Double the price of alcohol?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Double the price of alcohol?

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:10 pm

Just watching the news now and apparently the governments medical advisor wants alcohol prices to rise by at least double to stop the countries alleged drinking problem.

It has been endorsed by George Best's physician and alcohol watch groups and they want a minimum charge for each alcoholic unit in a drink.

Now check this, and i am not making this up....... under the guidelines they want to set up a £2.89 2l bottle of cider would go up to £11. That was actually quoted on the news, i didn't make that up.

This would make Britain the most expensive country in the world for alcohol twice, maybe thrice over. Using that kind of basis a £15 bottle of vodka would go up to about £57.

Now that may be at the extreme point of their rise range but even half of that is a disgrace.

Although this is not your usual major topic for a government i actually think that if the government do this then it could lose them the next election. I know that might seem extreme as alcohol prices is not your usual election clincher but i think the back draft could be that big.

I don't go out to drink anymore as prices are high enough anyway but do this to supermarket prices and i will be teetotal forthwith. Maybe that is what they want but i don't want the option fleeced from me like that, especially considering i am an extremely moderate drinker and don't deserve to have my drinking options moderated like this.

I am expecting a strong reaction from many on this site but i think even those who don't drink that much, just on principle, must be alarmed by this as this kind of thinking could spread to other areas.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Double the price of alcohol?

Postby Trina » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:18 pm

They can't do that!

We pay enough with how high the price is on everything else. Also booze isn't exactly cheap.
What annoys me about this is, we very rarely go out anymore. So like to have a few drinks in the house (not every night). It's like a treat for us, to sit and relax once the kids are in bed with a bottle of wine and a few cans.

I don't have a solution, but I do know this is just a ridiculous idea and yet again, an idea that will affect the average working person.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:28 pm

The prices that are being talked about are way above average and totally inaccessiable for any normal person but I do think that the price of booze is too low. It's ridiculous the prices you can pick booze up at.
Reinvestment before Renewal.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:30 pm

That was the counter argument they quoted on the news, that it will only affect the working class and less well off people without tackling the problem sufficiently.

You watch crime rates rise as well with thefts in offies and stuff like that. I bet some hard grafting off licence workers will get seriously hurt (or worse) in robberys that wouldn't have happened if this stupidness wasn't enforced.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:32 pm

Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:The prices that are being talked about are way above average and totally inaccessiable for any normal person but I do think that the price of booze is too low. It's ridiculous the prices you can pick booze up at.

I think the prices in the supermaket and off licences are too low but the prices in pubs and bars are far too high. A pulling together of the both would be ample.

The price increase they were suggesting on the news is beyond outrageous.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:35 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:The prices that are being talked about are way above average and totally inaccessiable for any normal person but I do think that the price of booze is too low. It's ridiculous the prices you can pick booze up at.

I think the prices in the supermaket and off licences are too low but the prices in pubs and bars are far too high. A pulling together of the both would be ample.

Yeah I completely agree. Pisses me off that you can go in Tescos and they're slashing the prices of booze to dirt cheap and won't do it on decent things like nappies or razor blades.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Libertine » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:51 pm

Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:I think the prices in the supermaket and off licences are too low but the prices in pubs and bars are far too high. A pulling together of the both would be ample.

Yeah I completely agree. Pisses me off that you can go in Tescos and they're slashing the prices of booze to dirt cheap and won't do it on decent things like nappies or razor blades.

seconded.....
Libertine
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Ades_Dancin_Shoes wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:

Tell me about it, apart from laziness, the price of razorblades is why i have a beard.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:05 pm

get an electric razor.
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:26 pm

Never work, they just get hairs caught or do an inadequate job.

I was just thinking that if the rise is done on the basis of a set charge per unit then bottles of drink such as absinthe will become virtually unpurchasable.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby gzagee » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:17 pm

AND WHAT ABOUT SCOTLANDS PLANS OF RAISING THE PRICE OF CHOCOLATES???!!?!?! :crazy:

Asbo, Lilmo, SL what are y'all going to do?? :dizzy: :lol:
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby absolutely_fabregas » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:37 pm

gzagee wrote:AND WHAT ABOUT SCOTLANDS PLANS OF RAISING THE PRICE OF CHOCOLATES???!!?!?! :crazy:

Asbo, Lilmo, SL what are y'all going to do?? :dizzy: :lol:

its a bullshit idea.never gonna happen

anyway i hardly ever have chocolate anymore, i cant remember the last time i had some
absolutely_fabregas
Member of the Year 2007
Member of the Year 2007

Postby Melksham Gooner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:50 pm

This is ridiculous. It would certainly decrease the amount of alcohol being consumed - I can just about afford a night out at the Union at the moment.

Increasing the price of alcohol would work, but it doesn't need to be by that much. There must be a better way of decreasing alcohol consumption. This is a very, very bad idea, and I imagine it will be met with mass protests should it be passed.
~ Victoria Concordia Crescit ~

This calls for a very special blend of psychology and extreme violence.
Melksham Gooner
Nigel Winterburn
Nigel Winterburn

Postby Andreys_Does_Simples » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:12 pm

Melksham Gooner wrote:This is ridiculous. It would certainly decrease the amount of alcohol being consumed - I can just about afford a night out at the Union at the moment.

Increasing the price of alcohol would work, but it doesn't need to be by that much. There must be a better way of decreasing alcohol consumption. This is a very, very bad idea, and I imagine it will be met with mass protests should it be passed.

If people protest I will find it a very sad reflection on society. It would be a complete f**k up of life that people will take to the street over that yet they're not bothered on ID cards that are supposed to be brought in or the fact the banks just f***ked us over.
Andreys_Does_Simples
Match Reporter

Postby Reverend Gooner » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:19 pm

I completely agree ADS, it is embarrassing. Sadly i do think that this has more chance of losing labour the election than ID cards or the banking crisis (well 50/50 on the banking crisis).
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Next

Return to The Big Debate