Arsenal Vs Blackburn |Premiership 04/02/2012

Re: Arsenal Vs Blackburn |Premiership 04/02/2012

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:01 pm

ChVint22 wrote:That is the last thing we need, trying to get the ball to Henry. No, no, no, let the play flow, don't just always look for Henry, that was part of our problem the last season he was here, and I noticed they were trying to do that too much in the Leeds game. I get it if its the end of the game and we're up by 5, but I hope they don't always try that when he comes on.

I don't have a problem with it.
Let's face it, he's the only person on the pitch who can actually finish these days apart from RVP, and if RVP hasn't scored yet he won't be passing to Henry.
If Henry is on the pitch that means that the Ox has been taken off so as I said, only two people left who can actually finish a chance.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:03 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:That is the last thing we need, trying to get the ball to Henry. No, no, no, let the play flow, don't just always look for Henry, that was part of our problem the last season he was here, and I noticed they were trying to do that too much in the Leeds game. I get it if its the end of the game and we're up by 5, but I hope they don't always try that when he comes on.

Let's face it, he's the only person on the pitch who can actually finish these days apart from RVP, and if RVP hasn't scored yet he won't be passing to Henry.
If Henry is on the pitch that means that the Ox has been taken off so as I said, only two people left who can actually finish a chance.

Totally disagree, and that is a horrible attitude to have as a team. "hey since we don't have any other finishers, lets just go out of our way to make sure we get it to the players that can". Horrible idea.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:10 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

Totally disagree, and that is a horrible attitude to have as a team. "hey since we don't have any other finishers, lets just go out of our way to make sure we get it to the players that can". Horrible idea.

It's a sad state of affairs that we got into this mess in the first place I agree, but do you want to win the game or not?

Case in point, the Leeds game. We huffed and puffed and wasted our chances for 80 minutes, we were heading for a replay and then Henry comes on and wins the game with the first real chance we create.
It's what he does. Why not make the most of it?
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Swan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:22 pm

i think you are looking to far into it, i think when he said he was looking for henry all the time was because it is most likely his last home game for us and just wanted him to go out with a bang.. we were up by a ton of goals so it it's not that big of a deal, but if we weren't i'm sure RVP wouldn't squander good chances to just try and get the ball to henry..
Swan
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby StLGooner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:26 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

It's a sad state of affairs that we got into this mess in the first place I agree, but do you want to win the game or not?

Case in point, the Leeds game. We huffed and puffed and wasted our chances for 80 minutes, we were heading for a replay and then Henry comes on and wins the game with the first real chance we create.
It's what he does. Why not make the most of it?

Going out of your way to try to get a couple of people the ball is not the way to play the game, you know that, I know that, and everyone that has a speck of football intelligence knows that. And just cause it worked once doesn't mean it will all the time. Pass to who is open, it may very well still end up at the feet of the player you'd like, just don't go out of your way to feed just one person the ball. I understand that in this case we were up by a good margin and it didn't matter much, but we saw first hand in Henry's last season, how he demanded the ball alot and Cesc was even on record saying that he felt obligated to get the ball to Henry all the time, we don't want our players feeling or thinking that about anyone.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:29 pm

We were 6-1 up FFS!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:42 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:We were 6-1 up FFS!

I'm not just talking about that game FFS!! :rolleyes:
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Dejan » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:46 pm

FFS
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Arsenal Tone » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:46 pm

lol
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:04 pm

ChVint22 wrote:Going out of your way to try to get a couple of people the ball is not the way to play the game, you know that, I know that, and everyone that has a speck of football intelligence knows that.

It's not the ideal scenario no, it's not the game plan, it's not in the manager's team talk, it's not the Arsenal way, it's not Wenger's philosophy but if it wins us a game where's the problem?
Plenty of players that played with Zidane used to say that when they ran out of ideas they just gave the ball to him because they knew he could create something out of nothing. Very often he did.
If you have a player with outstanding talent why not make the most of it?
As I said it's not Plan A, it's Plan B. It's a last resort.

Some teams resort to hoofing long balls up to a massive target man when their Plan A isn't working and other teams do other things.
Having a player like Henry as your Plan B is nothing to be ashamed of imo.

Yes I know that in the past people got into the bad habit of giving him the ball all the time but we're in a totally different era of the club now.
Cesc has gone, Hleb has gone, all those players who used to do that have gone and we're left with mediocre players who can't finish for toffee, like Aaron f***ing Ramsey.
We're so thin on the striking front that we have to loan an ex-player who's only fit for the MLS :sneaky: but since we're taking him and since he's the best finisher that this club has ever produced why not let him finish?

Anyway, RVP was probably only doing it for sentimental reasons and because the game was well won.
If Henry started the game and we were struggling he's not going to do that all game.
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Swan wrote:i think you are looking to far into it, i think when he said he was looking for henry all the time was because it is most likely his last home game for us and just wanted him to go out with a bang.. we were up by a ton of goals so it it's not that big of a deal, but if we weren't i'm sure RVP wouldn't squander good chances to just try and get the ball to henry..

Correct.

I cant see RvP doing that with the scores at 0-0.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:16 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:Going out of your way to try to get a couple of people the ball is not the way to play the game, you know that, I know that, and everyone that has a speck of football intelligence knows that.

It's not the ideal scenario no, it's not the game plan, it's not in the manager's team talk, it's not the Arsenal way, it's not Wenger's philosophy but if it wins us a game where's the problem?
Plenty of players that played with Zidane used to say that when they ran out of ideas they just gave the ball to him because they knew he could create something out of nothing. Very often he did.
If you have a player with outstanding talent why not make the most of it?
As I said it's not Plan A, it's Plan B. It's a last resort.

Some teams resort to hoofing long balls up to a massive target man when their Plan A isn't working and other teams do other things.
Having a player like Henry as your Plan B is nothing to be ashamed of imo.

Yes I know that in the past people got into the bad habit of giving him the ball all the time but we're in a totally different era of the club now.
Cesc has gone, Hleb has gone, all those players who used to do that have gone and we're left with mediocre players who can't finish for toffee, like Aaron f***ing Ramsey.
We're so thin on the striking front that we have to loan an ex-player who's only fit for the MLS :sneaky: but since we're taking him and since he's the best finisher that this club has ever produced why not let him finish?

Anyway, RVP was probably only doing it for sentimental reasons and because the game was well won.
If Henry started the game and we were struggling he's not going to do that all game.

We shall see, so far, every time he has came on, I can count multiple times where at least one player went out of their way to try and get him the ball. We'll see if they keep doing it. You pretty much agreed with what I was saying anyway, which I knew deep down you did. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Est83 » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 pm

FFS!!!!

:hiding:

Passing to Henry just because it's Henry was our gameplan during his last season.... and it's a f**king shite tactic to use! Over uses him, it's rpedictable, and just perpetuates the whole inferiority complex that the youngsters have.

BUT FEAR NOT!!! It'll literally never happen again... unfortunately. And I say unfortunately beause it's only ever likely to happen again if we're a few goals up and we can afford to bring Henry on out of courtesy and ignore another 3 wide open runs from better placed players. I'd love to be four goals up against Sunderland and see the great man come on and recieve every pass, unfortunately it's probably going to be a much tighter game than that.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby StLGooner » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:51 pm

Thanks Est, that first paragraph is all I'm trying to say, which I think most would agree with.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12