Arsenal Vs Bolton | Premiership 24/09/2011

Re: Arsenal Vs Bolton | Premiership 24/09/2011

Postby Chuck Woody » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:25 am

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Did you hear Wenger basically admit to playing RVP out of position? He said RVP likes to drop deep like Messi. It might have worked yesterday but it often leaves us short in the final third IMO.

Erm, it's not something the world doesn't already know...
I think RvP does an amicable job there but, he'd be far better used in a 442 as the second striker.
Chuck Woody
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Trequartista » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:55 am

Chuck Woody wrote:
Plymouth Gooner wrote:Did you hear Wenger basically admit to playing RVP out of position? He said RVP likes to drop deep like Messi. It might have worked yesterday but it often leaves us short in the final third IMO.

Erm, it's not something the world doesn't already know...
I think RvP does an amicable job there but, he'd be far better used in a 442 as the second striker.

+1

Yesterday it was almost like we were playing

Szczsney
Sagna Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Song Arteta Ramsey
RVP
Walcott Gervinho

at times
Leno
Bellerin Sokratis Holding Tierney
Ceballos - Torriera - Özil
Pépé - - Lacazette - - Auba
Trequartista
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby Zedie » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:23 pm

Dejan wrote:
Gunner Down Under wrote:Was impressed with Walcott today, as well as Ramsey.

Song just played too far forward.

wait what? Theo was so amazingly frustrating to watch.
The numbers of time he lost the ball is sky high really.

Arshavin played way better so he deserves to start

I get where your coming from, but Theo's pace was devastating today, they just couldnt handle him. ok, his shooting was woeful, but his crossing was out of this world and he made a big contribution overall.

Theo needs to practice his finishing, its like shot taking doesnt come natural to him at times. I was at the Fulham away game at the end of last season, and while everyone was warming up Chez, loads of people were taking practice shots, especially Theo. His shooting was really poor, but he ended up scoring that game.

He'll never have an RVP shot, but his all round game can have a significant impact on certain games.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Est83 wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:Ramsey was superb today i thought, involved in every move.

It's going to sound hypocritical seeing as we're always begging for players to shoot more often but I wish he would shoot less.

He always shoots from too far out and never gets anywhere near enough power. I don't think he's ever troubled a GK with those long range efforts.

He's just trying to find his range. One of them will come good at some point then there wont be any going back, remember when Cesc never used to shoot, then started, then scored a few then got even more confidence....

Hopefullye same will happen with him. He seems to be coming off that downturn in form that everyone has been struggling with recently.

I agree, plus there's also Arteta (and maybe Ox-man if he's involved a little more) who likes to shoot from distance. I can't remember which recent game it was, but a pundit noted that the shots from distance serve two purposes; apart from an obvious shot on goal and potential chance, it also makes the familiar two banks of four that Arsenal come up against, a little less likely to just sit back. The second bank of four midfielders won't just sit their and watch the sideways passing if they fear the 30 yard shots, they wont be happy to just sit back and let you have posession outside the box, they'll push out to close our players down, and in doing so create space between the defence and midfield for our players to exploit.

Cant we have you as a Sky Sports analyist instead of that twunt Redknapp?! Exactly what we need to do against teams like that. Make our play unperdictable, shoot from distance if they standing off. When they start to close down exploit the holes left.

Been saying that for ages, but its like no one at the club thought it? Its not like Wenger doesnt spend enough time in the stands to spot a glaring advantage like that....
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Zedie » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:30 pm

Est83 wrote:
Zedie wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:Ramsey was superb today i thought, involved in every move.

It's going to sound hypocritical seeing as we're always begging for players to shoot more often but I wish he would shoot less.

He always shoots from too far out and never gets anywhere near enough power. I don't think he's ever troubled a GK with those long range efforts.

He's just trying to find his range. One of them will come good at some point then there wont be any going back, remember when Cesc never used to shoot, then started, then scored a few then got even more confidence....

Hopefullye same will happen with him. He seems to be coming off that downturn in form that everyone has been struggling with recently.

I agree, plus there's also Arteta (and maybe Ox-man if he's involved a little more) who likes to shoot from distance. I can't remember which recent game it was, but a pundit noted that the shots from distance serve two purposes; apart from an obvious shot on goal and potential chance, it also makes the familiar two banks of four that Arsenal come up against, a little less likely to just sit back. The second bank of four midfielders won't just sit their and watch the sideways passing if they fear the 30 yard shots, they wont be happy to just sit back and let you have posession outside the box, they'll push out to close our players down, and in doing so create space between the defence and midfield for our players to exploit.

Exactly what we need to do against teams like that. Make our play unperdictable, shoot from distance if they standing off. When they start to close down exploit the holes left.

Been saying that for ages, but its like no one at the club thought it? Its not like Wenger doesnt spend enough time in the stands to spot a glaring advantage like that....
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:37 pm

Zedie wrote:
Dejan wrote:
Gunner Down Under wrote:Was impressed with Walcott today, as well as Ramsey.

Song just played too far forward.

wait what? Theo was so amazingly frustrating to watch.
The numbers of time he lost the ball is sky high really.

Arshavin played way better so he deserves to start

I get where your coming from, but Theo's pace was devastating today, they just couldnt handle him. ok, his shooting was woeful, but his crossing was out of this world and he made a big contribution overall.

Theo needs to practice his finishing, its like shot taking doesnt come natural to him at times. I was at the Fulham away game at the end of last season, and while everyone was warming up Chez, loads of people were taking practice shots, especially Theo. His shooting was really poor, but he ended up scoring that game.

He'll never have an RVP shot, but his all round game can have a significant impact on certain games.

The first 40 minutes he was absolutely terrible. In the 42th minute he broke free for the first time. The number of time he gave the ball away, well i like to see that statistic.
I was watching the game with some mates and theyre not arsenal fans, so they dont have red goggles on, and they asked me several times during the match why theo is an arsenal player because he's really average.

The only thing he got is pace. Arshavin did well so he deserves to start imo.
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Inchpräctice » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:18 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:I like that he shoots. Would you rather a frustrating sequence of sideways passing 20 yards out, culminating in losing the ball and getting countered?

No I wouldn't. You misread my post.
I didn't say I didn't want anyone to shoot from distance, I said I didn't want HIM to shoot from distance.
Sideways passing is very boring, but it's nowhere near as boring as passing the ball slowly into their GK's arms.
They can launch a counter from that as well if the GK is alert.
Let's face is, the fans favourite Denilson is better at long range shooting than Ramsey is and I don't accept this 'he's finding his range' stuff. That's what training is for.

When you're playing at this level you can't afford to be wasteful and you should know your limits. If you're no good at long range striking then pass to someone who is. Then go back into training and practice until you've nailed it.
Even when I play 5-a-side football on a Wednesday I don't attempt overhead bicycle kicks or Messi-style dribbling runs because I know that 99.9% of the time they will end in disappointment and losing possession.
I'd be delighted to lay the ball off to someone else and get an assist though.

I'd prefer Ramsey to lay the ball off to someone like Arteta who's far more likely to score from range. Even Song and Sagna are better at it tbh.
He played well and we won the game so I shouldn't moan really but it does irritate me sometimes.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby mg86 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:20 pm

Think we do need people upfront that can actually score as well, they tend to not be very good at defense.
Szczesny
Debuchy Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Ramsey Flamini
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Welbeck
mg86
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:14 pm

Fair chance of RVP breaking into the top 12 this season
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:22 pm

I honestly think if he doesn't get injured, he could potentially go past DB10 this season. From now until the end of the season, 20 goals isn't a lot in all comps.

I'd put money on that being his next wanted achievement.

He is closing in on Bergkamps Prem assist record as well, easily done this season too.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Dejan » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:25 pm

i say, 19 league goals for RVP this season
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:26 pm

Then add Europe and the FA Cup on top ;)
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby CynicalGooner » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:35 pm

Didn't know about the assists. That seems crazy, DB10 was an assist machine at times
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby starmandb » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:44 pm

The Goats Horn wrote:Van Persie looks up for it Today...

Emirates sounds like a graveyard :(

coz you wernt there mate
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Postby GunnGunn » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:47 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Didn't know about the assists. That seems crazy, DB10 was an assist machine at times

Bergkamp had 43 league assists, Van Persie has 36.
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12