Borrusia Dortmund Vs Arsenal | CL Group F

Re: Borrusia Dortmund Vs Arsenal | CL Group F

Postby Artemis8 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:44 pm

Still cant believe that goal Arsenal performances could transfer to the theater..
Artemis8
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:05 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Inch I think the point Leody is making is that it wasn't that we defended brilliantly, they were creating loads of chances but were just absolutely pants in front of goal. Whereas Man U created loads of chances and were ruthlessly clinical. Not much to do with our defence

I agree with him really but I was pleased just to see more commitment and desire.

It's a fair point but the Dortmund players are clinical finishers, we know that. They just couldn't finish because we were breathing down their necks and putting them under pressure whereas at Manure they could take all the time in the world to score.

You can't say there's no improvement between the two games. For a start Mert & Kos has to be a better pairing than Djourou & Miquel.
Gibbs also played far better than Traore did that night.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:39 pm

Inchpractice wrote:It's a fair point but the Dortmund players are clinical finishers, we know that.

Actually they are really not. They are just like we have been the past 5-6 years; 20 or so chances per game but scuff most of them, although Kagawa wasn't that wasteful last season. Clinical finishers are an expensive commodity
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:43 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:
Inchpractice wrote:It's a fair point but the Dortmund players are clinical finishers, we know that.

Actually they are really not. They are just like we have been the past 5-6 years; 20 or so chances per game but scuff most of them, although Kagawa wasn't that wasteful last season. Clinical finishers are an expensive commodity

They must've been fairly clinical to win the league. Unless they won all their games 1-0.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Is 2, sometimes 3 goals from 20 chances clinical? I wouldn't really say so. It was their defence and Kagawa's early season form that won them the league
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Re: Re: Re: Borrusia Dortmund Vs Arsenal | CL Group F

Postby Leody » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:33 am

Inchpractice wrote:
Leody wrote:Having read bits and pieces of this thread... I'm baffled how anybody thinks our defense was good. We could have easily conceded 4+ had Cheesy not been on top form, or Dort could have finished. Our defense was only slightly better than it was against manure.

No need to be baffled.
It was good because we were under constant attack, they dominated possession and yet we only conceded once to a lucky goal.
How can it be slightly better than Manure when we conceded 1 goal as opposed to 8? It was at least 8 times better based on the scoreline.

It wasn't a perfect defensive display by any means but as I said we actually WON headers from corners instead of letting them bounce freely into the box and into the laps of the opposing strikers.
We also defended from the front with Arteta, Benayoun and RVP trying to win the ball high up the pitch.
Kos was scary in the first half but in the second half he made some vital blocks and got a smack in the mouth for his troubles.
Sagna also cleared one attempt off the line.
We were bombarded with attacks and came out of it relatively unscathed against a very potent attacking team.

I'm baffled because we allowed more clear cut scoring chances than we did to man u...

The 8 we allowed to Manure took 2 fks and 2 wonder strikes from Young. Dort had multiple 1v1's that hey squandered in the opening 10 mins. On several occasions we looked completely lost.

If goals are all that you see in a game, then fine. But the total defensive performance was absolutely no better in my eyes. We were simply playing an inferior opponent.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Borrusia Dortmund Vs Arsenal | CL Group F

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:48 am

It was like playing against ourselves, they had lots of possession but lacked the ability to put it in the back of the net.

It is nice being on the other end of that for a change!
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Dejan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:29 am

Dortmund should have atleast scored 3. Subotic chance for example, hard to miss that one
Rest in Peace SE13 :(
Dejan
SE13
SE13

Postby Maxduke » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:06 pm

Inchpractice wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:

They must've been fairly clinical to win the league. Unless they won all their games 1-0.

They were missing Barrios last night too, I think he'd have took a few of them chances as I really don't rate Lewandowski much at all. It's a shame they went with Kehl instead of Gundogan too but I guess Klopp felt he needed more protection in midfield.
Maxduke
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby starmandb » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:04 am

Inchpractice wrote:Few things I forgot to mention last night.
We're currently a strange mish-mash of new players who clearly need to gel as they've never played together before.
There's a long way to go before we look like an organised outfit BUT I was impressed with the small signs of refreshing change e.g. finally having a CB that is tall enough to be first to the ball on virtually EVERY corner, and I like the fact that we now have the option of bringing Frimpong off the bench to try and hold on to a lead.
That means we can field TWO strong DMs when we need to instead of just Song & Denilson. Let's face it, bringing on Denilson was never going to help us hang on to anything.

I also notice that for the first time in years we are winning the ball high up the pitch in dangerous situations, mainly down to Arteta who did it twice in the first few minutes against Swansea. Last night it was RVP as well. Maybe he was inspired by Arteta?
Also nice to see that with Gervinho AND Theo we can torture the opposition LB and the RB and just to f**k with their heads we swap them around from time to time during the game. This doesn't happen with Arshavin.

It's very early on obviously but all these small signs give me hope that we might not be as bad as we think this season. The squad is not loaded with stars like Citeh but at least we have decent depth for a change, and we haven't even seen Santos, Ox or Park play yet.

agree with you mate and for me seeing denilson crumple like he had been shot when injured allowing the othr side to attack [everton home 09/10,leyton orient last season] suggests the boy lacks a bit of that gotta kill me to stop me mentallity we need right thru the team.but in my position as a defender i must stress a few times he came on last season and helped to steady the ship.
bolton home having lost diaby and wishere we were holding a fragile 2-1 lead when he cameon we went on to win 4-1
wolves[a] we were under the cosh for large parts of the game after chamakhs early goal he came on at 1=0 up and a fine finish from chamakh made it 2-0
stoke at home he came on for walcott and we held a 1-0 win.
i do believe denison will have a good career in a less physical league but frimpong[once he learns to channel his agression better]i believe will provide the kind of stuff we need in our midfield.
starmandb
Member of the Year 2018, 2020
Member of the Year 2018, 2020

Previous

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12