Marseille Vs Arsenal | Champions League 19/10/2011

Re: Marseille Vs Arsenal | Champions League 19/10/2011

Postby Forest » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:15 am

On another note i was happy to see Jenkinson give it his all, time and time again he got injured but soldiered on for cause until injuries got too much.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby whee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:26 am

He was quality last night, young Jenkinson.

He might not be blessed with the techincal abilities of a lot of great right backs - but the boy has got serious heart, and he plays for the shirt.

It's nice to see Walcott do his defensive duties when jenks is at the back too, which begs the question why don't we see that every week? It can't be because Sagna copes admirably without it, because he blatantly doesn't.

Jenkinson was getting forward at every opportunity and showed a good variety of composed touches and passes.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:02 pm

friedslice wrote:A solid win but the lack of class in the midfield stands out a mile and we'd have dropped more points in the premiership. there's nothing coming from our midfield this season, and i wonder why, Wilshere, Nasri and Fabregas out of the side and no proper replacements :rolleyes:

Starting Theo and Arshavin with RVP on his own is basically playing with 9 men (RVP left isolated).

friedslice wrote:What winds me up is our attacking tactics - as well as the defense - has gone to pot the past 5 years. It's like wenger only trains 2 touch mini football with possession the key to victory over goals scored. More than ever we seem to play sideways passes with no end product.
Re-watching the match as i speak, 54th minute we broke free through an empty midfield, Arteta released Jenkinson to run through the middle and he had theo in acres of space on the shoulder of the defenders just screaming for a through ball with a massive gap in the defence in which to play it and instead he held it up and got tackled.
Once upon a time Pires, Ljungberg etc would have thred that ball without needing to think about it and Henry would have been in on goal putting us 1 up. That was our major source of goals (defence splitting through balls) but even when they're available to play this current team choose a side ways pass. It's slow, it's aimless and it's the same old story with this current side.
The woeful defending masks the fact our attack is impotent.

I'm now 60 minutes into the 2nd time watching this match and I still don't think I've seen Theo touch the ball...please f**k OFF YOU USELESS ****.

friedslice wrote:
Est83 wrote:Missed the game as I was at work... can anyone give me a short summary?

Sideways pass, sideways pass, sideways pass, pressure from defence, backwards pass....sideways pass, sideways pass, cross to noone.
Walcott and Arshavin annonymous throughout, Rosicky's passing poor, RVP isloated upfront and a general overall lack of creativity, innovation or intensity.

it was a battling performance and good 3 points, a fighting, defensive effort, but mostly the same old thing, in the premiership it'd have been more dropped points.

watching it again now it's just making me angry just how shit theo and arshavin are (as we're attacking and arshavin misses controls a simple ball inside the box to go out for a goal kick).

friedslice wrote:AHHH It's enfuriating the number of times we had their defence stretched on such a big pitch but the final ball or touch that would have taken us through clear on goal was lacking every time. I guess that's to be expected when you lose 3 top class midfielders from the team but the lack of quality showed. Arshavin has either given it away or miscontrolled it breaking up several attacks, jenkinson missed that superb passing opportunity to theo, RVP just messed up his control when a simple control and pass would have had the overlapping Gervinho through on goal and Theo when actually getting the ball one on one with the keeper miss controls it and falls over AS USUAL.

So frustrating, just glad i know we scored....in the end :lipssealed:

I think you're being a bit hard on the team.
It's not for me to tell you how to feel but on balance you should be pleased with that result.
We played away from home (a few days after giving 110% against Sunderland) and came up against a quality side that thumped German champions Dortmund 3-0 when we could only manage 1-1 against them.

We went into the game as underdogs, all the bookies made them favourites, partly because they haven't yet conceded a CL goal, and yet we came out with all the points.
Every gooner that I spoke to would've been happy with a draw before the game and yet we won it. Massive bonus.

Ok so it wasn't sexy football all the way, we didn't turn on the style and we didn't steamroller them but as the old cliché goes, all the best teams have to win ugly sometimes and that's the mark of a top side.
Bear in mind that Manure couldn't beat Basel at home ffs. And they only beat Otelul Galati (who?) because they won two penalties and one of those was a dive.
There are no easy games in the CL these days.

Some of our players could certainly have done better without a doubt but you have to credit OM's defending. They stifled our attacking players so they couldn't express themselves.
Bearing in mind our start to the season you have to be happy, not only with a win but also a clean sheet. This is clearly progress.

As for all this stuff about 'If that was the Prem we'd have dropped points' - what does that mean? 1-0 is still a win in the Prem!
Your comment implies that as it's 'only the CL' we got away with the 3 points. As I said Marseille are a top side and playing them away is a whole lot harder than playing away to most Prem teams.
It's called the Champions League for a reason.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby starmandb » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:47 pm

SammyGunner11 wrote:Rosicky should start and either of Yossi or Theo. Not the type of game for Shava to start imo

Also, Ramsey should come off the bench (as should Shava) especially if we need a goal as I can picture them coming off the bench to give our game a bit of life.

good call sir
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Forest wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:
Forest wrote:Heres the player ratings of the match against Dortmund, reading them it sounds like Dortmund were just out of their depth and got over run in midfield.

http://www.goal.com/en/match/65969/mars ... er-ratings

Players to watch out for are deffinatly Remy and Valbuena.

I watched the extended highlights of that match and those comments are not very fair. Dortmund dominated the entire game but their final ball was shit and Marseille caught them on the break a lot. They played like the away team even though they were at home, we need to be wary of them doing the same to us.

Ah right, i know its goal.com and i personally didnt see the highlights so cant give an opinion, it was just something i found that had a comment rather than just ratings.

Yes Marseille have the players to counter very well. We need to do what United did to them last season.

utd go to marseille and get a 0-0 in an an uninspiring game and its job well done.
we go and win 1-0 and the game is forgettable?
it would have been long refered to had we lost
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Dejan wrote:putted some money on us winning but my mind says marseille will get the 3 points

well done mate.you can buy yourself a stoke ticket now on general sale
starmandb

Postby Forest » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:03 pm

starmandb wrote:
Dejan wrote:putted some money on us winning but my mind says marseille will get the 3 points

well done mate.you can buy yourself a stoke ticket now on general sale

He needs a plane ticket too lol.
@Coulston17

Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Dejan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:59 pm

So ramsey scored after I turned off the TV?
f**k off ramsey :naughty:

Anyway, I still fail to realize that people say we were exeptional. We were solid in the back but
for the rest we were basicallly shit. :?
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Dejan wrote:So ramsey scored after I turned off the TV?

Anyway, I still fail to realize that people say we were exeptional. We were solid in the back but

Who said we were exceptional?

:scratch:
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:08 pm

Inchpractice wrote:

'TOTALLY DESERVE IT!!!!!!!!!! We've been exceptional!'

there ya go, few pages back.
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Forest » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:14 pm

lol love Dejans quoting.
@Coulston17

Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:17 pm

Dejan wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

Like I said, who said that?
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:18 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:

Like I said, who said that?

You lazy f**k inch :sneaky2:
Sammygunner11 did.
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Re: Re: Marseille Vs Arsenal | Champions League 19/10/2011

Postby Leody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm

Forest wrote:lol love Dejans quoting.

+1 :lol:
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby whee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:25 pm

We were efficient, and largely clinical for a change. One clear opportunity, one goal.

That'll do me nicely from here until end of November, we need to get some momentum going. This team ain't finished, they've discovered some new heart last couple of games. That won't do their self belief and confidence any harm at all.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12