Double the price of alcohol?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Re: Double the price of alcohol?

Postby Bristol_Gunner » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:24 pm

making them pay more wont stop the supply of booze to children and your just making it unfair on the responsible drinkers. You already pay an arm and a leg for alot of items but i would agree the idea of protests is a bit farfetched. Tbh its obviouse that the issue here is the cider riding kids you get at some shitty local park on a friday night.
Bristol_Gunner
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby SE13 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:59 pm

They were talking about making it a minimum of 50 pence per unit. That would make your average can of Fosters/Carling £1 each. As I already pay £7 for eight cans I fail to see what it's going to do.

But £57 for a bottle of vodka is outrageous.

What they need to do to cut down on the drunkenness is stop the pubs from supplying those cheap slammers.

It isn't a new thing, 25 years or so ago, I was out every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night getting tonked up as were several thousand other people in the various pubs and clubs I went into. And having been abroad quite a number of times it's much the same in Holland, Germany, France, Belgium and Spain.

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby She_Gunner_Wales » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:09 pm

We pay enough for the cost of living as it is without slamming extortionate prices on alcohol, it may reduce binge drinking but it wont stop it, but only cause more probs in other areas like crime.
At the same time i wouldnt put it passed the gov putting this through, anything to make them a pretty packet and hit the tax payer where it hurts... AGAIN!
She_Gunner_Wales
Graphics Team

Postby SE13 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:46 pm

If they were really that worried about it, they would ban it altogether. But we all know that isn't going to happen because it's a handy earner for them.

Statistics show that 99% of the adult UK population drink. That's 99% of the adult population lining the coffers of HM Government. How many of those people are "binge" drinkers? I'll bet it's a peanuts amount!

Please note that my comments are my own view, and not that of GoonersWorld. Everything I write is subject to © 2007-2013, and is my own work unless quoted otherwise.
SE13
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby damo1583 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:02 pm

It will do absolutly nothing other than to fatten up the exchequer...........

People will always drink and it will just lead to a blackmarket in booze.......

Hmm come to think about it, bring it on I could make a fortune as a Booze Baron..........kerrrrrching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Who you tryin' to get crazy with ese? Don't you know i'm LOCO?
damo1583
David Rocastle
David Rocastle

Postby gzagee » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Bumped

The binge drinkers' by-law: Sale of cheap alcohol to be banned by ten councils
A ground-breaking bylaw that would ban the sale of cheap alcohol across a whole county has been drawn up in a bid to cut hospital admissions.
The plans would see a minimum price set of 50p per unit of alcohol - meaning a bottle of wine would cost a minimum of £4.50, and a two-litre bottle of cider £5.50.
The by-law would also end pub loyalty--card schemes, with anyone who breaks the rules being hit with a £500 fine.
The draft has been drawn up by the leaders of Greater Manchester's ten councils and would make the region the first place in the country to outlaw cheap drink.
Town hall chiefs say they want to force the introduction of a national minimum-price plan and say the new rules would reduce the number of people admitted to hospital because of alcohol by nearly 5,000 a year.
The by-law has already won the backing of Prime Minister David Cameron, who said he would look at the draft 'very sympathetically'.
Councils in Cheshire, Merseyside, Sussex and Devon - as well as the Welsh Assembly and the government of Jersey - have considered following suit.
But plans for a 45p minimum were voted down in the Scottish parliament, despite the support of leading doctors and police.
A report on the first draft of the by-law will be discussed by council chiefs on Friday.
Stockport council chief executive Eamonn Boylan, who drew up the document, said it was still 'a work in progress'.
He said a country-wide ban was the best way to curb high levels of alcohol harm.
But he said Greater Manchester would continue to push forward with the by-law in the meantime. Mr Boylan's paper includes the first draft of the by-law.
It reads: 'No individual, business, company or temporary licence holder based within the area, whether classified as off-licence or on-licence, shall offer the public sale of alcohol at any time without exception at a price less than fifty pence, or equivalent value of euros at the time of sale, per unit of alcohol.'
The seven-section draft framework says that the unit content of any alcoholic drink must be 'clearly advertised' and forbids 'any loyalty, bonus, reward, discount or any other special offer' that would allow alcohol to be bought through an accrual scheme.
The minimum price would be reviewed every year.
Supermarket giants have objected to the plans and warned of people going to neighbouring towns and cities in search of lower-priced alcohol.
Mr Boylan said: 'This is still very much a work in progress.
'What our work has unearthed is evidence to support the case for minimum pricing.'
A special task group will now investigate the legal, economic, cross-border and enforcement implications of a bylaw.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z167oIpqBI
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby StLGooner » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:04 pm

Might as well kill SE13 now. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Previous