyGunner11 wrote:Just finished watching the game and I applaud the lads performance. Montpellier certainly tested our defense and need to be praised for their performance too. However, Bould's work can no longer be overlooked. Despite the constant pressure in the second half, we never looked out of place at the back. We were organised, cool, and composed. Also it was pretty clear to me that some of our players (i.e. Diaby, Cazorla, Podolski, etc.) were playing on their last legs towards the end. Good thing no one got injured. Anyway what I noticed:

*Giroud got an assist :biggrin: ! Well taken goal by Podolski, too. Didn't rush it. We need more composure like he has in front of goal
*Geeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrvvvvvvvvvvvvvvviiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooooooooo. I knew he would come good and he's starting to show it. Got a goal, tracked back, and always looked dangerous going forward
*Mannone played well. He should not be dropped anytime soon, imo (and thats coming from someone who has little to no faith in him and Fabianski).
*Cazorla is sheer class in a glass :dance: . The way he works his way out of tight spaces and picks out near impossible passes is orgasmic
*Jenkinson is improving. There's no doubt about that in my mind now. He stays on his feet when he needs to and he knows when to commit. He will turn into something special.
*Arteta :hail: :hail: :hail: . Praises will be given to the likes of Cazorla, Podoski, etc. all day long, but Arteta is probably as imprtant if not moreso.
*Diaby, Mertesacker, Gibbs, Vermaelen all went about their business and did their part to defend our lead

Bring on the Citizens!!!
:arse flag.gif: :grouphug: :arse flag.gif:

I disagree about Arteta, infact I remember a few times last night saying man up! He was on the floor far too easy last night imo. Jenkinson still has a lot of work to do. At one point they were booting the ball all the time to that side, he just wasn't aware of who was around him.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby VCC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:38 am

didnt get to watch this got called away so missed most of the second half and also missed the replay,great result enjoyed reading the comments
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:27 am

Happy with the result. I could not believe we were hanging on though. Guess we have to say they were better than we thought they would be. There were no poor performances. Diaby must be coming good, He was guilty of overplaying in his own box. Went on a great run after that where he beat a few players. Really is doing well. Gervinho wore himself out. Got to be happy. Think us and Schalke will be the top 2. Roll on Sunday.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TheLittleMozart » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:44 am

We played poorly but we still won and im delighted about that.

However... Giroud, was again shite. People have said that he has great movement which is fine, but good players have movement AND score goals, the latter of which I think Giroud will struggle to do.
TheLittleMozart
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby gooner_7890 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:47 am

Great result last night but the performance was far from convincing.

The team looked tired and lethargic after half time and we were under the cosh for the majority of the second half.

However, a win's a win and we should be happy we've come away with all 3 points.
gooner_7890
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:21 pm

That kind of composure needs to rub off on the rest of the team

friedslice wrote:Diaby was good again

:rofll:
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GSK_AFC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Podolskis finishing is superb.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:06 pm

Diaby made one special run during the game, worked hard to close down at times and generally tried to keep shape in midfield. However, he also made two monumental errors which, if montpelliers finishing was better, would have undone all of the good work we then held onto in the first half. For the one in the area, it pissed me right off that he managed to make space for himself to launch, but still daudled ending up losing the ball in a dangerous area. Ffs.

You simply cannot try to play out of trouble or hold off for a pass in your own area or when your basically the last man out wide in your own half.

Although jenkinson can be a bit trigger happy at times, when he's penned in or sees the danger of being penned in, he will launch the ball 10 times out of ten. Diaby needs to learn that he needs to be doing this in his own box or if he happens to end up as last man.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby GSK_AFC » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Diaby needs to learn how to release the ball quicker at times.
GSK_AFC
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:13 pm

You are forgetting he got booked in the first 30 seconds as well and he was extremely lucky not to give away a penalty towards the end, it was a clear foul in the box, far clearer than Vermealen's. The guy is an idiot and a liability 90% of the time

Worked hard? Pft, I've never seen him work hard. Graft isn't a part of his game

The double standards just piss me off, like I said in the other thread, if it was Ramsey he would be getting crucified from all quarters for that performance. But the next half decent game Diaby has, he's our saviour again.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby yosifun » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:16 pm

GSK_AFC wrote:Diaby needs to learn how to release the ball quicker at times.

More importantly he needs to learn how to tackle, he consistently fouls the opponent, comparing him to Viera is pure blasphemy. Our midfield would be amazing with Wilshere back as our CM.

Gerv and Poldi were great again, I love it when I see them running back to help the defence. Giroud didn't score, but he had a nice assist, when he learns to ask for the ball more often the goals will come.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2
yosifun
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby JackMan86 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:43 pm

TheLittleMozart wrote:We played poorly but we still won and im delighted about that.

However... Giroud, was again shite. People have said that he has great movement which is fine, but good players have movement AND score goals, the latter of which I think Giroud will struggle to do.

It's only been about 5 games, give the guy a break.

Can't be easy coming to a new league in a different country, especially when the guy you are replacing was the top scorer last season.

I think Giroud will come good. Judge him after Christmas
KROENKE OUT GAZIDIS OUT HILL-WOOD OUT

USMANOV IN
JackMan86
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:04 pm

Trina wrote:
I disagree about Arteta, infact I remember a few times last night saying man up! He was on the floor far too easy last night imo. Jenkinson still has a lot of work to do. At one point they were booting the ball all the time to that side, he just wasn't aware of who was around him.

Maybe that was down to tired legs :dontknow: . Anyway, Arteta rarely ever does anything infuriating. Its one thing I like about him. Add to that he always seems to be in the right positions. Its like we have two Artetas on the field!

Jenkinson still needs more experience I agree, but I'm pleased with how he's developping so far. He handled the situations where he was one on one with the opposition pretty well yesterday, imo. He also got an assist too.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13