Marseille Vs Arsenal | Champions League 19/10/2011

Re: Marseille Vs Arsenal | Champions League 19/10/2011

Postby Leody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:24 pm

Inchpractice wrote:I seem to remember the replay showing that Theo was tackled from behind.
The ref didn't give a pen, presumably because he thought the defender got the ball.

Not saying Theo shouldn't have done better but clearly he couldn't even hit the ball properly because he was off balance at the time.

Like I said before though, the defender wouldn't have had a chance had Theo not been too casual. He took an extra touch too. He shouldn't have allowed the defender the chance to put the challenge in.

Overly critical, perhaps... but the good ones finish that chance with ease.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby golfinguy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:23 pm

whee wrote:Too right ARSH. Many positives to take from last night, some very encouraging individual performances.

And several others that were poor. I'm delighted we won and got all three points, very happy with that. But still very frustrated as well - we made it hard on ourselves.

I saw a few runs by Theo that players never fed him on. I think Song even looked right at him and still didn't make the pass. Theo generally wasn't very good, again, but if we would send him a few passes when he makes a good run it may have been different.

Arteta has failed to impress me thus far. So much so, I'd start Rosicky ahead of him every game. At least he moves it forward and tries to make things happen. Arteta seems to slow down play and rarely make a defense splitting pass. If we want a player to pass it sideways all day we had Denilson :lipssealed:

Song had an off day as well, but he's generally better so I expect him to return to good form soon.

Jenkinson is a defender that doesn't seem to think he has to defend. Its like playing with two wingers... and one of them isn't that good. If Valbuena had decided to attack down the left more (spent most of his time on their right) I think we would have had real trouble.

And Arshavin... still without his mojo. I think Fat Bastard nicked it.
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:40 pm

golfinguy wrote:I saw a few runs by Theo that players never fed him on. I think Song even looked right at him and still didn't make the pass. Theo generally wasn't very good, again, but if we would send him a few passes when he makes a good run it may have been different.

I agree. There's no doubt that Theo went missing again but at the same time it's frustrating to see him make so many decent runs and not get picked out.
We should take advantage of his blistering pace more often. People should be dropping balls over the top for him to chase several times a game.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby mg86 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:16 pm

We need Theo upfront but not on the wing. I think his recent form has shown this. Gervinho is far better suited for the RW spot. I'm not opposed to giving Arshavin a run on the LW until this winter window when I think we should go in heavy for Hazard since Lille aren't doing anything in the CL.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:53 pm

Only way that Theo is up top and central, is as a sub or after a change in formation. No chance he replaces RVP.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Chrissiii » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:16 pm

Leody wrote:Only way that Theo is up top and central, is as a sub or after a change in formation. No chance he replaces RVP.

Or if Robin gets injured. As if that's gonna happen though, right? RIGHT?! :hiding:
Chrissiii
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby starmandb » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:43 am

ThereIsBearCum wrote:f***ing dire performance, but a win on the road in the CL is always a good result
neither side deserved the 3 points really, we just got lucky
Theo is a sprinter, not a footballer

we put the ball over the line qed wd deserved to win.
we were dire in the 1st half v lens,parlour and overmars were shocking in 98 in the return at wembley against them
in mallorca in 2001[though 911 made for mitigating circumstances]
at home to psv in 2002 and ajax 2003
more successfull arsenal teams underperforming against worse sides than the marselle side we beat on wednesday.
a win is a win is a win
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby starmandb » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:55 am

mg86 wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:I thought the CBs were excellent tonight!

Koschielny for me was excellent, had several massive touches on the ball in the box to break a Marsaille attack. Mertesacker was a few times messy. Had a touch back to Szczesny that could have been an own goal, was completely not marking Gonzalez when he flicked it outside the goal and was turned on the side. Despite those errors, Koschielny kept us in it.

Massive result for us, very very proud of all the players. First clean sheet in the CL away in three and a half years. 1 nil to the Arsenal. :arsenal3:

yes mate,though we did beat twente and celtic 2=0 away in qualifying games.
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:05 am

friedslice wrote:What winds me up is our attacking tactics - as well as the defense - has gone to pot the past 5 years. It's like wenger only trains 2 touch mini football with possession the key to victory over goals scored. More than ever we seem to play sideways passes with no end product.
Re-watching the match as i speak, 54th minute we broke free through an empty midfield, Arteta released Jenkinson to run through the middle and he had theo in acres of space on the shoulder of the defenders just screaming for a through ball with a massive gap in the defence in which to play it and instead he held it up and got tackled.
Once upon a time Pires, Ljungberg etc would have thred that ball without needing to think about it and Henry would have been in on goal putting us 1 up. That was our major source of goals (defence splitting through balls) but even when they're available to play this current team choose a side ways pass. It's slow, it's aimless and it's the same old story with this current side.
The woeful defending masks the fact our attack is impotent.

I'm now 60 minutes into the 2nd time watching this match and I still don't think I've seen Theo touch the ball...please f**k OFF YOU USELESS ****.

we scored 83 goals in 09/10 more goals than we have scored in any of our title winning seasons and have a pretty good ratio in the other 4 of the last 5 years.the problem is not lack of goals it is keeping them out
starmandb

Postby starmandb » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:13 am

mg86 wrote:
Leody wrote:It didn't come off, Whee said 1 clear chance, 1 goal, we had more.

Kick save or not, it was a poor effort from Theo and if he's going to be touted for being a clinical finishes he needs to take those chances. And that's not the first good chance he's put right into the keeper this season. I forget exactly, but I think it was in he Dort match he did...

Exactly, I thought that miss was very bad, Theo has to finish shots like that, if Ramsey hadn't scored, that goal would have been the difference between a win and loss for us.

you know things are bad when you start losing games 0-0?
starmandb

Postby Leody » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:44 am

Chrissiii wrote:
Leody wrote:Only way that Theo is up top and central, is as a sub or after a change in formation. No chance he replaces RVP.

Or if Robin gets injured. As if that's gonna happen though, right? RIGHT?! :hiding:

I intentionally didn't say that... :rofll:
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:54 am

starmandb wrote:
mg86 wrote:
Leody wrote:It didn't come off, Whee said 1 clear chance, 1 goal, we had more.

Kick save or not, it was a poor effort from Theo and if he's going to be touted for being a clinical finishes he needs to take those chances. And that's not the first good chance he's put right into the keeper this season. I forget exactly, but I think it was in he Dort match he did...

Exactly, I thought that miss was very bad, Theo has to finish shots like that, if Ramsey hadn't scored, that goal would have been the difference between a win and loss for us.

you know things are bad when you start losing games 0-0?

:grin:

Well spotted.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby CraigGunner » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Great stuff the other day. People can go on doubting us all they like. We are doing just fine in Europe. Dark horses perhaps ???.
CraigGunner
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Maxduke » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:06 pm

No. :lol:
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Dejan » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:15 pm

CraigGunner wrote:Great stuff the other day. People can go on doubting us all they like. We are doing just fine in Europe. Dark horses perhaps ???.

Im happy off the points but havent been convinced by the way we played in the euro matches(nor the league).
We were decent at times against olympicaos but there were times they were all over us. Cant remember the dortmund game that much but we played poor against marseille(so did marseille).
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12