Video Tech?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Five refs or Video Tech

Five refs
21%
Video technology
79%

Total votes : 43

Re: Video Tech?

Postby Arsenallover » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Brilliant post !! youve got some great info on this site, defo gona follow.

Postby Fabrestuta » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:57 am

I am open to goal line tech but still against video replay. I still haven't seen an argument that truly sways me away from that.
Fabrestuta
Rest in Peace
Rest in Peace

Postby Popey » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:41 am

Reverend Gooner wrote:Anyone who says no to video tech is an enemy to the sport

I agree. so is blatter and co.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Chuck Woody » Sun May 01, 2011 8:16 am

Calls for video technology are getting louder now.
Chuck Woody
Lee Dixon
Lee Dixon

Postby JordanTheGunner » Sun May 01, 2011 10:19 am

Especially when goals are given when noone scored.
Follow me on twitter @JordanLovesey!

The only proven winner in red and white at this club? Arsene Wenger. Sack the board.
JordanTheGunner
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Trina » Wed May 04, 2011 11:18 am

Just been reading the papers and they are saying fifa have agreed to test it for goal line. They have given firms until 3rd June to put forward the technology.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed May 04, 2011 11:38 am

That is a start but they need to do that for everything, including dives, penalties and off the ball incidents. One step at a time though.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 04, 2011 12:34 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:That is a start but they need to do that for everything, including dives, penalties and off the ball incidents. One step at a time though.

I think that is too much, and will take away from the game, and there will be too many stoppages, and then it will be just like American Football.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Wed May 04, 2011 12:48 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Reverend Gooner wrote:That is a start but they need to do that for everything, including dives, penalties and off the ball incidents. One step at a time though.

I think that is too much, and will take away from the game, and there will be too many stoppages, and then it will be just like American Football.

Not if they do what tennis, rugby and cricket does and give each captain 3 appeals only with a correct appeal keeping 1. The main thing though is that if the ref wishes he could look himself.

I would take a few short (and they would be short as the video won't be as difficult to analyse as say cricket) if it means that games and the table is concluded fairly. Plus the time it takes some teams to have a little huff and puff at the moment won't be much shorter than it would take to check.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby GunnGunn » Wed May 04, 2011 12:58 pm

ChVint22 wrote:

Thats why i am sceptical of any of this tech being brought in.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Re: Re: Video Tech?

Postby Leody » Wed May 04, 2011 1:13 pm

GunnGunn wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

Something like that line tech they use in tennis would be great for goals...

As for dives and play acting and the like, I would love to see a review board that watches the games closely after the conclusion. Then, retroactive yellow cards for dives and play acting. If two are given for a single match, then a ban just like a red card. And bans just like they have for accumulated yellows.

That would never happen though...

But they could fix the problem without adding needless stops to the match, they just choose not to.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Postby Trina » Wed May 04, 2011 1:19 pm

I disagree with people saying it will take too long. I've seen it often enough in rugby and it doesn't take long. Also there would have to be rules, as Rev said 3 appeals.

I also agree about the ref being able to look at it if he is unsure. I remember watching an interview with Holloway about something that had happened. It happened, within 10 seconds he had seen the reply and knew it was a wrong decision.

So if you are allowed 3 of those a game, it aint going to take up loads of time which people seem to think it will do.

From what I read earlier, they are looking at just goal line. So for example it would be used for things like with Chelsea last week, the barca game last night when Real scored and it was disallowed. Wouldnt even be used that much.

I think its a good thing and is needed. For some reason ref's and linesmen seem to be getting worse imo.
Le Boss
Trina
The Boss
The Boss

Re: Re: Video Tech?

Postby StLGooner » Wed May 04, 2011 2:05 pm

Leody wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

As for dives and play acting and the like, I would love to see a review board that watches the games closely after the conclusion. Then, retroactive yellow cards for dives and play acting. If two are given for a single match, then a ban just like a red card. And bans just like they have for accumulated yellows.

But they could fix the problem without adding needless stops to the match, they just choose not to.

I wouldn't mind that, but please not during the game. Human error is part of sports, if you take that out, then you change the game, and I don't think for the better. I know that sounds silly to some, but even if reviewing something only takes a few seconds, the flow of the game still has to be stopped, and I don't want that in football.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Re: Re: Video Tech?

Postby Leody » Wed May 04, 2011 2:13 pm

ChVint22 wrote:
Leody wrote:
GunnGunn wrote:
ChVint22 wrote:

I wouldn't mind that, but please not during the game. Human error is part of sports, if you take that out, then you change the game, and I don't think for the better. I know that sounds silly to some, but even if reviewing something only takes a few seconds, the flow of the game still has to be stopped, and I don't want that in football.

I agree.

There are tools out there that could instantly notify the ref that the ball had crossed the line... use them.

Save the rest for later. Sure there will still be cheats who try to con the ref, but if they know they're facing a ban later maybe they'll think twice. And some will stop. At least it will reduce the problem.

Things like Rooney's elbow wouldn't have escaped punishment. That was just ridiculous.

Or Vidic's hand this week... he misses the next match with a red, or at least has a yellow added to his season tally.
This space used to be more fun...
Leody
George Graham
George Graham

Previous

Return to The Big Debate