American Gooner

Post your football articles here for other members to read. Please remember it must be your own work.

American Gooner

Postby StLGooner » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:45 pm

Arsenal. Its only one word, but so beautiful, so strong, with different meanings, but yet only one strong love for it. Arsenal. It is sport, it is competition, it is life. Arsenal. It is being a part of something, it is living for the weekend, it is being low and being high all in one flash of brilliance.

Arsenal. Just the word itself is so strong. The definition of the word is: a collection or supply of weapons or munitions. Weapons? Weapons like Cesc, RvP, Theo, Hleb, Kolo, Gallas. Supply? Supply like all of our youngsters waiting in the wings. All of our young kids that AW has collected and nutured through the ranks.

You see, Arsenal is more than a word. It is the pulse that keeps my competitive heart beating. It is the tradition and love that reminds me so much of home. It is the one team that caught my eye when choosing a team to follow/support when watching my favorite football league in the world. It is and always will be in my heart until its last beat. Arsenal

I'm not from London, never been. I'm not from England, but can't wait to visit. See English football has a rich tradition and history that I may never know of. In its best form, its raw, and pure, and is the most exciting, phsycial, skilled footy on the planet (some will argue this). It has created rivalries that date back 100 years more, it has been thru war, depression, ups and downs, life and death. It has torn friendships apart, but created many at the same time. But the love, the excitement, the buzz of matchday, man I tell you there is nothing like it. And this is coming from someone who has yet to attend a game at all, especially an Arsenal game.

So you may ask why? Why Arsenal? Why did a good ol' yank choose my Arsenal? Well, that is one easy answer. Have you seen Arsenal play? Thats why, for the beautiful footy that was witnessed for the first time. For, the way that they nuture and breed players, instead of buying them with unlimited cash resources. For the tradition, the history, the past success. For the simple fact that they are not the Mancs, or Chelsea or Liverpool (which seems to be the majority favorite in the US). That is why I chose Arsenal. And I think they chose me. I was drawn to them, as if some form of footy magic directed me to them, and now, I'm here for good.

It's not always easy being an American supporting an English football team. One being the obvious reason of not being able to attend the games regulary if at all. Another is being behind in time by six hours. This causes some problems with catching live games. Fortunately I have this wonderful invention called satellite tv, that allows me to catch pretty much all of Arsenals games, I believe even more than most of you might get. One other great invention that helps me see games that I cannot watch live due to work is the DVR. Digital Video Recorder. The DVR and I have became good friends this past year, he never lets me down. And last but not least, the other invention that keeps me connected to my most beloved team is the internet. Yes, this has allowed me to keep up to date stats, coverage, rumors, and most of all knowledge about our Arsenal, and of course it has led me to this wonderful forum of great people that I hope to meet one day (well maybe except Ab_Fab, j/k :lol: buddy). But even though it may be a little difficult from here across the pond, I wouldn't change a thing.

See, I understand when some say only true supporters are English, or are from London, or can actually attend the games. I may have never been to a game yet, or sat at the clock end, or knuckled up with some yiddos. But, when I wake up I think Arsenal, when I go to bed I think Arsenal, when the wife is nagging at me I think Arsenal. When we lose, I feel sick and gutted, when we win I'm on cloud nine. I eat, sleep, breath, live and die Arsenal. And I will not let anyone take that away.

I have to admit, its not all bad. No matter what country I'm from or whoever reading this is from, we all share a love that is strong. And right now, it is a very good time to be a Gooner. Top of the League!!! So lets all sit back and enjoy being able to witness the fine form we're in at the moment, and lets all not forget why we've crossed paths in this world, and thats for the love and passion for a very fine football club that we call ARSENAL.

:flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag: :flag:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: American Gooner

Postby Cheese » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:57 pm

*whipes tear from eye* thats was great ChVint top stuff :trophy:

:flag: Up the Arsenal! :flag:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Trina » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:30 pm

Great read! ;)
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Fordy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:32 pm

nice one mate its a good read
Fordy

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:35 pm

if only i was as good with words, then i could write the same
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby StLGooner » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:41 pm

Thanks guys, it took me awhile to re write that. I tried to post one a month ago, but lost it some how, so I got over being mad and went ahead and did another one. Thanks for checking it out.

And Ab_Fab, you're good with words, why do you think you make me laugh with half your post?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Git » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:48 pm

Nice ready buddy.

As for Ab_Fab...well, he's Scottish, he can't be that good with words. :P
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:28 pm

oi git!!!

ever heard of rabbie burns?
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Git » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:33 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:oi git!!!

ever heard of rabbie burns?

I'm talking about a majority mate... ;)

:mrgreen:
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:37 pm

stuf ur words shite

put scottish v english

man for man

one on one

fight till the death

there would only be one winner
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Git » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:39 pm

The Scot would be too drunk to turn up.

The English would be breaching their ASBO going that far up North.

The Welsh would be too busy doing their sheep's business.

The Irish well...they'd probably be pissed too.

STEREOTYPE MUCH? :P
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Fordy » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:44 pm

absolutely_fabregas wrote:stuf ur words shite

put scottish v english

man for man

one on one

fight till the death

there would only be one winner

im sure history shows it would be the english
Fordy

Postby Git » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:46 pm

Oh. God. No.

What have I done? I think I might have started an English vs Scottish argument.

OH SHI-

I'm sorry in advance ChVint, if this develops. :'(
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:49 pm

:?

if ur talking history

that was hardly a fair fight, weapons ,numbers of solidiers etc etc

plus we did alright for ourselves, given the circumstances