Borrusia Dortmund Vs Arsenal | CL Group F

Re: Borrusia Dortmund Vs Arsenal | CL Group F

Postby The Goats Horn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:40 pm

mg86 wrote:Hey guys who watched the game, one question. On a night where Dortmund put away their chances and were clinical, us as well with our shots on goal, what would a more realistic picture of this game be?

Not sure how to answer that question?

If you mean how many goals would each side have scored if every shot on target was scored...then Dortmund would win 6 -2

But on clear cut chances probably 2 - 2 ,including the 2 goals

Dortmund had the ball cleared off the line by Sagna and Gervinho was clean through but slipped at the vital moment.

Did Dortmund deserve the point.....certainly
Did Dortmund deserve to win......not sure but I don't think Arsenal deserved to lose :think:
The Goats Horn
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby The Goats Horn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:50 pm

Alex Song made 11 tackles last night; the most by an Arsenal player in the CL since 2006/07.

Interesting stat...
The Goats Horn
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby PLF » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:09 pm

yosifun wrote:
PLF wrote:Told people Song was one of the best DMs in the PL. Once he's back to his best we wont have any problem in midfield at all.

Generally speaking what we saw yesterday was looking more like our real first team> add to that Verm and Wilshere and you can see why we will end our trophy drought this year.

Agreed but we still need to find our rhythm in the offence, Walcott Gervinho and v.Persie still need time to gel, also Arteta needs time to adjust.

Absolutely. It will get much much better than people think. Arsene Wenger is a genius

We might not be able to match Manutd, but I don't worry about Chelski and Shitty at all.
PLF

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:31 pm

mg86 wrote:Hey guys who watched the game, one question. On a night where Dortmund put away their chances and were clinical, us as well with our shots on goal, what would a more realistic picture of this game be?

Honestly, their composure was very poor in and around the box. Lots of poor final balls and blazed shots over the bar, which is why I'm happy with a draw. Had their finishing been better they could have scored 6 or 7. At times they did cut through us like butter.

But if you don't score you don't score. It was very much like so many of our home games against the rubbish PL teams. We can have up to 20 chances but only score a couple
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CrimsonGunner11 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Didn't get a chance to see the game because I've been so busy lately. I have yet to see the highlights :lol:

Anyway, I was expecting a loss from this game (even though I predicted a win for us in the predictions thread), so you can imagine how relieved I was when I saw the scoreline. Unfortunately, I was a bit disappointed to hear that it was in the last 2 minutes when Dortmund equalised. The only thing I could think of after hearing that is, why couldn't we hold it 'til the end?

With all that said, I'm happy for the lads and happy with the result. Hope we won't regret missing out on 3 points when its all said and done

:arse flag.gif: :grouphug: :arse flag.gif:
Ramsdale
(Turner/Hein)
White Saliba Gabriel Zinchenko
(Tomiyasu/Niles) (Timber/Holding) (Trusty/Kiwior) (Tierney/Tavares)
Odegaard(c) —- Rice
(Xhaka/Lokonga) —- (Partey/Elneny)
Havertz
(Jorginho/Vieira)
Saka Jesus Martinelli
(Pepe/Nelson) (Nketiah/Balogun) (Trossard/ESR)

Last Updated: 07/02/23
CrimsonGunner11
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner
Predictions League 2011-12, 2017-18 Winner

Postby PLF » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:32 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:It's the damn 4231. It makes him think he has to help the attack

PLF wrote:and you can see why we will end our trophy drought this year.

:dizzy:

It would be very ironic if we ended our trophy drought with arguably the worst team we've had since the drought began.

I don't agree that we have the worst team. In fact I think we're better than the last two years
PLF

Postby StLGooner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:49 pm

PLF wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:
CynicalGooner wrote:It's the damn 4231. It makes him think he has to help the attack

It would be very ironic if we ended our trophy drought with arguably the worst team we've had since the drought began.

I don't agree that we have the worst team. In fact I think we're better than the last two years

And that is your right to have that opinion, but I don't share it with you.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Re: Borrusia Dortmund Vs Arsenal | CL Group F

Postby Leody » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:19 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
PLF wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

I'm with Chris. No way this squad is better on paper, in reality it's still too early to tell.

Having read bits and pieces of this thread... I'm baffled how anybody thinks our defense was good. We could have easily conceded 4+ had Cheesy not been on top form, or Dort could have finished. Our defense was only slightly better than it was against manure.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby maslo » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:19 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
PLF wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

wow yeah really our team is weaker than ever. we only have one star player this year and thats VP, we need those sparky players and IMO when we backed out of going for Mata (apparently) we really shoulda signed someone like hazard for that bit of class every team needs it, someone to create something from nothing. just hoping wilshere comes back at his best same with vermy (if they come back at all :dontknow: )
maslo
Charlie George
Charlie George

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:24 pm

The Goats Horn wrote:Alex Song made 11 tackles last night; the most by an Arsenal player in the CL since 2006/07.

Interesting stat...

If that stat tells me anything it's that we should rotate him more often.
Last night was the first game he'd played in weeks so he was raring to go.
Hopefully as Frimpong improves we can use him more and more and rest Song more often.

yosifun wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

and with the most competitive league since the drought began.

There's no doubt that it's the most competitive league but whether it's the worst team is debatable.
Someone would have to dig up all the squads for the last 6 years and compare them.
Off the top of my head I'd say that a CB pairing of Mert and TV5 is probably better than Gallas and Toure but it's too early to say when Mert has played 2 games.
A front 3 of Gervinho, RVP and Theo is not bad either. Has to be better than playing RVP and Adebayor in a 4-4-2 but again it's too early to comment on Gervinho.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby The Goats Horn » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Another interesting stat from last night....

Distance Covered last night: Arteta 11893m, Benayoun 11596m, Song 10743m, RvP 10531m, Gervinho 10118m & Walcott 8733m.

Arteta covered more ground than anyone ...thoughts?
The Goats Horn
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:21 pm

He did work hard but I'm surprised he ran more than Benayoun who was a bit of a headless chicken at times. Definitely willing to graft for the cause is Arteta, and take a clattering if he needs to

Where you getting these stats by the way?
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Re: Re: Borrusia Dortmund Vs Arsenal | CL Group F

Postby Inchpräctice » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Leody wrote:Having read bits and pieces of this thread... I'm baffled how anybody thinks our defense was good. We could have easily conceded 4+ had Cheesy not been on top form, or Dort could have finished. Our defense was only slightly better than it was against manure.

No need to be baffled.
It was good because we were under constant attack, they dominated possession and yet we only conceded once to a lucky goal.
How can it be slightly better than Manure when we conceded 1 goal as opposed to 8? It was at least 8 times better based on the scoreline.

It wasn't a perfect defensive display by any means but as I said we actually WON headers from corners instead of letting them bounce freely into the box and into the laps of the opposing strikers.
We also defended from the front with Arteta, Benayoun and RVP trying to win the ball high up the pitch.
Kos was scary in the first half but in the second half he made some vital blocks and got a smack in the mouth for his troubles.
Sagna also cleared one attempt off the line.
We were bombarded with attacks and came out of it relatively unscathed against a very potent attacking team.
groom suits for gooners with taste
Inchpräctice
SE13
SE13

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:32 pm

Inch I think the point Leody is making is that it wasn't that we defended brilliantly, they were creating loads of chances but were just absolutely pants in front of goal. Whereas Man U created loads of chances and were ruthlessly clinical. Not much to do with our defence

I agree with him really but I was pleased just to see more commitment and desire.
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby StLGooner » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:42 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Inch I think the point Leody is making is that it wasn't that we defended brilliantly, they were creating loads of chances but were just absolutely pants in front of goal. Whereas Man U created loads of chances and were ruthlessly clinical. Not much to do with our defence

I agree with him really but I was pleased just to see more commitment and desire.

Yep, plus "being under constant attack" means our defense wasn't good. Defense doesn't just mean our back 4, it means the whole team, so if we're under constant attack that means the rest of our team isn't doing their defensive duty. No surprise though really.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Matchday Chat 2011-12