Marseille Vs Arsenal | Champions League 19/10/2011

Re: Marseille Vs Arsenal | Champions League 19/10/2011

Postby Leody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:28 pm

We had more than one clear opportunity.

Walcott was thru on goal and fluffed it. But he's a clinical finisher... :rolleyes:

And I don't buy he was fouled from behind, only reason he was caught is he was lazy with his shot and ignored the player behind him. Being too "comfortable"...
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby whee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:50 pm

What other 'clear' opportunity was there? Besides rvp firing at the keeper from a tight angle. Their keeper came off with gloves cleaner than when he went on.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Leody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:01 pm

Walcott. Early 2nd half. Got by his man at the top of the box and was 1on1, defender put in a challenge from behind as he shot and Theo fell on his ass as he put the shot directly into Mandanda.

Was as clear as they ever come.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:03 pm

Leody wrote:Walcott. Early 2nd half. Got by his man at the top of the box and was 1on1, defender put in a challenge from behind as he shot and Theo fell on his ass as he put the shot directly into Mandanda.

Was as clear as they ever come.

Mandanda saved it by his foot by jumping on the floor, another day it would of gone through his legs so wouldnt say directly into him.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:07 pm

It didn't come off, Whee said 1 clear chance, 1 goal, we had more.

Kick save or not, it was a poor effort from Theo and if he's going to be touted for being a clinical finishes he needs to take those chances. And that's not the first good chance he's put right into the keeper this season. I forget exactly, but I think it was in he Dort match he did...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Forest » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Fair enough thought you meant straight into him as in chest height.

Why is it a poor effort from Theo and not a good save from Mandanda? always wondered what the difference is when its refered to in general not just Arsenal shots/saves.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Leody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:27 pm

Because I'm a keeper, I know what Mandanda is doing... he's closing the angle and making himself as big as he can. That done, all he's left to do is hope the attacker hits him with the shot. Mandanda isn't reacting to anything, he just got lucky and Theo messed up...

A good finisher knows this and slots the ball outside the area he keeper can cover, knows the side the keeper likes to dive to and takes advantage.

Edit: watched it again just now, wasn't exactly like I remember... Manadana was farther away than I remembered and did react. The shot was still was well inside the post though, could have put that a foot or two farther away from Mandanda and still been inside the near post, leaving him with no chance to save it.

And another thing Forest... I'm not easily impressed by keepers. Just my nature. I play the position, have done for some time. You'll almost never hear me say anything about a great save 1 on 1 or for a penalty. Because saves in those situations are 75% luck. The onus is almost completely on the attacker, and a good attacker leaves the keeper with no chance at all of saving them.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Leody » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:53 pm

Let me be clear, I know I sound harsh on Theo. I'm not saying he's a shit finisher, just not the finisher people want him to be, or think he is. He's very average.

And when people on here were saying he's our best finisher... :dizzy: He's a country mile behind RVP.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby TRA Dial Square » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:56 pm

Theo took an extra touch trying to knock it into the near post w/ his right foot.

He could have [maybe not easily but still] shot first time w/ his left and away from Mandanda toward the far post... Would have been more chance of it going in that way or at least have another player slide in to the ball.
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Dejan » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:05 pm

Leody wrote:Let me be clear, I know I sound harsh on Theo. I'm not saying he's a shit finisher, just not the finisher people want him to be, or think he is. He's very average.

And when people on here were saying he's our best finisher... :dizzy: He's a country mile behind RVP.

totally agree with you mate
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby mg86 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:46 pm

Leody wrote:It didn't come off, Whee said 1 clear chance, 1 goal, we had more.

Kick save or not, it was a poor effort from Theo and if he's going to be touted for being a clinical finishes he needs to take those chances. And that's not the first good chance he's put right into the keeper this season. I forget exactly, but I think it was in he Dort match he did...

Exactly, I thought that miss was very bad, Theo has to finish shots like that, if Ramsey hadn't scored, that goal would have been the difference between a win and loss for us.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Inchpräctice » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:54 pm

I seem to remember the replay showing that Theo was tackled from behind.
The ref didn't give a pen, presumably because he thought the defender got the ball.

Not saying Theo shouldn't have done better but clearly he couldn't even hit the ball properly because he was off balance at the time.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby whee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:56 pm

That's why I didn't class it as a clear chance.

Clear cut chances are you and the keeper, not with some Frenchman clipping your heels.

We had 1 great, clear chance, and Rambo took it brilliantly.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby Trequartista » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:01 pm

At the end ofthe day, I and may on here would have takena point at the start of the game. We won, and even if the overall performance maybe warranteda draw thats still what many of us were hoping for! Cheer up! You could see the playeres were really happy to get the win and now we can continue to build on the last few results.
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby whee » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:12 pm

Too right ARSH. Many positives to take from last night, some very encouraging individual performances.
whee
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12