English Football Under Threat

Post your football articles here for other members to read. Please remember it must be your own work.

Re: English Football Under Threat

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:10 pm

AT LAST! Some common sense prevails! :cool:

Lets hope this is the end of all this 39th game nonsense! :D
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby UFGN » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:11 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Finnally Sepp Blatter has something useful to say...

I can't help think though that the reason he has apposed the Premier League plans are because he wants to see Champions League games played in America and the Far East.

My brother joked (or at least i hope he was joking) that we are more likely to see the Carling Cup final or FA Cup final played abroad.

They can do what they bloody well like with the Carling (Disney Vase) Cup. In fact, that could be a good solution if they insist on playing competitive matches abroad.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Cheese » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:13 pm

Up For Grabs Now wrote:

I can't help think though that the reason he has apposed the Premier League plans are because he wants to see Champions League games played in America and the Far East.

My brother joked (or at least i hope he was joking) that we are more likely to see the Carling Cup final or FA Cup final played abroad.

They can do what they bloody well like with the Carling (Disney Vase) Cup. In fact, that could be a good solution if they insist on playing competitive matches abroad.

It would be like sending the kids on holiday.
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby UFGN » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:35 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:
Up For Grabs Now wrote:

It would be like sending the kids on holiday.

And probably to Disney Land (quite literally!!) Theyve got a big whale show stadium thingy there called Shamu Stadium. Build a temporary floating football pitch and theyre in business.

Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby Libertine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:09 am

*bump*

Back in October the 49ers played the Broncos in a regular season NFL fixture at Wembley Stadium.
A few weeks ago the Nets and the Raptors played a couple of regular season NBA fixtures at the O2.
This weekend the Crusaders play the Sharks at Twickenham in a regular season Super 14 fixture.

These are all big teams, in major sports, that have decided to give up a fixture in their own country to play abroad.
What do we now think of the chances of a Premier League fixture taking place abroad?

Back in January two London rugby clubs (Wasps and Harlequins) played their LV Cup match in Abu Dhabi, all paid for by their hosts.
Is it now possible that Man City could follow suit and play a fixture out there?
Perhaps even against us, seeing as we have the Emirate sponsorship and Wenger did not dismiss the idea of a game abroad when 39th game idea was first mentioned?

Could it be that two clubs with American ownership decide to play a fixture over in the States?
Is the idea of Manchester United v Aston Villa taking place in New York nonsense?
Or could it soon be a reality?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby StLGooner » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:07 pm

As much as I'd like to see a regular season game over here, it would only be for selfish reasons, so I'm against this right now cause I don't see the reason for it really, and it would take away from the fans that made this league and sport what it is. Preseason tours I'm starting to warm up to though.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Libertine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:16 pm

ChVint22 wrote:As much as I'd like to see a regular season game over here, it would only be for selfish reasons, so I'm against this right now cause I don't see the reason for it really, and it would take away from the fans that made this league and sport what it is. Preseason tours I'm starting to warm up to though.

What was the reaction of fans Stateside to NBA and NFL games being staged in London mate?
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Swan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:18 pm

you ever ben to a pre season tour game?

it's mostly reserve players and they dont take it as serious as they do when its a real game... don't get me wrong it's still good but just not as good...
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:27 pm

Libertine wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:As much as I'd like to see a regular season game over here, it would only be for selfish reasons, so I'm against this right now cause I don't see the reason for it really, and it would take away from the fans that made this league and sport what it is. Preseason tours I'm starting to warm up to though.

What was the reaction of fans Stateside to NBA and NFL games being staged in London mate?

I don't think anyone cared to be honest. I didn't hear any negative reactions at all. I'm sure there were a few that didn't like it, but not enough to kick up a fuss about.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:28 pm

Swan wrote:you ever ben to a pre season tour game?

it's mostly reserve players and they dont take it as serious as they do when its a real game... don't get me wrong it's still good but just not as good...

Nope, never have, but then again there is only one team worth going to see for me and they haven't came over here.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:41 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Libertine wrote:

I don't think anyone cared to be honest. I didn't hear any negative reactions at all. I'm sure there were a few that didn't like it, but not enough to kick up a fuss about.

I think I need to add that we aren't as much of traditionalist as you Brits, so when things change or are new, there isn't as much of an uproar about it as there might be over there.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Swan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:46 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Swan wrote:you ever ben to a pre season tour game?

Nope, never have, but then again there is only one team worth going to see for me and they haven't came over here.

i hear ya

i've seen a handful but never the one i want
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Swan » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Libertine wrote:

the NHL have also gone over seas to play regular season games and it hasn't put the league under threat it just opens it up to other fans
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gzagee » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 pm

If Sir Dave, Martin Gill & co see fit that the PL stand to make much money from playing a game or two abroad then I don't think it'll be too far off.
We have seen that Sky and PL don't really care much for the 'traditions' of the game. The way I see it, if they can convince the other members it's mostly win-win then don't be at all surprised.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby VCC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:06 pm

Libertine wrote:*bump*

Back in October the 49ers played the Broncos in a regular season NFL fixture at Wembley Stadium.
A few weeks ago the Nets and the Raptors played a couple of regular season NBA fixtures at the O2.
This weekend the Crusaders play the Sharks at Twickenham in a regular season Super 14 fixture.

These are all big teams, in major sports, that have decided to give up a fixture in their own country to play abroad.
What do we now think of the chances of a Premier League fixture taking place abroad?

Back in January two London rugby clubs (Wasps and Harlequins) played their LV Cup match in Abu Dhabi, all paid for by their hosts.
Is it now possible that Man City could follow suit and play a fixture out there?
Perhaps even against us, seeing as we have the Emirate sponsorship and Wenger did not dismiss the idea of a game abroad when 39th game idea was first mentioned?

Could it be that two clubs with American ownership decide to play a fixture over in the States?
Is the idea of Manchester United v Aston Villa taking place in New York nonsense?
Or could it soon be a reality?

The Crusaders had no choice but to move games this season as there stadium was damaged in the Christ church earth quake,the venues the crusaders have used since are very small as little as 10.000 seaters so this was offered and is a good way even if only 50.000 of the seats are sold getting revenue that has been lost by the quake,if this succeded you may well see a regular super game in your neck of the woods. :)
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Article zone