My diary of events on match day (Sunderland)

Post your football articles here for other members to read. Please remember it must be your own work.

My diary of events on match day (Sunderland)

Postby Cheese » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:26 am

Hi and welcome to my diary of events on the day of the Sunderland game.

It’s Sunday and it’s an early kick off, midday is not the best time but when I think about all the Gooners who live around the world and get up at all hours just to watch Arsenal on TV puts it all into perspective.

It wasn’t a normally match day for me I decided to get up at 5am to watch Formula One first, I got up and felt like my head was split into two, I thought that it would pass and I would be fine so I watched Formula One, Sadly that didn’t go how I wanted it to with Lewis Hamilton retiring on lap one and Raikkonen and Alonso when on to finish first and second respectively ensuring that the drivers title goes to the last race.

As soon as the race finished I was out the door and on my way to Arsenal, an hour and a half traveling using public transport on a Sunday morning is not the best way to get in the mood for a match especially when you not feeling one hundred percent. I got the bus to Morden tube station then the tube up to Holloway Road station. Thankfully noone threw themselves in front of any trains this time and I was able to get there for about 10:30.

This season I have started going to the Rocket before and after games, it’s a great way to get in the mood for the game because everyone has a drink and builds up for the game. So I stayed in the Rocket until 11:30 then everyone does The March. The March is where a few hundred Arsenal fans walk from the Rocket on Holloway Road to the Stadium whilst singing throughout the whole way to the ground, most common chant is probably, well anything aimed and Tottenham really, (Sorry for using the T word).

As the march reached the stadium outside the armory shop that is situated on the west side of the stadium a remembrance march for Dainton “The Bear” Connell was taking place. Dainton know as “The Bear” was a true Gooner who sadly died last week in Moscow, everyone stood still, even if they didn’t know him personally they clapped in respect to him, I didn’t know him but it was enough to put a lump in my throat. Seeing a sea of Dainton’s friends and family dressed in black was touching and something I probably will not see at the stadium again.

After that I made my way into the stadium sat in my seat and cheered on Arsenal, the game started really well for us Gunners being two-nil up after 14 minutes, we looked like we would cruse to victory sadly Arsenal tested my nerves to the limits after letting a two goal lead slip. Oh no were Arsenal slipping into there resent ways of letting games slip and dropping points at home? No! Not this time we seem to have found a grit and determination that the players keep going until the final whistle and it paid off with Robin van Persie getting the winner on the 80th minute, that goal sent me into a wiled frenzy along with the other 57,000 Gooners around the ground.
The last ten minutes was tense and I found myself feeling very ill that ten minutes seemed to take a life time it probably didn’t help the fact that I watched the clock and not the game during that period.

Yes full time and we won 3-2 that was it I could finally relax and that is what I did all pain seemed to disappear in a flash. After the game my mate Sarah and I went to the café to grab a bite to eat and after made our way back to the Rocket for a celebratory drink and a sing-song.

In the Rocket the atmosphere was as good a always singing on the karaoke and just enjoying the fact that Arsenal were top of the league, Our rightful place and not being there for three years makes it that much sweeter being there. Unfortunately I wasn’t feeling any better and had to leave earlier than I would like to, I left and about 5pm and made my way home feeling worst a bit worst for wear, I don’t know what was worst the journey to the stadium or the one going back at least when ever someone asked me the score I could smile and say 3-2 to the Gunners.

All in all it was a great day apart form the kick off time and the fact I was feeling like shite all day.

Arsenal made it all worth it and I can not wait for the Bolton game, dame the international breaks and I am going to have to wait for two weeks.

Thanks for reading

All_Arsenal_1886
(Ryan)
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: My diary of events on match day (Sunderland)

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:11 am

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote: After the game my mate Sarah and I went to the café to grab a bite to eat and after made our way back to the Rocket for a celebratory drink and a sing-song.

(Ryan)

u pumpin that bitch??

good read by the way
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby REG » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:37 am

absolutely_fabregas wrote:
All_Arsenal_1886 wrote: After the game my mate Sarah and I went to the café to grab a bite to eat and after made our way back to the Rocket for a celebratory drink and a sing-song.

(Ryan)

u pumpin that bitch??

good read by the way

:lol: it would be funny if she saw that, good one Ab
& good to know that you did enjoy yourself unlike stermaster (direct talk to all Arsenal now people) who saw me when he was down in the dumps after losing a fiver for the rocket & was drinking alone outside the box offfice lol
I would do one but i can see that all arsenal has taken my place ;)
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Trina » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:21 pm

Great article of your day! :)
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Libertine » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:47 pm

A Sunderland fan's pre-match video diary
(The Bear's march come past them at the end ;) )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz11I4VMejc
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:54 pm

wots the chant at the end?
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Libertine » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:18 am

absolutely_fabregas wrote:wots the chant at the end?

ooh to
ooh to be
ooh to be a
Gooner
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby SE13 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:00 am

Libertine wrote:

ooh to
ooh to be
ooh to be a
Gooner

A North Bank classic!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Libertine » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:26 am

SE13 wrote:
Libertine wrote:

ooh to
ooh to be
ooh to be a
Gooner

A North Bank classic!

us Clockenders used to sing it too. :cool:
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Cheese » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:23 am

It's probably the most used chant nowadays.

Constantly sung the the Rocket :mrgreen:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Libertine » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:54 am

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:It's probably the most used chant nowadays.

by a lot of people that don't know where it comes from.
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby REG » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:55 pm

My old headmaster use to love that song & kept singing it to me whenever we had a word about Arsenal
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:01 pm

Libertine wrote:
All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:It's probably the most used chant nowadays.

by a lot of people that don't know where it comes from.

Where did it come from Libs?
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Return to Article zone