Video Tech?

Debate about anything going on in the world. Please remember, everyone has their own opinion.

Five refs or Video Tech

Five refs
21%
Video technology
79%

Total votes : 43

Re: Five Refs or Video Tech?

Postby gzagee » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:39 pm

SE13 wrote:
gzagee wrote:I bet Platini's chipper that none of the 5 refs or video technology was on display last night...

I wonder what he'd be saying today if it was against France.........???

True story
gzagee
Member of the Year 2008
Member of the Year 2008

Postby Fordy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:40 pm

the irish will talk about what happened last night for years to come, and to me its what make football great.

A story about henry handballing but video reff reversed it wouldnt last very long would it
Fordy

Postby Popey » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:07 pm

Fordy wrote:the irish will talk about what happened last night for years to come, and to me its what make football great.

A story about henry handballing but video reff reversed it wouldnt last very long would it

sorry fordy but that's maybe the stupiest post ever.

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Fordy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:11 pm

Popey wrote:
Fordy wrote:the irish will talk about what happened last night for years to come, and to me its what make football great.

why is it?
Fordy

Postby Popey » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:18 pm

Fordy wrote:
Popey wrote:

why is it?

so cheating is part of football, yes.

but you wouldn't forbit cheating if you could?

"Flamini played in more CL finals and won more trophies in England than anyone at Spurs"

madJens
bacary-sol-cashley
vieira-cesc
freddie-alexis-pires
dennis-thierry
Popey
Bertie Mee
Bertie Mee

Postby Arsenal Tone » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Frances goal might have been a talking point, but if Ireland had got a result then that would have been a bigger talking point.
Raya/Ramsdale
White/Tomiyasu--Saliba/Timber--Gabriel/Kiwior--???/Zinchenko
???/Jorginho
Odegaard/Smith Rowe----Rice/???
Saka/Jesus-------------------Martinelli/Trossard
???/Havertz
Arsenal Tone
SE13
SE13

Postby Fordy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:28 pm

Popey wrote:
Fordy wrote:
Popey wrote:

why is it?

so cheating is part of football, yes.

but you wouldn't forbit cheating if you could?

no i wouldnt

i dont want football to be perfect, i feel in love with a sport that isnt perfect and that i spend hours debating with my mates about.

The debates come from lots of things and some of it is wrong dissions and crap like that, i love all footbal and everything that comes with it and i love it a lot less now than i used to do.

When shocking things like this happen its what is talked about for years and thats what i love about football.
Fordy

Postby Fordy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:29 pm

in all honesty i love talking about the game more than i enjoy watching it if that makes any sense
Fordy

Postby Briggsy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:19 pm

I've said 5 referee's for this reason, one of the main reasons why football is so great its the same from grass roots all the way to the premiership. 1 ref 2 lino's if the premiership was to get video refs it would slow the game down imo and you wouldn't see it over Hackney Marshes. It'll make refin at lower leagues a lot bloody harder. But in saying that its hard enough getting 2 lino's on a sunday
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby GunnGunn » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Surely video technology would only be used on extremely controversial circumstances? Such as penalty decisions, bad tackles, offside goals?

I fail to see how video technology would cause any sort of slowdown to the game if it was implemented properly and the ref still had the final say on anything.
They see' me Trollin', they hatin'
GunnGunn
Arsène Wenger
Arsène Wenger

Postby Briggsy » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 pm

Ball may or may not cross the line? We goto the Video ref he rules no goal how do you restart the game?
Briggsy
Dennis Bergkamp
Dennis Bergkamp

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:31 pm

I hear you Fordy and i do agree that the "talking points" are some of the main things about football.

However have you considered that with these kind of points becoming less frequent with video evidence that people might talk about other things more like how the game is run, how the game is set out and how the authorities apply rules and regulations and how they have changed football?

It is controversial on-pitch talking points that often mask or prevent talk among fans about those kinds of things and if they are spoken about more, especially in the media (as they have to talk about something) then maybe other changes can happen.

Also if video refereeing comes in it will highlight the quality of refs considerably as they will see how many decisions they get wrong as it goes. That in itself would be a big talking point, if a ref keeps getting loads wrong.

Fundamentally i agree with you though and that is why i think the tennis system should come in. Each manager/captain has 3 calls all match if they waste one it goes, if it sticks then they keep it.

That way big decisions will more often than not be made correctly with video evidence but if a team wastes them then there is a good chance something will be missed and the controversy begins again. Who do you blame, the ref or the manager/captain for wasting the 3 calls?
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:37 pm

TheOne2Smooth wrote:Ball may or may not cross the line? We goto the Video ref he rules no goal how do you restart the game?

Exactly!! Not everything is cut and dry with Video, and as I mentioned before, video doesn't show everything, even with a thousands cameras. We have video tech over here for various sports now, and refs still get it wrong. It will never be perfect so quit trying to make it that way.
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Reverend Gooner » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:52 pm

TheOne2Smooth wrote:Ball may or may not cross the line? We go to the Video ref he rules no goal how do you restart the game?

That is one area they need to look at if it does not go out of play soon after the incident (which it often does) but things like that shouldn't prevent it happening. Sensible thinking should come to an acceptable set of rules for video reffing.
Reverend Gooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby StLGooner » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Reverend Gooner wrote:
TheOne2Smooth wrote:Ball may or may not cross the line? We go to the Video ref he rules no goal how do you restart the game?

That is one area they need to look at if it does not go out of play soon after the incident (which it often does) but things like that shouldn't prevent it happening. Sensible thinking should come to an acceptable set of rules for video reffing.

One of my fears Rev is that this will just open up a Pandoras Box of issues. The problem is, that even with video evidence, the human eye chooses to see what it wants, now some things will be clear, and a decision can be justifiably made, but you would be surprised how many times (even in slow motion video) video just doesn't show eveything, or there is a player or ref, or something in the way of the camera angle, and you just can't get a definitive answer from other camera angels. Its all seems very easy "just look at the video it will tell you", but its not, you would think that with all the technology in the world that it would be simple, but I have yet to see a perfected system for video replay. Just watch the NFL sometime, they get at least one call wrong every week, and it brutally slows down an already very slow game. I know you Brits don't want to slow down your beloved game and have it resemble a yank sports game. ;)
Formerly ChVint22
StLGooner
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to The Big Debate