Arsenal v Wigan | Premiership 16/04/2012

Re: Arsenal v Wigan | Premiership 16/04/2012

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:07 am

IMF wrote:
gooner_7890 wrote:
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC wrote:Talking of poor performances i thought Walcott was completely hopeless.

Theo was hopeless, but even saying that is an understatement, he was the worst player on the pitch. I cannot believe that he played the full 90 minutes and wasn't the first player to be brought off.

They were all crap last night apart from Rosicky and Vermaelen but Sagna had a hand in both their goals as did Shizzle and Djourou had an assist for their second goal.

Rosicky and Vermaelen had a part in both of their goals
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby ThereIsBearCüm » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 am

This match has convinced me that a new starting XI left back is an absolute must in the off season
Santos was horrendously bad at the back, and seems to be lazy and self interested... his smirk after his appalling shot that he took off the toe of Vermaelen showed his character IMO
Gibbs is injured far too often to be relied upon, and even when he plays isn't exactly a world beater
never mind trophies next season, we'll need a new left back if we're to even finish top 4

I would like to see Taiwo AND Cissokho brought in and Santos moved further up the pitch... the guy can't defend and doesn't even show the desire to
ThereIsBearCüm
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:11 am

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
IMF wrote:
gooner_7890 wrote:
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC wrote:Talking of poor performances i thought Walcott was completely hopeless.

Theo was hopeless, but even saying that is an understatement, he was the worst player on the pitch. I cannot believe that he played the full 90 minutes and wasn't the first player to be brought off.

They were all crap last night apart from Rosicky and Vermaelen but Sagna had a hand in both their goals as did Shizzle and Djourou had an assist for their second goal.

So did Sir Chesney.
You can blame just about everyone for the goals if you want. It's just a case of 'pick your favourite scapegoat'.
Imo the whole team were to blame because they all bombed forward on the attack within the first ten minutes of the game as if they were 1-0 down in a cup final with five minutes to go.
We left ourselves totally exposed by trying to win the game in the first ten minutes, it was madness.

Whoever you want to blame the goals on, Rosicky and TV5 were the two best players on the pitch, or should I say the two 'least shit'.

Most fans agree with me on that: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -your-motm
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 am

No player should take the blame. It was a collective awful performance.
Anyway, I really worry about Arteta's injury. We always look fragile without him. Ok, we can play Koscielny against Chelsea, but can our midfield handle Lampard and co?
And the fact that he was badly injured without any meaningful challenge at all makes me really upset. Reminds me of Mertesacker and Coquelin. Why things like this happen so often?
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:16 am

ThereIsBearCum wrote:
IMF wrote:
gooner_7890 wrote:

Vermealen did very little to contribute to those calamity goals except for being on the pitch. First, he's a CB, he's up for the corner. It's the full back's and wingers job to defend then and they f***ked it up spectacularly. Second, Sagna, Djourou & Chez did all in their power to concede, TV had no real part in it

The only mistake he made all game was when they almost scored a third after he got sucked into midfield (a bad habit of his) when they took a throw and we left the back door wide open
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 am

CynicalGooner wrote:The only mistake he made all game was when they almost scored a third after he got sucked into midfield (a bad habit of his) when they took a throw and we left the back door wide open

By the way, did anyone notice that moment near the end of the game when TV5 ran up the pitch and Song shouted at him to get back, he refused and seemed to gesture that Song should be doing it instead?
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am

About handshakes:
RvP did not want Caldwell's handshake. He has already made his point clearly in the match against Newcastle that he hates time wasting. He hates it badly. So, no handshake for Caldwell, just like what de did to Krul.
Wenger actually came to Martinez, but he was celebrating with his staffs too long. Martinez opted to shake hands with his staffs first and kept Wenger waiting. Wenger did wait for him for a while before eventually left.

And for his credit he did not blame anyone for this lost.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby CynicalGooner » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:39 am

Didn't see it but doesn't surprise me. He does it all the time, almost like another striker with nobody covering. Especially if we are losing. In a way you cant blame him, he's the only other proven goalscorer in the whole squad

As for Song, I'd rather he never got any further forward than the centre circle. We should get the club psychologist to put the fear of god into him the closer he gets to the opposition's goal
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Fran Solo » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:48 am

I don't want to give any opinion about RvP's habit. Some will say it is ok, some will say it is not ok.
Song is good going forward, but I don't think yesterday was a right time for him to do that to often. Our defender were shaky and no Arteta to cover him. On any other time I would love to see him going forward.
Fran Solo
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TRA Dial Square » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:40 am

Vermaelen/Ros definitely our two best players. Even RvP had a shit game... However it must have looked different on TV cos Yossi didn't have a bad game, whatsoever, almost scored two goals, won pretty much every one of his tussles and was creative down the left flank.

CynicalGooner wrote:Vermealen did very little to contribute to those calamity goals except for being on the pitch. First, he's a CB, he's up for the corner. It's the full back's and wingers job to defend then and they f***ked it up spectacularly. Second, Sagna, Djourou & Chez did all in their power to concede, TV had no real part in it

Not sure what you saw but as I said earlier... I was right on the goal line and confusion between JD/Vermaelen is practically what cost us the second goal.

However having said that, JD was definitely more to blame and tbf Vermaelen was pretty much the only defender left back for 85% of the game. Just making the point he did contribute to one of their goals.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:44 am

Inchpractice wrote:
ThereIsBearCum wrote:
IMF wrote:
gooner_7890 wrote:

So did Sir Chesney.
You can blame just about everyone for the goals if you want. It's just a case of 'pick your favourite scapegoat'.
Imo the whole team were to blame because they all bombed forward on the attack within the first ten minutes of the game as if they were 1-0 down in a cup final with five minutes to go.
We left ourselves totally exposed by trying to win the game in the first ten minutes, it was madness.

Whoever you want to blame the goals on, Rosicky and TV5 were the two best players on the pitch, or should I say the two 'least shit'.

Most fans agree with me on that: http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... -your-motm

Good post Inch.

In fact if you take out Djourou's lunacy for the second goal he did a good job as well.

Individual errors did catch us out but our midfield was clearly disjointed and our defence woke up only after conceding two.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby TRA Dial Square » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:46 am

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:In fact if you take out Djourou's lunacy for the second goal he did a good job as well.

Exactly as I said when I got home last night...

TRA Dial Square wrote:Also seen people ragging on JD... Besides the second goal, honestly? He was extremely good (in person)
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:53 am

There is Xabi Alonso who has great vision, finds those long range diagonal passes with ease yet is so disciplined. He forms the spine of RM's midfield. If there is one player Mourinho wants in every game its Xabi Alonso. The problem with Song is he gets the balance between defending and attacking totally wrong. Football is a game of compromise. How much are you willing to compromise your defensive cover for getting forward. Its hilarious song is getting more and more ambitious going forward and defensively negligent with every passing game. With him venturing forward at the slightest invitation puts the whole shape of the midfield out of order. this is where i feel Wenger must sit down With Song and clearly instill in his mind that whatever position you play in you have defensive responsibilities and especially as a DM, he ought to be more cautious before venturing forward.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:20 pm

For me personally losing to Wigan is probably the worst. Today EVERYBODY is taking the piss. It will get even worse when i meet up with my mates. You would think they had won more than the 3 points the way they are going on.
I want Carl Jenkinson back in a Arsenal shirt next season.
EvAMY-CRAIGLEEAFC
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby TRA Dial Square » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:38 pm

Just a couple of things to point out for us who felt both RvP and Wenger acted "disrespectfully" (even those of us who were there) last night.

1: Wenger actually stuck his hand out, for Martinez to shake, but instead of shaking AW's hand, Roberto insisted in going around his entire staff first; Wenger got tired of being made to wait & walked down the tunnel.

2: Not sure who the CB was that Robin bent the hand back of... But three times the guy stuck his hand out to Robin then pulled it back as RvP went to shake, winding him up...
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12