Arsenal Vs Borussia Dortmund | Champions League 23/11/2011

Re: Arsenal Vs Borussia Dortmund | Champions League 23/11/20

Postby friedslice » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:46 am

It's no surprises the comments you've come up with regards to Gervinho, you seem to find reasons to criticise him but overall Gervinho is a class player and the LEAST of our worries.
He has been FAR FAR superior to Walcott overall this season playing in the same position.

With regards to this result, it was just another carbon copy of most of our wins this season, plenty of possession but lacking the extra bit of class to put a team away. overeliance on RVP, Theo being relatively ineffective, Song showing glimpses of wonder mixed with generous serves of uselessness, Arteta and Ramsey again relatively annonymous and we conceded the routine defensive lapse goal.

I've had the same analysis for probably 6 of our last 8 wins.

We've scraped it against average opposition in a lot of games lately throwing in an uninspiring albeit consistent set of performances. If RVP breaks we're up shit creek.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:31 am

friedslice wrote:It's no surprises the comments you've come up with regards to Gervinho, you seem to find reasons to criticise him but overall Gervinho is a class player and the LEAST of our worries.
He has been FAR FAR superior to Walcott overall this season playing in the same position.

Are u sure . Walcott has been on fire off late . He was the man of the match in the last game against Norwich
for me.How was Gervinho's performance against Norwich? Did u notice Theo's delivery yesterday ? That ball
towards the end of first half where he crossed it right in between the last man and the keeper , with RVP
almost getting to the end of it .

He was much better than Gervinho yesterday . If u read my post completely you will see i have said

Arsenal~Fanatic wrote:. He has forged a brilliant understanding with RVP and his link up play is great . He has good pace and movement but i am afraid all comes to nothing especially when you are employed in a position where you are
expected to chip in with goals . I think he needs to work a lot harder on his technique and confidence will follow .

So i am acknowledging Gervinho's performances but as you could see not just this game he has been pretty
wasteful in front of the goal this season. Did u watch the last game and how many shots he sent in to orbit .
When u play as a wide-forward you are expected to contribute to scoring , its a different story if he was
playing as a wide player in a 4-4-2 where the onus on scoring would not be so much.Theo has been in great
nick and i do not think Gervinho has been far far better than Walcott as u suggest.

P.S: Is there anything wrong in asking a player to improve? Even you would agree he has to improve in one and
one situation, so where is the question of my personal agenda against him . Gervinho has many many pluses
he is very much suited to our style , can dribble , has pace , but he definitely has to improve his productivity
in front of the goal .
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:47 am

friedslice wrote:It's no surprises the comments you've come up with regards to Gervinho, you seem to find reasons to criticise him but overall Gervinho is a class player and the LEAST of our worries.

With regards to this result, it was just another carbon copy of most of our wins this season, plenty of possession but lacking the extra bit of class to put a team away. overeliance on RVP, Theo being relatively ineffective, Song showing glimpses of wonder mixed with generous serves of uselessness, Arteta and Ramsey again relatively annonymous and we conceded the routine defensive lapse goal.

We've scraped it against average opposition in a lot of games lately throwing in an uninspiring albeit consistent set of performances. If RVP breaks we're up shit creek.

This is quite possibly the worst review of a game that I've ever read. It couldn't be more inaccurate.
Obviously you didn't watch the game so why pretend you did? Beats me.

:dontknow:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Nov 24, 2011 9:50 am

Git wrote:Sven Bender broke his jaw walking into The Verminator.

f**k me.

Yeah and Goatsy had to go off after walking into a brick wall a.k.a Song.
Literally that is all that happened. Just walked into him.

:grin:
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Git » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:40 am

Yeah, I saw the replay and thought, ''Okay, that's nice, where's the actual clip of him picking up the injury''? Turns out Song is the descendant of an Inglorious Basterd.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:13 am

SammyGunner11 wrote:
Can't believe we've qualified top of our group and this is, imo, the second toughest group after City's

I don't think you would of got through if you had AC Milan and Barca in it (although seeds wouldn't allow you in a group like that). I think Chelsea's is harder as well.

We're likely to get another tough group next year, it's going to be tough until we get our points up to be seeded. At the start I was hoping for Milan, Barca and I think Dortmund (can't remember the seeds 100%, it was deffo Millan and Barca though cos they came out and I thought we were getting the dream group!)
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Yorkyblue » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:16 am

I agree with that but you're not allowed to say anything wrong or you're on the wind up. ;)
Yorkyblue
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:36 am

We might have had a disjointed pattern to our first half performance but we were fantastic in the
second half ,we were fluid , created chances, took them ,we were organized at the back , and that late
goal was because of an individual error of Song /Djorou .On a day when the two Manchester Clubs are on
the brink of elimination , people simply have to take digs for no reason . I thought the game is played for
90 minutes and it is the overall performance matters . I do agree it was a game of two halves with us
lacking our usual sharpness /fluidity in the passing department but we were back to our usual self ,
playing fluently and managing to have a lion share of possession in the second half . Nobody gave Arsenal
football a chance to qualify against Udinese in the qualifiers forget qualifying to knockout stages as the
first English club . Its not fair on the lads who put in a shift yesterday to say it was the same old
same old..
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby ivan itchybum » Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:40 am

what the f**k are you smoking? you're right about the gervinho part. but song was brilliant as was ramsey. I really don't see where your pulling that review out of :dontknow:
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Dejan » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:03 pm

Starman, when is the last time we lost at home in the champions league?
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Git » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:11 pm

I think it was that match against United in the semi/quarter finals.

2008/2009? I NEED YOU STARMAN.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Popey » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:03 pm

gervi was really wastful in front of the goal yesterday. but that's normal! he doesn't look good since the beginning of the season if front of the goal. I mean, if you consider how many chances het gets he scores not enough goals. but nasri was like that too. hope he will improve in front of the goal.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:47 pm

Popey wrote:gervi was really wastful in front of the goal yesterday. but that's normal! he doesn't look good since the beginning of the season if front of the goal. I mean, if you consider how many chances het gets he scores not enough goals. but nasri was like that too. hope he will improve in front of the goal.

The only thing lacking in his game is his productivity in front of the goal . Once he improves his
productivity he will be some player i tell you..He has pace to burn , can dribble but looses his
composure in front of the goal . As i have said earlier , its not just confidence , he lacks the
technique to curl the ball around the keeper and to keep the ball down from a distance with pace.
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:51 pm

Nasri did not in anyway, shape or form get in the same scoring positions as often as Gervinho does, he is not a midfielder playing on the wing, he is a forward playing on the wing, I expect goals out of him and we are not getting them, he is too busy dancing around keepers and losing it then keeping a cool, massive forehead and burying it.

But you can't deny that Gervinho has added something special to our front line this season, that's what happens when you buy a proper forward, rather than play a midfielder there.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CynicalGooner » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:54 pm

It's only his finishing holding him back from being a great player. It's amazing how bad his end product has been so far
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12