Arsenal Vs Olympiakos | Champions League 28/09/2011

Re: Arsenal Vs Olympiakos | Champions League 28/09/2011

Postby Forest » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 pm

3 points, job done and good minutes for fringe players, on to the next match.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:41 pm

Forest wrote:3 points, job done and good minutes for fringe players, on to the next match.

Pretty much sums it up. The fringe players didn't really help themselves to be honest, but this team in general just needs wins.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Lee71*98*02 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:07 pm

SE13 wrote:As stated, I didn't get to see as much as I would like to have done, but it's just a repeat of the last game I saw.

Ok, Arteta impresses, but aside from that, it's nothing different. He's not Cesc, but he's getting things right among a seemingly confused bunch of players.

Tbh as long as he gets the same results or better than Cesc...we've not won a thing with the man.where Cesc-less teams have.

we've lost some shockers with Cesc on the pitch. You dont always need a Fabregas out there to win games..

So nobody can prove having Fabregas in your team gives you more chance of winning things.

gelling does.
Lee71*98*02
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Est83 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:09 pm

Just watched the highlights, Ox-man is full of confidence! His movement is superb, I would have no issue with him starting any regular Prem game.

Olympiakos' first two chances came from Ox and Frimps defensive naívety. The fullbacks were out of position on both occasions and it was down to the pair to chase back (only five yards or so!) but they got sloppy. It probably says more about our philosophy on team defending than it does about those two players individually, as they both seem like fighters.

Judging from comments on here it looks like we had a mixed performance... I'm just happy we could rest a couple of key players and still get the 3 points.

MASSA LIKES BIG!
Est83
Member of the Year 2010
Member of the Year 2010

Postby TartanRaven » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:18 pm

We looked much more cohesive today. Signs of former elegance, but a fair bit to go still.
Deus Meus Et Omnia
TartanRaven
Ian Wright
Ian Wright

Postby Chrissiii » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:31 pm

This match hasn't given me much confidence in going into the match against the spuds
Chrissiii
Thierry Henry
Thierry Henry

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 pm

Decent performance, better attacking in the first half; better defending in the second.
Nice to see us hold on to a lead for a change, even when we gave the ball away.
Let's face it, would anyone here have been the least bit surprised if they'd equalised in the 92nd minute?
Needed the points and got them, unlike Manure.

Delighted to see Ox and Santos get their first proper goals. :)
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby VCC » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:54 am

Inchpractice wrote:Decent performance, better attacking in the first half; better defending in the second.
Nice to see us hold on to a lead for a change, even when we gave the ball away.
Let's face it, would anyone here have been the least bit surprised if they'd equalised in the 92nd minute?
Needed the points and got them, unlike Manure.

Delighted to see Ox and Santos get their first proper goals. :)

Was terrible how much ball was given away,we got the points with ten men Chamak is the biggest passenger i have ever seen in an Arsenal shirt.
VCC
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Arsenal~Fanatic » Thu Sep 29, 2011 6:41 am

My 2p

Despite conceding two goals , Olympiakos were the much better team in the first half. We were lucky not to
concede .Arteta did a fabulous block to keep us in the game . We were struggling to put together a string of
10 to 15 passes.

We had a much better second half . We looked in control .We defended as a team . It was really heartening
see that . Almost all the players put in a great shift in the second half .

Chamakh should only play for reserves .

Sagna surprisingly was owned today . He was beaten so easily . It was like playing without a RB . Sagna is
a class player though and hopefully he will regain his composure before the next game against spurs.

Arteta plays his heart out , each time he steps on to the pitch .

Song did a pretty good job in a makeshift role .

Mertesacker was a beast today . Made so many vital blocks and interceptions today .

Arshavin was invisible in first half although he improved in second half .

Chamberlain scored a very good goal , had some nice moments faded in second half .

Santos looked great going forwards , scored a brilliant goal and contrary to his reputation was
solid defensively too .

Rosicky had a decent game although he has to work mighty hard on his final ball .

Chesney was ok .

Frimpong had a decent game defensively , but he surely has to work on his passing range .
He had far too many misplaced passes today.

RVP and Ramsey did not offer much when they came on .
Arsenal~Fanatic
SE13
SE13

Postby Trina » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:24 am

Ive noticed no one has said anything about Frimpong. The reason I bring it up is because I was really looking forward to seeing him play last night and ended up quite disappointed. I dont think he did too much wrong, gave the ball away a few times with sloppy passes, but he wasn't in it like Ive seen him before. He seemed to lack the energy. Most times when he got the ball he passed it straight away.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Forest » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:31 am

Trina wrote:Ive noticed no one has said anything about Frimpong. The reason I bring it up is because I was really looking forward to seeing him play last night and ended up quite disappointed. I dont think he did too much wrong, gave the ball away a few times with sloppy passes, but he wasn't in it like Ive seen him before. He seemed to lack the energy. Most times when he got the ball he passed it straight away.

Sagna looked tired too imo.
@Coulston17

Yeeewwwwwwwwwww Rrrrreeeeeeds!
Forest
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Trina » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:33 am

You see I think differently about Sagna, I know he was owned quite a few times, but he never gave up.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Trina » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:40 am

Pat Rice

on the performance…
I think in the first 20-25 minutes we were really in it well. After that for about 15-20 minutes we maybe lost our way and they came back into it. Second half we had to knuckle down, fight and get our shape right which I thought we did better in the second half.

on Arsenal's goals…
It is unfortunate we didn't get the third but we also had opportunities on breakaways in the second half. They came, they waited for us, they broke us up in the middle of the park and in fairness they did well. You can't turn around and say we had all of the game because that would be unfair.

Needless to say I think we will be very, very happy with the three points.

on Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain…
He can go inside, he can go outside, he's got that injection of pace and I think what he needs now is to be consistent in his play. I am sure that is something he will be working on because he's certainly not a stupid boy. He has good people around him and they are telling him all the right things.

He is a very confident boy, a strong boy and he listens to what people tell him. I think he makes his own mind up because when you are a professional footballer loads of different coaches tell you lots of different things. What you have to do is pick out the best things that are applicable to you. That is something Alex will no doubt actually do. He is very friendly with Theo and no doubt he will give him the benefit of his experience as well.

From Arsenal supporters' point of view, they are going to be seeing a lot of this boy. Whenever he breaks in permanently he has a big, big challenge to now get in front of Theo. I know that Theo is a very strong-willed guy as well and he won't give in easy. It all bodes well for England anyway.

on a nervous night for himself…
I said before we played Dortmund that it is not the kind of evening I particularly want. It's never actually been an ambition in my career to be a manager. I'm quite happy being a coach. But when decisions go against the manager, which in my personal opinion wasn't right, we have just got to get on with it.

on defensive performance…
I thought that in general they battled very hard. I think that as we went into the second half we were tighter in the second half than we were in the last 20 minutes of the first half. People can have the ball right and left but it wasn't really causing us too many problems. They have actually got a lot of the ball but in actual terms of what Szczesny has had to save I don't think there was all that many chances.

on the goal conceded…
It was soft, yes. From a defender's point of view it was really poor.

on Robin's omission…
Robin's been playing a lot of games lately and it was just a question of Chamakh needing games. We just thought that we would give him a go. You can't say that Marouane didn't try. If he had a little bit more luck he perhaps might have scored a third goal. But you cannot fault him for his work ethic.

on Olympiacos' performance…
I thought Olympiacos played very, very well and whenever we go over there to play, one would like to think we would have qualified.

on whether Oxlade-Chamberlain & Walcott could play together...
What you have to do is see whether the two of them can compliment each other - that is something I don't know, the manager does not know and the England manager does not know either because we have not seen them together.

You can think as much as you like, but until it actually happens you are only formulating an opinion of your own. All good players can play together.

on Tottenham...
That is a completely different ball game at Tottenham The most important thing for us was to win, because it takes us closer to qualifying. We will think more about the Tottenham game when we all get together again on Friday. I am losing track of time - when you get older, that is what happens to you!

http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-archiv ... and-fight-
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:06 am

The amount of tripe being spilled after this game is laughable, especially from that beacon of football knowledge, the Sun...

Come across an article today saying how Tottenham will have a field day with our defence on Sunday, about how Song hasn't been on Song for a while, how Mertesacker looks like Bambi on ice when he has quite clearly looked very assured and calm and other such load of bollocks.

What about Tottenham's defence then eh? Hasn't exactly been a feckin fortress has it :doh:

We aren't going to win anything this season which means we aren't really a threat to anyone yet nearly every media outlet can't wait to see us crumble away, what have Arsenal ever done to warrant this sort of hatred from the media?

Don't give me that bullshit about how all teams get a raw deal because even my Manc, Chelsea and Liverfool mates all think the media take the piss out of us badly.

Back when we didn't even have an Englishman in the team we were villified for it, we were a laughing stock all drummed up by the media circus and yet now we have arguably the best crop of young English players around such as Walcott, Wilshere, Lansbury, Gibbs and of course Chamberlain and not any of it is mentioned, in fact its now the Mancs who get mentioned week in week out for being Englands savior just because they splashed out money they don't have on some very expensive English players...

When Liverpool fell out of the top 4, the media pinned it all on Rafa, not that fact they had a shit team, and they have willed them back to the top since day one, praising Dalglesh for spending obscene amounts of money on shit players like Henderson and Adam.

Maybe we should just become a proper debt ridden club, pay all our players £700k a week, buy £35m players only to bench them and buy our way to the title? Oh wait then we would "Ruining football"... :rolleyes:
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby elkanofan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:33 am

GunnGunn wrote:The amount of tripe being spilled after this game is laughable, especially from that beacon of football knowledge, the Sun...

Come across an article today saying how Tottenham will have a field day with our defence on Sunday, about how Song hasn't been on Song for a while, how Mertesacker looks like Bambi on ice when he has quite clearly looked very assured and calm and other such load of bollocks.

What about Tottenham's defence then eh? Hasn't exactly been a feckin fortress has it :doh:

We aren't going to win anything this season which means we aren't really a threat to anyone yet nearly every media outlet can't wait to see us crumble away, what have Arsenal ever done to warrant this sort of hatred from the media?

Don't give me that bullshit about how all teams get a raw deal because even my Manc, Chelsea and Liverfool mates all think the media take the piss out of us badly.

Back when we didn't even have an Englishman in the team we were villified for it, we were a laughing stock all drummed up by the media circus and yet now we have arguably the best crop of young English players around such as Walcott, Wilshere, Lansbury, Gibbs and of course Chamberlain and not any of it is mentioned, in fact its now the Mancs who get mentioned week in week out for being Englands savior just because they splashed out money they don't have on some very expensive English players...

When Liverpool fell out of the top 4, the media pinned it all on Rafa, not that fact they had a shit team, and they have willed them back to the top since day one, praising Dalglesh for spending obscene amounts of money on shit players like Henderson and Adam.

Maybe we should just become a proper debt ridden club, pay all our players £700k a week, buy £35m players only to bench them and buy our way to the title? Oh wait then we would "Ruining football"... :rolleyes:

One of the best posts i've ever seen!

Amen my bother. Like i said. It's not even a conspiracy, it's just straight up in your face hate!
elkanofan
George Graham
George Graham

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12