Arsenal V Southampton | Premiership 15/09/2012

Re: Arsenal V Southampton | Premiership 15/09/2012

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:47 pm

They've made a few good signings and let us not forget that Norwich are largely made up of league 1 standard players and they put 3 past us at home last season.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:00 am

Inchpractice wrote:
Kyle? wrote:
Massa wrote:no they really aren't

They really are. They're a team of league 1 players (and i mean it), i really do think they could give Derby a run for their money. The way they got beaten at home by a poor Wigan side gave me all the evidence i needed.

They lost to Wigan and they're not picking up the points but on the other hand they scored 2 against Manure and 2 against City. Don't think we've ever scored 2 against City since Mancini took over.

beat them 3-0 in Manchester the season before last
I've got you covered starman :sneaky2:
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby StLGooner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 am

CynicalGooner wrote:They've made a few good signings and let us not forget that Norwich are largely made up of league 1 standard players and they put 3 past us at home last season.

Exactly!

Cyn gets it. Kyle, you may understand one day too. ;) No game is easy, we may very well beat them 5 nil, but we could just as easily get beat 3 nil, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:12 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:They've made a few good signings and let us not forget that Norwich are largely made up of league 1 standard players and they put 3 past us at home last season.

Exactly!

Cyn gets it. Kyle, you may understand one day too. ;) No game is easy, we may very well beat them 5 nil, but we could just as easily get beat 3 nil, and I wouldn't be a bit surprised.

I would be. With our defence's form at the moment I can see them scoring a goal, but no more than 1. I see us scoring at least 2, so we're covered IMO.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 pm

Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Exactly!

I would be. With our defence's form at the moment I can see them scoring a goal, but no more than 1. I see us scoring at least 2, so we're covered IMO.

Pool could have easily put 3 past of if they were more clinical. People always assume that because we kept 3 clean sheets that we were great on defense. We bent alot, but just didn't break, we are due to give up some goals soon, so I wouldn't be surprised at all. Sometimes you can play bad and win, and sometimes you can play good and lose. Just like you can play good defense and still give up goals, and also play bad and not give up any. It's only been 3 games don't let 3 cleans sheets fool you into thinking all of our defensive problems have been solved.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:30 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Exactly!

Pool could have easily put 3 past of if they were more clinical. People always assume that because we kept 3 clean sheets that we were great on defense. We bent alot, but just didn't break, we are due to give up some goals soon, so I wouldn't be surprised at all. Sometimes you can play bad and win, and sometimes you can play good and lose. Just like you can play good defense and still give up goals, and also play bad and not give up any. It's only been 3 games don't let 3 cleans sheets fool you into thinking all of our defensive problems have been solved.

I didn't say that our problems were solved. I specifically said 'defence's form'. In the Liverpool match the only bad things I noticed was Sterlings shot that hit the post, Suarez getting past Mertesacker twice, nearly getting a penalty for a dive, and the fact that Liverpool had too many shots from outside the box(which leaves me to wonder where you think they could've eaily scored 3 against us?)
Sterlings shot was a mistake, which can and probably will happen against Soton, which is why I said the can score against us. Suarez won't be there and I don't see Lambert getting past Mertesacker or TV5 on the ground, so as I've said before as long as we're safe in the air we can keep a clean sheet. In terms of shots from outside the box, Mannone handled them well and I wouldn't mind if Soton managed to score a screamer no-one could do anything about.
Lastly, if you watch Soton's goals against United and City you can easily see that they came from lapses in concentration from the back four, which hasn't happened to us (arguably because of Bould).
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Exactly!

I didn't say that our problems were solved. I specifically said 'defence's form'. In the Liverpool match the only bad things I noticed was Sterlings shot that hit the post, Suarez getting past Mertesacker twice, nearly getting a penalty for a dive, and the fact that Liverpool had too many shots from outside the box(which leaves me to wonder where you think they could've eaily scored 3 against us?)
Sterlings shot was a mistake, which can and probably will happen against Soton, which is why I said the can score against us. Suarez won't be there and I don't see Lambert getting past Mertesacker or TV5 on the ground, so as I've said before as long as we're safe in the air we can keep a clean sheet. In terms of shots from outside the box, Mannone handled them well and I wouldn't mind if Soton managed to score a screamer no-one could do anything about.
Lastly, if you watch Soton's goals against United and City you can easily see that they came from lapses in concentration from the back four, which hasn't happened to us (arguably because of Bould).

I didn't say you said they were solved, I just said don't let them fool you into thinking they were just because we haven't conceded yet.

And Suarez also turned Verm easily and tried a cheeky chip at close range instead of a low hard drive to a corner that would probably beat most keepers. All I'm saying is, its too early to know who we are as a team especially since we have new players that are very significant to our game, and a new coach. To me anything can happen in football and usually does, but it is way to early to be saying games like this should be easy, because in recent history they haven't been. If we beat all the teams that people say we should have the past 7 years, we would have easily had a trophy in that time, and probably more than one.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:46 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Exactly!

I didn't say you said they were solved, I just said don't let them fool you into thinking they were just because we haven't conceded yet.

And Suarez also turned Verm easily and tried a cheeky chip at close range instead of a low hard drive to a corner that would probably beat most keepers. All I'm saying is, its too early to know who we are as a team especially since we have new players that are very significant to our game, and a new coach. To me anything can happen in football and usually does, but it is way to early to be saying games like this should be easy, because in recent history they haven't been. If we beat all the teams that people say we should have the past 7 years, we would have easily had a trophy in that time, and probably more than one.

I agree with everything you're saying, but my point is that we can go confident into this game that we can score at least 2 goals and concede 1 if not 0. Suarez and Sterling both had chances, but saying 'what if they went in' just makes me think 'what if Giroud did better with his chances'.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:51 pm

Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Exactly!

I agree with everything you're saying, but my point is that we can go confident into this game that we can score at least 2 goals and concede 1 if not 0. Suarez and Sterling both had chances, but saying 'what if they went in' just makes me think 'what if Giroud did better with his chances'.

The point wasn't IF they went in, it was that they had great chances, so did Sunderland, and good defenses don't give up great chances. Sooner or later those chances will go in. Unless we're just very lucky.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:59 pm

ChVint22 wrote:The point wasn't IF they went in, it was that they had great chances, so did Sunderland, and good defenses don't give up great chances.

Good defenses don't give away great chances? Are you serious? Are you saying that Dortmund, Real and Juve (champions last year) didn't give away great chances?
Also, how were those great chances? Yes, Sunderland had one because of Mert playing McClean(?) onside, and Suarez might count, but that's maybe 2 or 3 in 3 games.

ChVint22 wrote:Sooner or later those chances will go in. Unless we're just very lucky.

Yes they'll go in. Of course they will. That's where the attack comes in. We've limited all 3 opponents so far to barely having any chances, and in the Liverpool match we finally took our chances we created, and won.

I don't understand how you can't have faith in our defense after the first 3 games. We've limited regular and great chances from our opposition, and our keepers have both stood up.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:05 pm

Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:The point wasn't IF they went in, it was that they had great chances, so did Sunderland, and good defenses don't give up great chances.

Good defenses don't give away great chances? Are you serious? Are you saying that Dortmund, Real and Juve (champions last year) didn't give away great chances?
Also, how were those great chances? Yes, Sunderland had one because of Mert playing McClean(?) onside, and Suarez might count, but that's maybe 2 or 3 in 3 games.

ChVint22 wrote:Sooner or later those chances will go in. Unless we're just very lucky.

Yes they'll go in. Of course they will. That's where the attack comes in. We've limited all 3 opponents so far to barely having any chances, and in the Liverpool match we finally took our chances we created, and won.

I don't understand how you can't have faith in our defense after the first 3 games. We've limited regular and great chances from our opposition, and our keepers have both stood up.

Well of course they give up some, but they don't give up alot, I thought maybe you would've understood that point. And I don't understand how you do have great faith in our defense after only 3 games, when the past 6 or 7 years it has been the main reason for us being trophyless. If you want to judge just after 3 games then I guess Chelsea are going to be Champions right?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Well of course they give up some, but they don't give up alot, I thought maybe you would've understood that point. And I don't understand how you do have great faith in our defense after only 3 games, when the past 6 or 7 years it has been the main reason for us being trophyless. If you want to judge just after 3 games then I guess Chelsea are going to be Champions right?

Apples and oranges. I'm talking about confidence in our next game, not the rest of the season.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:12 pm

Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Apples and oranges. I'm talking about confidence in our next game, not the rest of the season.

Well you jumped in on my conversation about me making a point about no games are easy, and 3 pts never being guaranteed. So maybe you should recognize what the argument is before you jump in with a whole different point on a topic.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Pudpop » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:18 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

Well you jumped in on my conversation about me making a point about no games are easy, and 3 pts never being guaranteed. So maybe you should recognize what the argument is before you jump in with a whole different point on a topic.

You also made a point about not being surprised about us losing 3-0, which is what I replied to. You replied to me about THAT point, nothing about games being easy. All I talked about was faith in our defense to not concede more than 1 next game.
Pudpop
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:21 pm

Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Pudpop wrote:

You also made a point about not being surprised about us losing 3-0, which is what I replied to. You replied to me about THAT point, nothing about games being easy. All I talked about was faith in our defense to not concede more than 1 next game.

Which all tied in to the whole conversation before you jumped in. So like I said, pay attention to what the topic is.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2012-13