And Leicester....

Post your football articles here for other members to read. Please remember it must be your own work.

And Leicester....

Postby SE13 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Much has been made over the years at to why we have "And Leicester" in our "We all follow the Arsenal" song. The reason behind it was five games against Sheffield Wednesday in the 78/79 cup run, back in the days when every game went to a replay. It took five efforts to get past Wednesday, three of those games at Filbert Street after draws at Highbury and Hillsborough.

Arsenal had held the lead in all the previous games only to be pegged back by Wednesday resulting in possibly the longest cup decider I can remember. Neither side had held a two goal lead in the set, so after goals from Steve Gatting and Fr*nk St*pleton, there was surely no way it would happen again.

Arsenal on target for the signing of Brain Talbot from Ipswich were long favourites for the tie, and took the lead as early as the fifth minute from temporary striker Steve Gatting. Liam Brady was instrumental throughout, and indeed could have won himself a penalty but for a shocking refereeing decision (Yes they happened back then as well) Wednesday came back time and again, hit the bar, and a glorious save from Pat Jennings denied them before Alan Sunderland pounced on an easy ball, laid it across for St*pleton to head in. 2-0 and flying.

The more likely team in the second half were Wednesday, but Arsenal held firm, ground out the result and progressed. In truth, it could have been four or five by half time, but just as easily it could have been 2-2.

There were some 30,000+ watching the mud bath that night, yours truly as well, the relief on everyone's face was something to behold as we progressed to the next round of a cup we were ultimately to win.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Re: And Leicester....

Postby UFGN » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:19 pm

It would be cool to have all five programmes.
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN
Member of the Year 2014, 2019

Postby SE13 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:46 pm

I believe I have all five stored in the loft at my parents house......

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby UFGN » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:54 pm

SE13 wrote:I believe I have all five stored in the loft at my parents house......

Nice one! Im tempted to buy them off you, (presuming you would sell of course) but I spose the money would be better spent on a match ticket

How are you anyway mate?
Corinthians 15:57; But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus

UFGN

Postby SE13 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:23 pm

I doubt I'll be in their loft again until the pass away, so hopefully not any time soon.

Me, I'm fine. Just in the depths of divorce, but meh, life goes on. New flat, new life and all that.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby UFGN » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:41 pm

SE13 wrote:I doubt I'll be in their loft again until the pass away, so hopefully not any time soon.

Me, I'm fine. Just in the depths of divorce, but meh, life goes on. New flat, new life and all that.

Lifes not all roses mate as im sure you know. All I can say is soldier on... :1970_two_smileys_drinking_beer_together.gif:

UFGN

Postby UFGN » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Oh and Leicester is a crap town. Its got no soul.

UFGN

Postby SE13 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:43 pm

Absolutely, and dig some more memories out while I'm at it. Liverpoo in the semis that season was a marathon as well, might write something on that later.

SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby starmandb » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:03 am

UFGN wrote:
SE13 wrote:I believe I have all five stored in the loft at my parents house......

Nice one! Im tempted to buy them off you, (presuming you would sell of course) but I spose the money would be better spent on a match ticket

How are you anyway mate?

hi mate you can get the highbury replay programme and the 1st 2 leicester replays on ebay
the 1st game at hillsborough and the last replay are available on something called sheff weds programmes.com
it works out about 27 pound
a non member category c game is 26 pound
i only went to the 1st highbury replay but you can watch extensive highlights of the 1st game at hillsborough on you tube
we played them 5 times in 16 days with a league game with notts forest thrown in
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Return to Article zone