FA Cup: Arsenal 0 - Blackburn 1

Read the latest match report written by a Goonersworld member.

FA Cup: Arsenal 0 - Blackburn 1

Postby TheArsenalPost » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:12 pm

For anyone that missed the game.

A Colin Kazim-Richards’ goal sealed the fate of Arsene Wenger’s men as Arsenal crashed out the FA Cup for another year after a home defeat to Championship side Blackburn Rovers.

This is a serious blow to Arsenal trophy hopes this season with the Champions League still offering an unlikely source of silver.

Wenger made seven changes to his side with the likes of Wilshere, Cazorla Walcott, Sagna and Podolski all left on the bench. The rotation saw Rosicky get some much needed game time in the middle of the park along with Francis Coquelin filling in at right-back.

The first half was nothing special and it was Blackburn who had an early sight of goal when Morten Gamst Pedersen’s free-kick found its way through to Martin Olsson, who saw his effort wide.

As the half progressed the home side began to exert their dominance, in possession at least.
Arsenal racked up corner after corner but failed to convert any chances in the opening exchange, the best effort saw Diaby forcing a save from Blackburn keeper Kean.

The best chance of the half came at the end with Rosicky threading a fantastic ball through the Gervinho. The Ivorian took a touch but dragged his shot disappointingly wide. It was a massive change and the Arsenal striker sunk to his knees in disappointment.

The home side came out for the second half a little sharper than the first with Giroud’s header and Diaby’s drive giving the home fans something to cheer about.

Arsenal continued searching for that elusive goal with Rosicky’s fantastic long range effort crashing the bar but Wenger decided to go for broke.

Approaching the mid-way stage of the second half, on came Walcott, Cazorla and Wilshere for Rosicky, Gervinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

But then, in typical Arsenal fashion, they conceded.

Martin Olsson raced onto a flick on down the left and fired his shot toward goal. Szczesny couldn’t hold and the ball found its way to Kazim-Richards, who’s bobbled shot gave the visitors the lead.

This goal proved to be the decider and handed Arsenal their first home defeat in this competition for 35 matches - a record going back to 1997 when Leeds had triumphed at Highbury. It was also Wenger’s first defeat to lower League opposition in the FA Cup.

Arsenal tried to pressure Blackburn in the closing stages with Monreal and Cazorla both shooting wide. Kean then made a super save to deny Diaby and then, in the 88th minute, he denied Walcott’s point-black header.

http://thearsenalpost.co.uk/2013/02/16/ ... ackburn-1/
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Re: FA Cup: Arsenal 0 - Blackburn 1

Postby Arsenal Tone » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby TheArsenalPost » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:13 pm

Not sure if you mean the result, or my writing...
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby kronickaos » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:25 pm

TheArsenalPost wrote:For anyone that missed the game.

A Colin Kazim-Richards’ goal sealed the fate of Arsene Wenger’s men as Arsenal crashed out the FA Cup for another year after a home defeat to Championship side Blackburn Rovers.

This is a serious blow to Arsenal trophy hopes this season with the Champions League still offering an unlikely source of silver.

Wenger made seven changes to his side with the likes of Wilshere, Cazorla Walcott, Sagna and Podolski all left on the bench. The rotation saw Rosicky get some much needed game time in the middle of the park along with Francis Coquelin filling in at right-back.

The first half was nothing special and it was Blackburn who had an early sight of goal when Morten Gamst Pedersen’s free-kick found its way through to Martin Olsson, who saw his effort wide.

As the half progressed the home side began to exert their dominance, in possession at least.
Arsenal racked up corner after corner but failed to convert any chances in the opening exchange, the best effort saw Diaby forcing a save from Blackburn keeper Kean.

The best chance of the half came at the end with Rosicky threading a fantastic ball through the Gervinho. The Ivorian took a touch but dragged his shot disappointingly wide. It was a massive change and the Arsenal striker sunk to his knees in disappointment.

The home side came out for the second half a little sharper than the first with Giroud’s header and Diaby’s drive giving the home fans something to cheer about.

Arsenal continued searching for that elusive goal with Rosicky’s fantastic long range effort crashing the bar but Wenger decided to go for broke.

Approaching the mid-way stage of the second half, on came Walcott, Cazorla and Wilshere for Rosicky, Gervinho and Oxlade-Chamberlain.

But then, in typical Arsenal fashion, they conceded.

Martin Olsson raced onto a flick on down the left and fired his shot toward goal. Szczesny couldn’t hold and the ball found its way to Kazim-Richards, who’s bobbled shot gave the visitors the lead.

This goal proved to be the decider and handed Arsenal their first home defeat in this competition for 35 matches - a record going back to 1997 when Leeds had triumphed at Highbury. It was also Wenger’s first defeat to lower League opposition in the FA Cup.

Arsenal tried to pressure Blackburn in the closing stages with Monreal and Cazorla both shooting wide. Kean then made a super save to deny Diaby and then, in the 88th minute, he denied Walcott’s point-black header.

http://thearsenalpost.co.uk/2013/02/16/ ... ackburn-1/

Nice dude! I'm still pissed as I update the front page... just want to write f**k f**k f**k f**k f**k everywhere lol
kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby TheArsenalPost » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:26 pm

Cheers. Haha, I had a tough time writing this, I hate writing when we lose it makes it worse having to keep reliving the moments.
TheArsenalPost
Tony Adams
Tony Adams

Postby kronickaos » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:34 pm

TheArsenalPost wrote:Cheers. Haha, I had a tough time writing this, I hate writing when we lose it makes it worse having to keep reliving the moments.

Yeah I feel you. Gotta put the emotion of being a fan to the side and just push on. I could never be on radio for that reason, OFCOM would have me off within 10 minutes of a loss. Oh well, on to next week i guess...

:cheerleader: :cheerleader: :cheerleader:

kronickaos
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Return to Arsenal Match Reports