English Football Under Threat

Post your football articles here for other members to read. Please remember it must be your own work.

Re: English Football Under Threat

Postby Libertine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:44 pm

shon wrote:even if only 50.000 of the seats are sold getting revenue that has been lost by the quake.

Yeah, i think it's £5 from every ticket sold goes to the earthquake appeal.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:58 pm

American sports come over here for the money. f**k them. Im sorry but just because they have sold out their souls doesnt mean we should even entertain the idea of rolling over and letting football become a f***ing circus. American Football (the sport) is a joke. Adverts literally every minute. If its fans put up with what I saw when I watched the superbowl a few weeks back, its no wonder there was no serious opposition to matches being played abroard....its already a circus so why would it matter anyway?

Football is not comparrible.

Just.........

No
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby Libertine » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:01 pm

gzagee wrote:If Sir Dave, Martin Gill & co see fit that the PL stand to make much money from playing a game or two abroad then I don't think it'll be too far off.
We have seen that Sky and PL don't really care much for the 'traditions' of the game. The way I see it, if they can convince the other members it's mostly win-win then don't be at all surprised.

That's what i was thinking Gza.
The clubs are all in favour of it so i can see it happening sooner rather than later.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby UFGN » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:06 pm

If it goes ahead I am finished with football. And after 24 years, finished with Arsenal. I dont think it will happen though for the reasons highlighted earlier in the thread
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:19 am

Things is Grabs, the talk of the extra game/s and whatnot that might hamper the players is only of the interest of the FA and the National set-up. But as I suggested in the 'FA run by PL' thread the FA's board members consist of some big cheeses at PL clubs. Their interests lie with how much commercial revenue will be brought in for their club/s. They care not for the England set-up. That is not their interest. So as long as you have the likes of Dave Richards, Martin Gill, Phil Gartside exert their conflicted interests in the FA's matters there's no telling what seemingly hairbrain scheme they can come up with.

Rule nothing out!
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby VCC » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:16 am

gzagee wrote:Things is Grabs, the talk of the extra game/s and whatnot that might hamper the players is only of the interest of the FA and the National set-up. But as I suggested in the 'FA run by PL' thread the FA's board members consist of some big cheeses at PL clubs. Their interests lie with how much commercial revenue will be brought in for their club/s. They care not for the England set-up. That is not their interest. So as long as you have the likes of Dave Richards, Martin Gill, Phil Gartside exert their conflicted interests in the FA's matters there's no telling what seemingly hairbrain scheme they can come up with.

Rule nothing out!

Thats great look forward to a EPl game in NZ hahahaha :lol:
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Libertine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:17 pm

UFGN wrote: I dont think it will happen though for the reasons highlighted earlier in the thread

But i wasn't suggesting the extra "39th" game, as i think that is dead in the water.

I'm asking: Is it now feasible that two clubs might decide between them to take a game abroad? As has happened in the other sports i've mentioned.
All the Premieship clubs are in favour of the idea as it will be a right money-spinner.
And the Premier League hierachy are certainly all for it.

Example: Manchester City suggest to Birmingham City that their Premier League/FA Cup fixture could be played in Abu Dhabi.
if Manchester City are happy to give up home advantage and Birmingham are happy to travel, because the UAE consortium are covering their costs, i don't see what, if any, opposition there would be to it (outside of the fans of course but no-one's listened to the fans in the last 25 years).
With all the clubs trying to explore new avenues of increasing their incomes, i really think it's only a matter of time.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Est83 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 pm

That could definitely happen.

They would get around the team losing it's home advantage by paying more to the "home" team in that fixture.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby SE13 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Libertine wrote:no-one's listened to the fans in the last 25 years

Ain't that the truth.

The very fact that this and countless other similar threads have ever been debated is for that very reason.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Libertine » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:29 pm

gzagee wrote:Things is Grabs, the talk of the extra game/s and whatnot that might hamper the players is only of the interest of the FA and the National set-up. But as I suggested in the 'FA run by PL' thread the FA's board members consist of some big cheeses at PL clubs. Their interests lie with how much commercial revenue will be brought in for their club/s. They care not for the England set-up. That is not their interest. So as long as you have the likes of Dave Richards, Martin Gill, Phil Gartside exert their conflicted interests in the FA's matters there's no telling what seemingly hairbrain scheme they can come up with.

Spot on Gza.
As i've posted before, the Premier League was set up with the aim of improving the England team.
That was why it was formed. That was it's sole purpose. That was their manifesto.
A consortium of football club money-men (our David Dein amongst them) went to the FA with a proposal that, if they were allowed to form a breakaway, elite division it would be central and beneficial to the improvement of the national team.

But somewhere in amongst all that money that's been made, the Premier League's raison d'etre seems to have been forgotten.... :think:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:41 pm

Another way to look at it is basically giving the bigger clubs an extra home game compared to the team who they are playing, could have no fans there.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Est83 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:50 pm

That's definitely true. Arsenal vs Wolverhampton Wonders... who's more liekly to have a bigger fan base abroad :think:

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby gzagee » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:56 pm

It’s not really an extra home game unless you expand the number of teams, or like in SPL each team play 3 or 4 times.
It’s more about getting bigger gate and TV revenue. And really eating into the wider audience appeal.
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:00 pm

I'd much rather the played the FA Cup semis there rather than at f***ing Wembley!
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Previous

Return to Article zone