Arsenal Vs Marseille | Champions League 01/11/2011

Re: Arsenal Vs Marseille | Champions League 01/11/2011

Postby Git » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:02 am

Santos dives in at the ground far too much for my liking.

It would be alright if he won more of them but it's probably around 50% he wins, the other times he's on the floor and too fat to get back into position quick enough.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:03 am

Git wrote:Santos dives in at the ground far too much for my liking.

It would be alright if he won more of them but it's probably around 50% he wins, the other times he's on the floor and too fat to get back into position quick enough.

He also gets caught upfield far too often. I hadn't really noticed it until now but I actually think he gets forward a little too much.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:26 am

Just finished watching a recording of the game, and it didn't really look like anyone wanted it tbh.
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby VCC » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:32 am

For me i am resigned to think we will never have a great defence from here until AW leaves,we will continue to play a they score three we sore four attitude,problem for me is where are these goals going to come from?.AW stated today it was a gamble not to play RVP if that is so why is the man still managing,if we rely on one man so much and couple the injury record of that man,that one statement shows he is incompetant of his job,we have had a resurgence in the league but today showed how poor we can be having said that we have a draw.I cant wait for the January window and see just how ambitious AW and Arsenal football club are.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby friedslice » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:27 am

VCC wrote:For me i am resigned to think we will never have a great defence from here until AW leaves,we will continue to play a they score three we sore four attitude,problem for me is where are these goals going to come from?.AW stated today it was a gamble not to play RVP if that is so why is the man still managing,if we rely on one man so much and couple the injury record of that man,that one statement shows he is incompetant of his job,we have had a resurgence in the league but today showed how poor we can be having said that we have a draw.I cant wait for the January window and see just how ambitious AW and Arsenal football club are.

January could save our season, a quality AM and ST and we'd be back in contention in the premiership, favourites for top 4 at least. But as you said we're gambling everything on RVP, if he gets injured our season could come crashing down. If Wenger doesn't add someone of quality to support him in January he would be commiting mal-practice...yet again. Just as he did with the GK situation that he refused to fix for years (he's puerly gotten lucky that we uncovered a rare young gem otherwise we'd still be leaking goals from keeping errors), he's also refused to sort the defence, particularly at set pieces, for years now. 51% of last seasons goals came from set pieces, why on earth has he not had the team drilling this more than anything over the summer!! And still, well into this season we look like - and often do - conceding at every set piece. Again, more malpractice.
He's obsessed with his kids and midgit midfielders playing wenger-ball whilst neglecting any squad depth, covering of important positions or anything to do with defence.

Today was just the same old problems; defenders not holding the same line, wing backs out of position and no organisation at set pieces. then all the possession and pretty football but lacking that quality final ball we used to be guaranteed from Pires, Vieira, Bergy etc. Our defence looks like getting torn apart with any half speedy attack and our own attack is blunted with having very few world class players in it. 2 NEED to be brought in to help Gervinho and RVP who seem to be doing it all at the moment.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby friedslice » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:30 am

Git wrote:Santos dives in at the ground far too much for my liking.

he drifts out of position an awful lot too, and doesn't track his man. at least 3 times today i saw him move a long way inside to close down the central midfielder for some reason, and was then easily passed past to their then vacant winger with acres to run in. He also takes ages to track back if he's gone forward so we're more susceptable to the counter with our flanks often wide open.
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby friedslice » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:41 am

ARSHENAL wrote:Would have been soooo nice to qualify tonight so we could start resting our key players in less risky situations but ho hum. 4 points off Marseilles is pretty good at the end of the day, just hope tonight was a hangover fromChesea and we start playing with more authority again at the weekend.

To be fair I don't think it's a hangover, we've been average most of this season, our wins against Stoke, Sunderland and Swansea were all poor performances, Chelsea looked like destroying us at one point before their own leaky bucket collapsed in a heap. We're still seeing the same problems that better clubs will expose. There was no intensity tonight and we never looked like conceding, but this team is prone to being very ordinary and a good side probably would have punished us tonight (most likely from a set piece).

Quality players create a spark, at the moment there's not enough of those playing regularly for us. I don't think tonight was any different to pretty much any game we've played this season, plenty of possession with little end product and an easily exposable defence. We can beat anyone on our day but at the same time lose to anyone. Hopefully we can keep scrapping points until our team finally clicks and the defence has had enough time to work on defending (which I'm praying they're spending a SHIT LOAD of time on), once that's sorted we'll start to see the emergence of a good side, which should then be greatly strengthened in January. :arsenal3:
friedslice
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby AFC10 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:44 am

Don't really know what to make of this. Fell asleep from the 10th minute until half time but sounds like a i didn't miss a lot then. A very blunt, average performance at best with a decent point to take away at least although we really should be looking to qualify when we can!

Only good outcome of this was the fact we kept a clean sheet and Verms in looking really good! Other than that it was just a mess. None of them looked the same players we saw against Chelsea, especially Gervinho! He either has a shocker of a game or he's really good and last night.. he was bad. He looks so weak running at players sometimes, never convinced he'll actually beat them which annoys me so much then if there's a better option on, he wont take it! Maybe im being a bit harsh on him and does need a bit more time to settle in but he's frustrating to watch at times, Wenger needs to sort this out or get Chambo in!
AFC10
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Git » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:16 am

Think Vermaelen and Song were our best players on the night. Song was everywhere.
MML
Git
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:48 am

We were superb defensively but toothless in attack, AW needs to find the right balance because it always seems when we have good defensive games that we never look like scoring but when we always look like scoring we are just as likely to concede ourselves.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby The Goats Horn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:51 am

Missed this because of work commitments....

Watched the highlights this morning,looked like a fairly poor game.I won't go into individual performances because that wouldn't be fair not seeing the whole game but as for the overall picture,Its a poor result.We had the chance to put the group to bed and qualify for the next round with the last two games as nothing ties but now we have it all to do.Olympiakos away will be a very tough game,I was impressed with them at the Emirates and they were unlucky not to come away with a point.

All four teams now have something to play for,this could be potentially very dangerous for us.Wenger must have been thinking about resting his players in the final two games but can ill afford to do that now.If we send a weakened side out to Greece and come away with nothing,It makes the last home tie against Dortmund do or die.

Every season Wenger seems to do this,we get ourselves in a strong position after the first four games and finish second because of weakened sides in the final two ties.
The Goats Horn
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:57 am

We simply cannot afford to finish second because we WILL get Barca and it will not be funny getting them for the third time in as many years.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby The Goats Horn » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:10 am

GunnGunn wrote:We simply cannot afford to finish second because we WILL get Barca and it will not be funny getting them for the third time in as many years.

Yeah,I can see us getting them too :(

It would be nice to top the group and get a handy draw for a change
The Goats Horn
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:34 am

To be fair guys, Marseille are very good at stifling teams, they're solid defensively and allowed us no time on the ball.
It's not a coincidence that we couldn't play our flowing attacking football at home or away against them. In two legs we only managed one goal, that says it all. You have to credit Marseille for that.

Just be grateful that we've kept two clean sheets against them.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby StLGooner » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:12 pm

Could have used RvP the whole game, exact reason why I didn't want AW to rest him. We showed skill and class when he came on, and the chances of anyone scoring if he had been started I think would have been far greater.

On another note, Santos thinks he's the LB version of Alves, but without the stamina and skill. Plus he's is just lazy and gives up on alot of plays.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12