Santos injured

Re: Santos injured

Postby Epic Fail » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:29 pm

Yeah, we're definitely going to lose top 4 because we will have to play arguably our best defensive player at LB for a few weeks... :rolleyes:

Clearly the news isn't great, but let's not pretend that the world has fallen in. City aside, we don't have a game until mid January against one of the sides around us, so there's games like Saturday which are perfectly winnable even with a makeshift back 4. Hell, we've been playing without a RB for weeks now.
Epic Fail
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:35 pm

Epic Fail wrote:Yeah, we're definitely going to lose top 4 because we will have to play arguably our best defensive player at LB for a few weeks... :rolleyes:

Clearly the news isn't great, but let's not pretend that the world has fallen in. City aside, we don't have a game until mid January against one of the sides around us, so there's games like Saturday which are perfectly winnable even with a makeshift back 4. Hell, we've been playing without a RB for weeks now.

That is the whole point. We have 4 CB's and have to play all 4 in every game because we have NO ONE else. NOBODY said the world had fallen in but we CANNOT afford another injury. You can be glib and sarcastic (without actually thinking things through) but many off our defenders are going to be out for quite a while. We have 6 games in 20 days and CANNOT REST ANY BLOODY DEFENDERS. Yes that is a f***ing problem.....
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby TRA Dial Square » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:38 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:
Epic Fail wrote:Yeah, we're definitely going to lose top 4 because we will have to play arguably our best defensive player at LB for a few weeks... :rolleyes:

That is the whole point. We have 4 CB's and have to play all 4 in every game because we have NO ONE else. NOBODY said the world had fallen in but we CANNOT afford another injury. You can be glib and sarcastic (without actually thinking things through) but many off our defenders are going to be out for quite a while. We have 6 games in 20 days and CANNOT REST ANY BLOODY DEFENDERS. Yes that is a f***ing problem.....

Tis a fact... How can you not see that playing ALL of our central defenders in all roles at the back, as not a problem E.F? lol
TRA Dial Square
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Epic Fail » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:02 pm

Fabrestuta wrote:That is the whole point. We have 4 CB's and have to play all 4 in every game because we have NO ONE else. NOBODY said the world had fallen in but we CANNOT afford another injury. You can be glib and sarcastic (without actually thinking things through) but many off our defenders are going to be out for quite a while. We have 6 games in 20 days and CANNOT REST ANY BLOODY DEFENDERS. Yes that is a f***ing problem.....

Actually, we don't have to do that. We could bring Miquel, or promote one of the reserves up and give them a chance. Or, god forbid, we have to play Squillachi now and again. I know he's useless but he's not THAT useless. If absolute needs be we can drop Song back into the back 4, giving one of the others a rest. Or we could, y'know, try 3 at the back if we desperately wanted to. There are options, even if they aren't perfect options.

As for playing CBs at the back, it's only a problem if they are bad at it.

Of course it is a problem, no-one in the right mind would suggest otherwise. But I'm happy to wager that the reason we won't finish top 4 at the end of the season (if that happens) will not be because of this injury. there are people we can afford to lose far, far less than a LB whose absence would have a much greater impact on our season. As I said before, if we can't win games against the likes of Fulham/Wolves/Villa/QPR/Swansea with this setback, we don't deserve top 4.

And next time you accuse me of not "actually thinking things through", do us all a favour and think before you type. Just because I hold a different view doesn't mean I haven't considered the alternatives.
Epic Fail
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Arsenal Tone » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Squillaci IS that useless, I'd have Miquel in ahead of him.

I'd also consider playing Coquelin at RB if someone needed a rest.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:06 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Squillaci IS that useless, I'd have Miquel in ahead of him.

I'd have Stepanovs instead of squelchy.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby ivan itchybum » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Epic Fail wrote:

excessive use of caps lock :rolleyes:
gooney wrote: I will have a bet with anyone who is willing to take Newcastle will finish ahead of us...how about loser leaves the forum?

13th of May 2012 Arsenal beat West Brom 3-2 to finish 3rd ahead of Newcastle. Gooney is still yet to leave the forum...

"Have faith in Ramsey, he'll come good"
ivan itchybum
Herbert Chapman
Herbert Chapman

Postby Epic Fail » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:14 pm

Plymouth Gooner wrote:Squillaci IS that useless, I'd have Miquel in ahead of him.

Well I did mention Miquel ahead of him. He's useless but then we are playing some, with all due respect, of the weaker teams in the league. If we had a fixture list of Spurs, United, City and Liverpool over the New Year, I'd be more concerned.

I've never seen a place so unnecessarily pessimistic as this place is these days. Sometimes adversity can be the making of young players. It isn't always bad news. Hell, United managed to survive some games the other year with Carrick and Fletcher at CB for heaven's sake.
Epic Fail
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby Fabrestuta » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:16 pm

ivan itchybum wrote:
Epic Fail wrote:

excessive use of caps lock :rolleyes:

I like caps lock. Yellow card for a poor quoting job though. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

(excessive use of rolleyes)
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby CynicalGooner » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Vermaelen is our left back for the forseeable future then, with Miquel as his cover, and he scares the shit out of me. 4 full backs out at once, f***ing!!
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:44 pm

CynicalGooner wrote:Vermaelen is our left back for the forseeable future then, with Miquel as his cover, and he scares the shit out of me. 4 full backs out at once, f***ing!!

I was watching the Everton highlights again the other night and i couldnt stop thinking that Verms in that one performance, outshone all the other LBs since Cole for us.

If we could clone him two times (clone 1 LB, original LCB, clone 2 RCB) id be over the moon.

Miquel aint that bad, he looked more solid against Olympiakos than a lot of the other experienced players 'fighting' to prove themselves.

Im actually quite impressed with the 4 CBs formation, has anyone else noticed that because DJ and Verms tend not to go so far forward so often, we seem to be a lot less suseptable to easy counters and the flailing that traditionally accompanies them?

We look hella solid at the back at the moment, corners seem minor now that Verms and scsenzny are about to cannon a header out or scoop the ball out the air.

I cant believe that injury is more tactically adept than Wenger at times.

While im resigned to some sort of niggling injury at some point to one of them, its the Arsenal way, it aint happened yet, so if we can get through this busy period, i recon we'll be alright!
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby gooner_7890 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:10 am

Santos is going to be a massive loss, sure at times he's a liability in defence but he adds another dimension to our attack because he helps create space for the likes of RVP and Gervinho when he attacks down the left flank. I still don't understand why Wenger played our only fit LB in a game that was completely meaningless.
gooner_7890
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Futuo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:59 am

Those that don't like 4 CBs, pop Song in as a CB, been done before. Arteta/Frimp as DM.

TV5 plays LB for Belgium doesn't he, so he's not a fish totally out of water.
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gooney » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:10 am

Loool few weeks, please tell me you are not serious. We have Santos out for 3 months minimum, it’s the early prediction. Could be worse for all we know. That leaves us with Gibbs who is out for 2-3 weeks. But more importantly he has never been fit for a whole month. So to count on him being fit for majority of season is just naïve.

That means Vermaelen as left back and Koscielny and Mertesacker as centre backs. That’s good if they can play every game which they wont. So what happens when one of them get injured?

Djourou with his concentration problems as CB for a prolonged time?
Miquel who is just a kid and not even a natural left back as a left back?
Squillaci as CB?

Im sorry, but Mertesacker is adapting himself and I would never play him with anyone except Koscielny or vermaelen as both are stable.

If you cant see how thin we are at the back and the damage it will have on the season. Then I don’t know what else to say. We need everyone fit to just make the top four, so to think we will make the top 4 with the likes of djorour, squillaci and miquel playing a lot of games is just nonsense. If we don’t buy a striker or a left back…….we will not make the top 4 and I would bet my house on that
gooney
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Futuo » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:36 am

Baines ??

But can't see AW spending over 10m on a temporary fix.
Futuo
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

PreviousNext

Return to On loan - 11. Andre Santos