Arsenal v Wigan | Premiership 16/04/2012

Re: Arsenal v Wigan | Premiership 16/04/2012

Postby golfinguy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Still haven't found a way to score when the opposition puts 10 behind the ball.... 6 of them in the box. Wigan played it well, backing off most of the time then pressing when the time was right.

First goal was our usual poor defending when losing possession on a corner kick. Second was a bit of hard work by Wigan, and a good bit of luck for them on the bounces - dream start, Martinez probably jizzed in his pants. Chez didn't play either of them particularly well, but not all his fault.

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Need a bit more class in the final third... Theo cannot play in tight spaces and will never get room facing a defense like that, he's a counter attacking player on a team that doesn't get to counter attack (teams pack it back against us, and we don't push fast enough). Benyoun/Gerv, good but not great. We need players who will flat out beat people.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:10 pm

TRA Dial Square wrote:Just a couple of things to point out for us who felt both RvP and Wenger acted "disrespectfully" (even those of us who were there) last night.

1: Wenger actually stuck his hand out, for Martinez to shake, but instead of shaking AW's hand, Roberto insisted in going around his entire staff first; Wenger got tired of being made to wait & walked down the tunnel.

2: Not sure who the CB was that Robin bent the hand back of... But three times the guy stuck his hand out to Robin then pulled it back as RvP went to shake, winding him up...

so apparently it's not just his team who time wastes a ridiculously large amount
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:31 pm

golfinguy wrote:Still haven't found a way to score when the opposition puts 10 behind the ball.... 6 of them in the box. Wigan played it well, backing off most of the time then pressing when the time was right.

Terrible, terrible, terrible. Need a bit more class in the final third... Theo cannot play in tight spaces and will never get room facing a defense like that, he's a counter attacking player on a team that doesn't get to counter attack (teams pack it back against us, and we don't push fast enough). Benyoun/Gerv, good but not great. We need players who will flat out beat people.

+1

To break a team which is defending with ten men behind the ball, you need to have at-least one of the following options.

1] A top quality play-maker who can thread the needle and find that killer pass that opens up opposition defences. After Cesc's departure we have continued to play the same way and with all due respect to Rosicky [i like rosicky] he is no way near as good as Cesc at-least on a consistent basis to deliver that killer final ball.

2] We need to use the full width of the pitch to stretch the opposition defence. Right now they let us have the ball in the wide areas knowing very well that we won't hurt them. The reason being none of our wide players are good crossers of the ball plus we do not play with a target man to get at the end of the crosses. Our full backs keep on crossing aimlessly not even bothering to look if there is anybody in the box.

3] I agree with you that we need players in wide position who can beat players outright. Theo is good when there is space to exploit behind the defence but when a team is sitting back he becomes far too predictable. Gervinho can dribble but wastes crucial time dilly dallying which allows the defenders time to reorganize. Yossi is better than both but he still ain't top notch. AOC is one player who can create across out of nowhere and loves taking the defenders head on. Its a pity Wenger is not giving him enough starts off late. Our wide players forget that they are playing as WF's whose main job is to take on defenders in a direct fashion.

4] RVP is not a target man. He love the ball at his feet and loves that slightly deeper role. When things get stagnant we do not have a quality striker on the bench who is more direct, physical and good in the air. We have Chamakh who is useless to say the least and Park i am not sure why Wenger bought him in first place.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby mg86 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:
golfinguy wrote:Still haven't found a way to score when the opposition puts 10 behind the ball.... 6 of them in the box. Wigan played it well, backing off most of the time then pressing when the time was right.

+1

To break a team which is defending with ten men behind the ball, you need to have at-least one of the following options.

1] A top quality play-maker who can thread the needle and find that killer pass that opens up opposition defences. After Cesc's departure we have continued to play the same way and with all due respect to Rosicky [i like rosicky] he is no way near as good as Cesc at-least on a consistent basis to deliver that killer final ball.

2] We need to use the full width of the pitch to stretch the opposition defence. Right now they let us have the ball in the wide areas knowing very well that we won't hurt them. The reason being none of our wide players are good crossers of the ball plus we do not play with a target man to get at the end of the crosses. Our full backs keep on crossing aimlessly not even bothering to look if there is anybody in the box.

3] I agree with you that we need players in wide position who can beat players outright. Theo is good when there is space to exploit behind the defence but when a team is sitting back he becomes far too predictable. Gervinho can dribble but wastes crucial time dilly dallying which allows the defenders time to reorganize. Yossi is better than both but he still ain't top notch. AOC is one player who can create across out of nowhere and loves taking the defenders head on. Its a pity Wenger is not giving him enough starts off late. Our wide players forget that they are playing as WF's whose main job is to take on defenders in a direct fashion.

4] RVP is not a target man. He love the ball at his feet and loves that slightly deeper role. When things get stagnant we do not have a quality striker who is more direct, physical and good in the air. We have Chamakh who is useless to say the least and Park i am not sure why Wenger bought him in first place.

If we are playing a team that likes to sit back and park the bus, we should play:
Gervinho----Van Persie----Chamberlain

Gervinho and Chamberlain have the trickery and technique to create their own space and create something.

If we are playing a team that is a threat to our half and is playing actual football:
Walcott----Van Persie----Benayoun

Walcott has the pace and in open ended games will make teams pay. Yossi provides the experience and composure needed against challenging attacking teams.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby IMF » Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:45 pm

But what about Chamakh?
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:23 pm

IMF wrote:But what about Chamakh?

:tumbleweed:
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:29 pm

There is only one way to take on a team that parks the bus, you need to play two up top.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:29 pm

PLAYER RATINGS UP
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fran Solo » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:58 am

@TRA Dial Square: It was their captain, Gary Caldwell.
Ok, get ready for next match. Chelsea must be exhausted. So the advantage will be ours. Please, don't blow it.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TRA Dial Square » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:19 am

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
TRA Dial Square wrote:Just a couple of things to point out for us who felt both RvP and Wenger acted "disrespectfully" (even those of us who were there) last night.

1: Wenger actually stuck his hand out, for Martinez to shake, but instead of shaking AW's hand, Roberto insisted in going around his entire staff first; Wenger got tired of being made to wait & walked down the tunnel.

2: Not sure who the CB was that Robin bent the hand back of... But three times the guy stuck his hand out to Robin then pulled it back as RvP went to shake, winding him up...

so apparently it's not just his team who time wastes a ridiculously large amount

:lol:

But it seems that way.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:17 pm

This game is history now. Still avoiding a few people while i am out and about. Anyway move on.....Lets take it out on Chelsea.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Fran Solo » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Arteta's out till the end of season. This is not good. I really want us to beat Chelsea. Not just because I am an Arsenal fans, but mostly because I don't like the way they win lately. How could one of the most expensive team in the world using a bus parking tactic at their own stadium?
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby IMF » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:33 pm

We have to beat Chavs or might not end up in top 4 let alone 3rd

That's what happens when you get complacent.
DEAD-WOOD OUT!!
Show the spoiler
SPEND SOME WONGA WENGA!!!

AND IT'S AAAAAAARSENNNAAAAAAAL!!
AAARRRRSENAAAAL FC
WE'RE BY FAR
THE TIGHTEST COMPANY
THE WORLD HAS EVER SEEN
IMF
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Location: Chigwell, formerly Isle of Dogs, formerly Redbridge

Postby starmandb » Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:07 pm

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
Leody wrote:Ramsey with another f***ing terrible backheel... somebody chop his f***ing heels off so he can't do that anymore.

agreed, I don't think one's come off all season
Sneezy's pulled off more for f**k's sake

its 6 we beat wolves and city
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:27 pm

starmandb wrote:
ThereIsBearCum wrote:
Leody wrote:Ramsey with another f***ing terrible backheel... somebody chop his f***ing heels off so he can't do that anymore.

agreed, I don't think one's come off all season
Sneezy's pulled off more for f**k's sake

its 6 we beat wolves and city

uhhh... what?
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12