Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:47 pm

ImageImage

Arsenal vs Barcelona 16/2/11 chat thread

Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Arsenal vs Barcelona 16/2/11 chat thread

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Wilshere a 7 leody, now you're just trolling ;)
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Arsenal vs Barcelona 16/2/11 chat thread

Postby Arsenal Tone » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 pm

I marked everyone up on this one.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Leody » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:52 pm

I don't know how many times I have to expain my ratings...

8's and 9's take truly amazing performances. He was great, throw out 8's 9's like candy then they lose meaning when somebody has a really legandary game.

That said though... he probably should get at least a 7.5... He did generate alot in both the attack and defense, but of no fault of his own the goals didn't come.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby GunnGunn » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:55 pm

Wilshere was better than Xavi and Iniesta.

Thats saying something at 19 years of age, and that he is English.

Is there a better English midfielder right now? Show him to me, because I AIN'T SEEN HIM!
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:00 pm

I know how you rate Leody, I still think you were being stingy. You're very precise about your scores so a 7 (not even 7.5 as you say) suprised me. Is an 8 really that legendary a score? Out of interest has you ever seen a performance that you would rate 9.5 or 10?

I thought he was amazing today, his touch and use of space was pure class and it had to be.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Yes, Messi putting 4 past us last year would be a 9 or 10... or Arshavin @ Liverpool, or Baptista in the CC.

Jack was amazing, he did influence the game a great deal, but there was not change in the scoreline as a direct result. He certainly played a large part in the final result though, if you catch my drift. Had he finished his chance his score would have been higher.

Edit: In summation, what do I do if I give Jack a 9 tonight and then in the next leg he puts in the same shift with a brace and 2 assists? I can't exactly give him a 13 can I?
Last edited by Leody on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby CynicalGooner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:06 pm

Can't chose between Wilshere & Koscielny, they were both magnificent and share my MOTM sticker
#YaGunnersYa
CynicalGooner
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Popey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:29 pm

jack was my man of the match follow by kossy who was amazing!

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Popey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:30 pm

Jay22 wrote:Cesc and Song were average by their standards today and we still managed to beat these ****. I love it! :D

I agree. but jack run the midfield today

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:47 pm

Leody wrote:Yes, Messi putting 4 past us last year would be a 9 or 10... or Arshavin @ Liverpool, or Baptista in the CC.

Jack was amazing, he did influence the game a great deal, but there was not change in the scoreline as a direct result. He certainly played a large part in the final result though, if you catch my drift. Had he finished his chance his score would have been higher.

Edit: In summation, what do I do if I give Jack a 9 tonight and then in the next leg he puts in the same shift with a brace and 2 assists? I can't exactly give him a 13 can I?

I suppose it comes down to whether you consider there to be equal distance between a 7 to 8, 8 to 9 or 9 to 10 etc. Or whether you would consider the difference between an 8 and 9 as bigger than a 7 and an 8.

I would be interested to know how everyone rates players in this respect?

I guess in your situation if you gave Wilshere a 9 for this and he scored 2 and assisted 2 in the next game I would look at how difficult they were and maybe give a 9.5 or a 10 if he literally had the crowd and viewers jaws on the ground for most of the game. I would say the jump from 9 to 9.5 takes much more than the jump from 7 to 7.5 so I would feel that the jump to 10 would cover it. Plus today he was brilliant for 100% of the game, if in the next game he scored 2 and assisted 2 but wasn't that effective for 40% (maybe leading to some negative moments) of it I would take that into consideration.

It is down to how everyone sees the jumps between numbers and what is important in a player's performance. I am not trying to rag on you, sorry if it looks like that, I am just genuinely interested.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Leody » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 pm

No worries rev, I know you well enough to know you're not ragging on me.

I've always been a very composed person, I don't get overly excited or depressed about anything... and I look at the big picture. Yes tonight was a very important match and the boys played great. We did play a very good team, but they're not as great as the media likes to hype them. I don't buy into all that bull.

So when that's considered, why is a 2-1 win over Barca worthy of straight 9's and 10's across the board... and the same scoreline against Fulham sees players getting 5's and 6's with some 7's and 8's peppered in?

I like to think I don't place as much importance on being involved in the scoring directly when I make my ratings, but perhaps tonight shows I do... I don't know. :dontknow:
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Zedie » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:14 pm

I try to base my scores on the performance of a player in the position he is deployed in. For me, Wilshire today put in a team performance against the best team in the world that was flawless regardless of his goals. My 10 for Kos came about because i considered him to have defended exceptionally well against the world player of the year for most of the game.

Our team played against an opposition with 3 nominated WPoY candidates and 1 eventual winner. We played them at their own game and came out winners, so some of the scores will be maxed out for the defenders because they did a great job. However, you look at the rest of the team and their defensive work today allowed us to win this game. Nasri's constant tracking, Wilshires tireless work in the middle, sublime composure and faultess passing was massive.

It took a team performance to overturn a 1-0 deficit and a team performance to keep us within a shout when we were down so i feel they deserve higher than average ratings than normal.
Zedie
SE13
SE13

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:36 pm

Leody wrote:
So when that's considered, why is a 2-1 win over Barca worthy of straight 9's and 10's across the board... and the same scoreline against Fulham sees players getting 5's and 6's with some 7's and 8's peppered in?

I do wonder that myself sometimes and it must be frustrating for the players for some performances to be considered par for the course because of who it was against rather than how hard they worked and how well they dealt with the situations they faced. This Barca team are phenomenal even though they are not the Demi Gods they are made out to be so we should get extra props for bettering them.

I think sometimes the goals and assists should add a bonus sometimes they don't, it depends on the situations of the match and their difficulty. I remember times when Anelka scored a brace or a hat trick but Bergkamp was clearly man of the match despite not scoring. Apart from the 4 goals Arshavin did nothing (feels odd saying that) against Liverpool, Baptiste certainly did alot more for the team in his 4 goal haul overall but Arshavin was probably up against better players, how much counts for how much?

It gets a bit deep though. What is the difference between an off form Liverpool and an on form Wolves for example. How deep should we go for a few ratings :lol:

I think Zedie's post explains perfectly why it is reasonable that the team could be worth med/high to high scores today. They also had the psychological factor to deal with which they defeated as well.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Fabrestuta » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 pm

I agree with you about better ratings against the top teams Leody, but Jack deserved an 8 imo. He was absolutely fantastic today.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Next

Return to Player of the Season 2010/11