Arsenal Vs Aston Villa | FA Cup R4 29/01/2012

Re: Arsenal Vs Aston Villa | FA Cup R4 29/01/2012

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:09 pm

My considered review of the game is thus

The defence was pants. Coquelin, Mertesacker and Koscielny were all over the place. They didn't really target our left side much so Vermaelen didn't have much to do, but he was decent going forward. Chambo was lively and was just a percentage or two from having a really effective game, but not quite. Walcott was as usual awful but won us the game by accident. Flappy was a clown again, scares the defence, scares the crowd. The midfield was really poor in the first half, improved in the second. I thought Ramsey stepped up his game a lot but he still can't shoot to save his life, it's like his legs turn to jelly anywhere near the box.

It was a bit of a let off but all the horrible luck we've had recently we have more than earned it
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:10 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
starmandb wrote:
Yorkyblue wrote:To be honest, it may of sold out even though there seemed a lot of empty seats. People buy tickets for cup games and don't go for various reasons. Just for the loyalty points etc.

Arsenal shouldn't of announced the high attendance though, I thought all clubs played the game there where you give out a lower attendance for cup games so you don't have to share all the gate receipts. ;0

we don,t have any loyalty points on home games.
your loyalty point is your season ticket

You get cup games on your season ticket? Not a cup scheme or anything?

yes mate we get the fa cup on our season ticket
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Arsenal Vs Aston Villa | FA Cup R4 29/01/2012

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:25 pm

I must admit i really enjoyed that game today. Was brilliant to watch and a great result!

I wasn't expecting sagna to get playing time, ox really is like a new signing and there are loads of positives. Having ox around seems to have encouraged theo to run at people again and it was good having pace on both flanks.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby gooner_7890 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:50 pm

I have to admit, i wrote us off at half-time but credit to the players for an excellent comeback.

Our second half performance was very good, we played with more intensity and purpose which put Villa on the back foot and caused them to self-destruct.

Overall, i'm very happy we're through to the fifth round but still concerned that a poor team like Villa can take a two goal lead against us at home.
gooner_7890
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby golfinguy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:05 pm

Yes, the feeling at half time was pretty glum. Both of our weaknesses exposed - set pieces and counter attacks.

Credit to Wenger for not changing a thing other than our spirit. I'm quite sure all the armchair 'football managers' were calling for changes.

The second half was fun to watch. It had me performing armchair aerobics (sit back, edge of seat, jump up, back down, jump up, edge of seat, etc.) and occasionally alerting my neighbor's dogs with a yell (even with the windows closed).
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby golfinguy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:11 pm

GunnGunn wrote:Did he say Wenger was the one who wasn't spending the money?

He danced around the question for a while with talk about football economics, but in the end - any funds available are there for Wenger to use. He says Wenger always looks long term when making a signing, and considers how the player would fit into the team. 'We cannot spend 50M+ on a player and will continue to manufacture stars rather than buy them' (paraphrased).
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zedie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:16 pm

Yorkyblue wrote:
Maxduke wrote:When did people think Koscielny should have been sent off, I can't remember him doing anything too bad?

I remember when Bent turned him or whatever on the halfway line and he pulled him down but didn't you have Mertesacker back there so he wouldn't have been through on g... Actually yeah, he was through on goal.

Booted the ball back in his face. Looked really intentional as well.

It hit his back, although that doesnt make much difference, because its still unsportsmanlike conduct. Kos got very lucky.

Im assuming that the ref didnt want to send anyone off seeing as he gave Dunne a free pass for the first penalty. He should have been in the showers straight away for that challenge.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:17 pm

gooner_7890 wrote:I have to admit, i wrote us off at half-time but credit to the players for an excellent comeback.

Our second half performance was very good, we played with more intensity and purpose which put Villa on the back foot and caused them to self-destruct.

Overall, i'm very happy we're through to the fifth round but still concerned that a poor team like Villa can take a two goal lead against us at home.

This.

I really couldnt see a way back after that second goal went in apart from devine intervention.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby cescpistol » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Fabianski still getting a game for Arsenal is a good enough reason alone to give Arsene his P45.
cescpistol
Michael Thomas

Postby Dejan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:49 pm

starmandb wrote:
Dejan wrote:stadium looks a bit empty.

where were you.?
sold out

Knew that was coming. Far too predictable.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:19 am

starmandb wrote:
VCC wrote:
starmandb wrote:
dunkdafunk wrote:i was seriously considering switching the game off!

yes must have been terrible for you.
that agonising walk across your living room

Go easy Starmanb some of us dont have the ability to go to games and some times it is difficult enough to get streams or listen to a radio broadcast,in some countrys as mine these games just are not shown.

i understand that mate,so why would anybody turn the game off then?

well i certainly wouldnt turn a game off even sat through the loss to manure early in the season,Although i do find it hard to listen to AW spin when we see clips of press statements here,they do tend to get the heckles and what used to be ocasionly has become almost every time i hear him,Sadly that has what has become of my relationship with our clubs manager as great as he was.we are on our way to wembly or a step closer anyway.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby SE13 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:33 am

Phew! That is all.

Must have been a good talk at half time though.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Zenith » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:10 am

VCC wrote:Go easy Starmanb some of us dont have the ability to go to games and some times it is difficult enough to get streams or listen to a radio broadcast,in some countrys as mine these games just are not shown.

In the future, just pm me if you need a stream I'll provide a few for you. ;)
Zenith
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Location: Across the North Sea, 200-something miles away from The Grove

Postby VCC » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:04 am

Zenith wrote:
VCC wrote:Go easy Starmanb some of us dont have the ability to go to games and some times it is difficult enough to get streams or listen to a radio broadcast,in some countrys as mine these games just are not shown.

In the future, just pm me if you need a stream I'll provide a few for you. ;)

cool as i like that alot thanks.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:37 am

When City were losing 3-0 in the FA Cup away to Spurs at half time (and down to 10 men cos Barton got sent off for arguing at half time), I heard it was Robbie Fowler who did the talk at half time and we came back to win 4-3. Keegan just asked where the job centre was. :lol:

I can see something similar with Henry yesterday. :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Falas ... 3_-_City_4

I'm pleased for you yesterday. It was one of those games that makes the FA Cup the greatest domestic cup in the world.
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12