06/07 A Review

Post your football articles here for other members to read. Please remember it must be your own work.

06/07 A Review

Postby whee » Sat May 19, 2007 10:56 pm

12 months ago, we'd waved goodbye to Highbury, and we'd lost to Barcelona in the Champions League Final, after going down to 10 men around the 20 minute mark.

One year on, and where have we got to?

We said hello to our new home, The Emirates Stadium, or as it's more commonly known to us Red and White faithful, Ashburton Grove. The occassion was Dennis Bergkamps testimonial against Ajax. It was a fitting tribute to the ice man, and the perfect way to thank the man for 11 years of professional, commited, and world-class service. I am proud to say I was at the ground on that day, and saw some of the World's finest on display. A truly great day, and the new stadium was officially declared open. Officially in my book is Nwankwo Kanu from 20 yards... regardless of it being a pea roller.

With finishing 4th in 05/06, (above Spurs) - we had the small matter of qualification to the Champions League group stages to sort out, we did this with a comfortable 3-0 win away from home at Dinamo Zagreb.

And so, the Premiership got underway. Tickets for the opening league match were like Gold dust, infact, for most people, they didn't exist. The new stadium introduced membership cards to gain entry to the stadium, typical Arsenal, moving forwards with the times. We welcomed Villa on Day 1, and went a goal down. A story which would become very familiar. Luckily, Gilberto Silva saved our blushes after Walcott's introduction from the bench lifted everybody, and it was his cross that met the Brazilians right boot.

The Croats came to our place on the Wednesay, and Matthieu Flamini secured our very first win in our new ground late on.

Our first defeat was at City - f**k off Jon - thanks to a Joey Barton penalty. Away from home in the North would prove to be our undoing again, as we struggled for results in the League at Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Liverpool, Everton, Bolton too.....

Adebayor secured us a win at Old Trafford, we ripped the Red Scouse to pieces at home, pissed all over the Yids, and were unlucky not to steal 3 points at the Bridge, against that bunch.

We'd have been pushing for a place closer to the top had it not been for dropping so many points in draws at home against lesser clubs, Middlesbrough, Newcastle, Pompey, adding to the points we lost oop North.

It's been a problem for a couple of years now, but it's one that looks like being addressed. The cup results up North this year, speak for themself. We disposed of Everton, West Brom and Liverpool with kids, and dished out a massacre on Valentine's Day in the Reebok. The player's know they can do it up there.

There's no shame in finishing 4th this year, we're back in the Champs League, settled into our new home, and we finished even further ahead of Spurs.

The injuries to RvP and henry didn't help matters, it shouldn't have mattered quite so much, but we also learned that The Beast can only hit the back of the net at Anfield. Adebayor blew hot and cold infront of goal, but has a presence on the football pitch that can only be useful.

There weren't so many high points this season, but following a campaign that included a Champions League Final, knocking Juve out of the CL, beating Madrid in their own back yard, I didn't think there would be. Our successes this year, haven't been so obvious as in recent years.

This season, we've seen more of Fabregas, and know full well what he is capable of. Denilson too, he'll have a very, very good season next time out. Diaby recovered from a horrible injury, and showed some bright touches, encouraging comparison's to our former captain. Hoyte's development has been incredible, and the shoe's that Prize c*** Cole left for Clichy to fill have been trhown out and burnt. The pacey little Frenchman has taken the role on, and done admirably.

Next season? Bigger things.

Like Piston's Sig states, The future's bright, the future's Red & White.

We've got a lot to look forward to at Arsenal. Chelsea didn't beat us, United couldn't get near us, and Liverpool, despite being Champs League finalists this season, still can't compete for a domestic title, and their squad is still filled with shit like Arbeloa, Mark Gonzalez and Zenden.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fee » Sun May 20, 2007 6:04 am

That is a great and informative article Whee ;)

Well done, you get a gold star and I hope to read many more of your articles :D

Can I have your autograph???? :mrgreen:
Fee
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby whee » Sun May 20, 2007 11:55 am

wish I could remember doing it....

I came to the computer this morning at 8, there were empty bottles of Stella, and i'd written "f**k Tottenham" on the desk.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby imdaonlyColum » Sun May 20, 2007 12:05 pm

hahaha quality. all things considered, very impressive review then :lol:
imdaonlyColum
Patrick Vieira

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Sun May 20, 2007 2:55 pm

Excellent article Whee, really enjoyed reading that! :P
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby CLS » Mon May 21, 2007 6:10 am