The reason I’m a Gooner! What's your excuse?

Post your football articles here for other members to read. Please remember it must be your own work.

The reason I’m a Gooner! What's your excuse?

Postby Cheese » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:23 am

Before you read this its about me becoming an Arsenal supporter so it’s a bit of a long story, stop reading now if you don’t want to fall asleep. ;) :lol:

The question I get asked the most is “so why do you support Arsenal?” So I thought I would post on here my reasons for being a Gooner and I would like to hear your reasons too. If your not a Gooner, Why not? And what’s your reason for supporting the team of your choice.

It all started when I was young my dad wasn’t into football only England during the World Cup and European Championships, my earliest football memory is Euro 96 watching England v Spain in which I saw David Seaman become a hero during a penalty shoot out, at the point he became my favourite player.
After the game I wanted a David Seaman kit, I had a West Ham kit that my Nan had got me for my 9th birthday, it was the only one she could get me. So after looking around I couldn’t find a England David Seaman kit but I did find an Arsenal one so I got that, from this point I went round saying I support England and Arsenal because of David Seaman. I still didn’t follow Arsenal because they was never on my TV because my dad never had them on.

In December 1997 I got ill and went into the Royal Free Hospital I was supposed to be there for three days but my condition got worse and I stayed in over Christmas period I had my first ever major operation on boxing day so it wasn’t the best of Christmases but it was mad better by Arsenal and my Nan, she had been writing to Arsenal about me and they responded, a few weeks later I got the surprise of my life when two Arsenal players came into the hospital, we spent a hour I think just talking about Myself and how Arsenal was doing, I had presents to open from the I got a signed card from all the players a model sculpture of Highbury and Arsenal stationary. The lady who was with the players said to me do you know where that is as she pointed to Highbury I replied no and a bit embarrassed because I felt like I should, She told me that’s where I’m going when I get out of hospital, I just laid in bed with tears down my face, I was so happy I had just been invited not only to my first Arsenal match but my first football match.

From that day I did everything the doctor told me to do just so I could get out of there and go and see Arsenal, before this I went against everything the doctors told me to do because I was scared I wouldn’t have blood test etc. Knowing I had something to get well for it helped me start believing that I would get better, I didn’t know at the time but if I hadn’t of had the operation that boxing day I would have been dead. I finally got out of hospital during February 1998 I had been in hospital for two and a half months, I could go Arsenal strait away but I finally was fit enough to go Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday on March 28th 1998.

That morning I woke up smiling my Dad, Mum, Sister and Me all went up to Arsenal we went up on the tube early to avoid the crowds I had to walk round to the East stand and when I saw it for the first time I was in shock, I remember seeing a man outside the door dressed up in a uniform I had to knock on those big doors as they opened the lady who came to the hospital was standing the with a man who I had no idea who he was, his name was Ken Friar the chairman of Arsenal he spoke to me about Arsenal and what I would be doing throughout the day, this included meeting the manager and players, having a tour of Highbury and watching the game. The whole day was great Dennis Bergkamp scored the only goal as we won 1-0.

So that’s how my love affair with Arsenal started, I could of ended up supporting West Ham or maybe another club but I’m so happy that Arsenal is my team and I am forever grateful for them coming to see me in hospital and making me so happy. If it wasn’t for Arsenal I may not even be here especially if I had of carried on refusing the treatment needed. I still am in and out of hospital a lot because of my illness but I keep on going.

Last year I had an operation on the 10th July, I had a ticket for Bergkamp’s testimonial but was told I wouldn’t be fit enough to go, I proved everyone wrong and got myself up there just 12 days after my operation there was no way I was going to miss the last game of Bergkamp’s Arsenal Career especially after he scored the first Arsenal goal when I was at a game.

So for me Arsenal helps me though hard times, for some reason during a game I forget about being ill and concentrate on Arsenal and forget about any worries I have so they help me out loads that’s why I love to support them.

So that’s my story, how about you?

:arsenal:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: The reason I’m a Gooner! What's your excuse?

Postby Fordy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:33 am

nice one mate
Fordy

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:44 am

What a touching story!
That was such a nice gesture from the club not only to visit you in hospital but to also invite you to Highbury once you were well enough.

---------------------------------------

My Love for Arsenal, started with my ex husband, he was a Gooner & so were the rest of his family going back 4 generations, as they are all Londoners.....

The game that converted me was the Cup Winners Cup Final V Real Zaragoza 94/95 it was majorly a case of if you cant beat them join them, i sat fixated to the tv, and had been told that we were defending our title after winning it the previous year, the score was 1-1, Jonny Hartson who was from Swansea (like me) had scored the goal for us, the game had gone to extra time then Nayim, who i later found out was an ex ***, scored this amazing goal, (i still swear it was a fluke!) from about the half way line... i was newly wed back then & only had a portable, living in a top floor maisonatte on an army married quarters estate, in London.....my Tv nearly went through the window! i was furious! Im not sure who was more shocked by my reaction ..me or my ex! :lol:

And havent looked back since. I turned out to be a bigger supporter than what my then hubby was....often going to games with my father-in-law or hubby's cousins....i remember the 1st match i went to was Arsenal V Spurs at Highbury which was a 1-1 draw, & i panicked because i didnt have my own arsenal shirt, i borrowed one off my ex & it was like a bloody dress on me!!!

:flag:
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby chrisbishop69 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:18 pm

i followed after my dad who is a 3ed generation arsenal fan coz we are from, north london fairly boring compared with the other 2 lol
Chris is Cool
chrisbishop69
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby CLS » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:50 pm

All_Arsenal_1886 wrote:Before you read this its about me becoming an Arsenal supporter so it’s a bit of a long story, stop reading now if you don’t want to fall asleep. ;) :lol:

The question I get asked the most is “so why do you support Arsenal?” So I thought I would post on here my reasons for being a Gooner and I would like to hear your reasons too. If your not a Gooner, Why not? And what’s your reason for supporting the team of your choice.

It all started when I was young my dad wasn’t into football only England during the World Cup and European Championships, my earliest football memory is Euro 96 watching England v Spain in which I saw David Seaman become a hero during a penalty shoot out, at the point he became my favourite player.
After the game I wanted a David Seaman kit, I had a West Ham kit that my Nan had got me for my 9th birthday, it was the only one she could get me. So after looking around I couldn’t find a England David Seaman kit but I did find an Arsenal one so I got that, from this point I went round saying I support England and Arsenal because of David Seaman. I still didn’t follow Arsenal because they was never on my TV because my dad never had them on.

In December 1997 I got ill and went into the Royal Free Hospital I was supposed to be there for three days but my condition got worse and I stayed in over Christmas period I had my first ever major operation on boxing day so it wasn’t the best of Christmases but it was mad better by Arsenal and my Nan, she had been writing to Arsenal about me and they responded, a few weeks later I got the surprise of my life when two Arsenal players came into the hospital, we spent a hour I think just talking about Myself and how Arsenal was doing, I had presents to open from the I got a signed card from all the players a model sculpture of Highbury and Arsenal stationary. The lady who was with the players said to me do you know where that is as she pointed to Highbury I replied no and a bit embarrassed because I felt like I should, She told me that’s where I’m going when I get out of hospital, I just laid in bed with tears down my face, I was so happy I had just been invited not only to my first Arsenal match but my first football match.

From that day I did everything the doctor told me to do just so I could get out of there and go and see Arsenal, before this I went against everything the doctors told me to do because I was scared I wouldn’t have blood test etc. Knowing I had something to get well for it helped me start believing that I would get better, I didn’t know at the time but if I hadn’t of had the operation that boxing day I would have been dead. I finally got out of hospital during February 1998 I had been in hospital for two and a half months, I could go Arsenal strait away but I finally was fit enough to go Arsenal v Sheffield Wednesday on March 28th 1998.

That morning I woke up smiling my Dad, Mum, Sister and Me all went up to Arsenal we went up on the tube early to avoid the crowds I had to walk round to the East stand and when I saw it for the first time I was in shock, I remember seeing a man outside the door dressed up in a uniform I had to knock on those big doors as they opened the lady who came to the hospital was standing the with a man who I had no idea who he was, his name was Ken Friar the chairman of Arsenal he spoke to me about Arsenal and what I would be doing throughout the day, this included meeting the manager and players, having a tour of Highbury and watching the game. The whole day was great Dennis Bergkamp scored the only goal as we won 1-0.

So that’s how my love affair with Arsenal started, I could of ended up supporting West Ham or maybe another club but I’m so happy that Arsenal is my team and I am forever grateful for them coming to see me in hospital and making me so happy. If it wasn’t for Arsenal I may not even be here especially if I had of carried on refusing the treatment needed. I still am in and out of hospital a lot because of my illness but I keep on going.

Last year I had an operation on the 10th July, I had a ticket for Bergkamp’s testimonial but was told I wouldn’t be fit enough to go, I proved everyone wrong and got myself up there just 12 days after my operation there was no way I was going to miss the last game of Bergkamp’s Arsenal Career especially after he scored the first Arsenal goal when I was at a game.

So for me Arsenal helps me though hard times, for some reason during a game I forget about being ill and concentrate on Arsenal and forget about any worries I have so they help me out loads that’s why I love to support them.

So that’s my story, how about you?

:arsenal:

great story,

mine started really on my first day of big school age 11
i didnt really support any one inpaticular i alway just like who was ever winning or top of the leauge
my family were never big footy fans but me and my brother used to play in our garden all the hours god sent smashing my mum prize winning flowers to bits and sliding tackles on the grass,
And when it rained we used get our soft ball and play in the lounge,(sorry mum) :oops:
so when i went to bullsmoor all my mate i met on the first day were massive arsenal fans and that was it i was hooked, we used to go over highbury at least once a month and have the best time ever and ive been loving them ever since all 26 years of them and long will it continue :flag: :flag: :flag:
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Adz » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:35 pm

Good story but shite thread title mate.

I mean no-one should have an excuse to of why they support us.

Worded it wrong imo ;)

Who was the two players who visited you in hospital btw?

Anyway i became a gooner at age when i decided myself... my old man and brother are both leeds fans so me being brought up my dad tried making me support them. Which i did till the age of 5/6 as i didnt choose myself. You know what parents are like. He put a leeds kit on me before i could say daddy.
Adz
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Windass10 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:34 am

Amazing story pal and touching indeed class one thanks for it.
Windass10

Postby Cheese » Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:37 am

Adz wrote:Good story but shite thread title mate.

I know what you mean but its not ment to sound like that :lol:
“What a great day for football, all we need is some green grass and a ball.”
Cheese
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CLS » Wed Oct 03, 2007 2:05 pm

edit it
to say whats your story?
http://www.myspace.com/screema69

"IVE CHANGED MY SIG BUT IN CASE LRL FORGETS I AM
PREDICTION LEAGUE WINNER 2006
GOONER IDOL WINNER 2007
CAPTION COMP WINNER 2007 "
CLS
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Adz » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:05 pm

CLS wrote:edit it
to say whats your story?

Thats what im saying... CLS knows :cool:
Adz
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby REG » Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:29 pm

I'll bore you's with mine tomorrow lol
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:42 pm

Fantastic article, it is amazing to see the gunners having such a positive influence on your life. I am glad that everything has worked out well for you and that your nan didn't write to West Ham instead ( i don't think Ian Bishop and Steve Lomas would have been as inspiring ;) )

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I watched Italian football before English and Inter were the first team i supported. However my Dad was an arsenal fan and the first match i watched with an English team was Arsenal vs Zaragoza. I was gutted they lost and i felt an affinity with them then. Then when Bergkamp went to Arsenal from Inter i started to take more interest in the premiership and i became what i would call a "fan" of arsenal. Then as i started to love Wengers players and style of play and mixed with my hatred of man utd (the first thing i noticed when i started watching the prem was how machiavellian, cheating and pikey man utd were, they are an evil club... i will say no more) i started to lean towards being a supporter. I finally realised how much i loved arsenal when i went absolutely mental after Platts winner against Utd in the 3-2 win. I became a fully fledged arsenal supoorter and never looked back :D (although of course Inter remained my favourite foreign team)
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby SE13 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:26 pm

My reason is fairly easy. My father, a Portsmouth supporter, had a few days off work, and somehow managed to blag an advanced ticket to Middlesex Vs Arsenal for the final game of the 1971 Double season, and a Cup Final ticket. I think it was someone he worked with who couldn't go to either game, so my Dad took the tickets. He was going to take me to The Swamp, but my Mother put her foot down and said that I was not to go. However, she did allow me to be taken to the 71 Cup Final, and as a three year old on my Dads shoulders listening to all the singing, and the general madness, I was hooked. Not a bad first game to attend!

I'm not 100% certain whether it was the 73 season or the 74 season I got my first season ticket, which I held until 1992, in which time I clocked up nearly 1000 games attended. Certainly from 75 onwards, I didn't miss a game home or away, with the exception of the 79 Cup Final and away games in Europe.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby REG » Sat Oct 06, 2007 3:35 pm

I have to give you the cedit once again for being so loyal to Arsenal for years & it's a shame that the era i was born in was towards the end of the North Bank etc etc
I watched Fever Pitch as i said today & looked on thinking if only i was around then, it may of not been the North Bank in that film but with the stories & how good/shit it was it's just something i never grew up with
& with the away games, understand fully on the european games away & it was cheap at the point to go arcoss the country to follow Arsenal unlike now but to get to the point how comes you didn't get to go to the 79 cup final mate?
REG
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:18 pm

To be honest, I cried for hours after the 78 Final, and vowed never to go again. So I didn't in 79. But on the back of the success in 79, and that it was only Wet Spam in 80 I went again, only to be gutted again!

I have been to four FA Cup Finals, three of which we lost, and the fourth (71) I was too young to remember!!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Next

Return to Article zone